Little bird

July surgery roll call

MK, may I ask what your post-op complications were and how are you doing now?

Hi everyone. This is a very long post. 

I think I'm finally ready to tell my surgery story without being too overwhelmed. I have to warn you, it'll be graphic. There really isn't any way around that so if you're squeamish or aren't interested in TMI then go ahead and skip along.

The first issue was during preop, my doctor orders and mid back epidural to help with pain control after surgery. They had trouble placing it so it wasn't in the ideal position.  It was a long painful process and it really put me in a bad frame of mind. I wasn't able to talk to my surgeon, I remember seeing him outside the door, but he never came in. I was crying from the ordeal by the time they wheeled me back. 

Just to let you know, on a sidenote, during my initial appointment with the surgeon he talked about having to do my surgery open and not laparoscopic. He said it all depended on if he was able to feel my ribs properly for good body margins or something like that. Now both of his nurses in the visits prior felt around my tummy and they thought it wouldn't be a problem. His advice, was to stick to the pre-op diet, lose as much weight as possible to help my chances. I did, and lost another 20 pounds. Total of 80+. I went in worried but confident that he was going to attempt lap first and if it was not possible then switch to open.  This was the game plan in his office.

Surgery lasted about six hours and I woke up with 32 staples and a 12 inch incision from breastbone to bellybutton.  I was really disappointed. From my understanding, my Gall bladder removal was more complicated than the actual bypass. It was extremely large. Twice the size shown on a previous ultrasound and was full of stones that could actually be felt. I ended up needing two drains just because my gallbladder was so bad. 

Day one and day two were pretty standard. I was on the clear liquids like everyone, enjoying my ice chips, and sipping my little ounces of water. Walking around the hallway a little bit, normal gas pain in the shoulder, using the restroom etc. 

Day three I started getting nauseous. I had started drinking full liquids and everything was making me retch. They started increasing my IV fluid, took away everything by mouth and were giving me two different types of medication for nausea. Nothing helped. every time I moved Id start dry heaving.  Now dry heaving every hour or so with a giant incision is not fun. But the pain wasn't the worst part it was just constantly feeling like you're going to vomit. They finally got the nausea settled by adding a motion sickness patch. 

Day four was better. I was back to roaming the halls and re started the clear liquids. I was resting comfortably and was tolerating my crushed pills every six hours. Still had IV fluids around the clock.

This is also the day that I got to see my incision for the first time. Shocked is the first word. I wasn't prepared. When I asked the resident if my Surgeon had tried laparoscopic first he took a look and said no it doesn't appear that way otherwise you would have a small incision from the scope. I was instantly ticked off. And I still am. We know now that he would've had to have switched to open because of the condition of my gallbladder, but the fact that he didn't even try lap really makes me angry and untrusting of him.  My follow up to get my staples removed is on the 18th and believe me this will be my first question. 

Early-morning of day five and basically everything went to crap. Literally. Major diarrhea! If my husband wouldn't have been in the hospital with me right there helping me out out of bed then I can't imagine how much worse it could have been. I am so thankful that he was there to help me. If not, it would've been 10 times more humiliating. He took care of all of my needs. Mind you I was not able to twist, reach or bend at this point.  So back to more IV fluids, and no liquids by mouth whatsoever. I had to "collect "everything that left my body.  They needed to measure everything in everything out. Not surprisingly, it was my husband that noticed during day six that my watery diarrhea looked like blood. The nurses collecting the samples throughout the night never said anything.  The next two days were full of multiple CAT scans, and multiple x-rays and bloodwork every four hours. They checked for a leak which was negative they checked for a pulmonary embolism which was negative also. My blood count was dropping extremely low and they started talking about moving me to ICU.  All they knew was that I had a lower G.I. bleed but they couldn't find the cause. I had four separate teams of doctors from four separate specialties coming in constantly asking the same questions over and over. Changing this medicine and ordering a new medicine, I was so tired. Missing my kids. Overwhelmed. 

Day seven and my blood counts stabilized so they decided to just watch and wait. They were concerned that any invasive testing like a colonoscopy would aggravate the problem and make it worse. Because I was not able to leave my room for two days or so I was very weak and swollen from all of the fluids they have been giving me.  I couldn't even make a fist or bend my toes but this didn't seem to be a concern to anyone. 

Day eight and I was supposed to be released. Nausea was under control the diarrhea was almost completely resolved and all my labs were stable. Then my oxygen started dropping randomly. By mid day, it was pretty clear they were not going to let me go home and we're ordering an overnight oxygen saturation study. I have found out since then, that both lower lung lobes were collapsed(which is common after abdominal surgery), but that I did not need supplemental oxygen at home. 

It was this evening that a general practitioner who was covering for a different doctor heard about me and decided to stop by to see how I was doing. She was so wonderful. She actually listened to my complaint, which at this point was the fact that I was so swollen and so uncomfortable I physically couldn't move around. Whenever I mentioned this to the other doctors or the nurses they just told me it was normal and that I needed to get up and walk. She immediately had a nurse bring a scale to my room after she looked at my legs. 389 pounds! I was carrying 44 EXTRA pounds of fluid. Blood work was ordered and it came back that night that my potassium was two points away from critical.  I was immediately given liquid potassium, potassium in my IV and a mild diuretic. 

Day nine. The same doctor came to see me first thing in the morning to tell me that the second blood test done in the middle of the night showed my potassium had risen slightly. She ordered another oral dose, and on her way out said that in less than 8 hours I had urinated 5 liters! She was so sweet and actually apologized and said that she had never seen anybody hold onto that much fluid that quickly and that she was sorry I was so uncomfortable for so long.

I was discharged late that afternoon on full liquids ,a whole bunch of medications while looking like I had gone 10 rounds with a boxer. Not an inch of my forearms, hands or wrists are not covered with bruises.

The 2 Hour drive home was unpleasant but I was so thankful just to be in my own bed and to see my boys. My weight Sunday was 380 pounds.

Today I'm at 345, my surgery weight. Needless to say the past four days have been spent in the restroom. 35 pounds of pee. That's just too crazy. I wouldn't believe it was even possible if it wasn't happening to me.

I have not gotten any real sleep or rest. My pain is good. My incision is tender and it itches like crazy. But healing nicely and the staples should come out Monday. My bowels are fine. No constipation. Minor diarrhea, no blood, no nausea. 

I'm struggling with my water, and protein isn't even on my radar. My surgeons nurse called yesterday and was concerned about dehydration, so she told me to just focus on water and if I didn't fit anything else it was okay. I'm pretty weak. This Frankenstein wound on my torso, limits everything I do. Just taking hour by hour.

I'm happy to hear that so many of you are doing so well. I had a case of "why me" for a few days. Not gonna lie.

Thank you for all that have sent healing wishes my way. I don't regret my decision, and am looking for small things to focus on and stay positive. Hugs everyone.

Wow. I am so very sorry for all of your complications. I hope that you well past the worst of it and can move on to feeling better, losing lots of weight and regaining your health. We are here to support you. You can do it.  Hugs back to you.  :)

It will get better. It is always darkest just before the dawn. 

Not that you can do much about it, but it sounds like you may have received lousy medical care. 

Wow, MK you sure went through the wringer :(

I know it might not seem like it right now, but in a year from now it will all have been worth it just to have your health back.

My sister had an RNY 5 years ago and was hospitalized multiple times from complications. Since then she went from 350# to 125# and so many health issues are gone. She told me she would go through it all again in a heartbeat because she is so much healthier now. There was a time she couldn't even dress herself when she was heavy. Now it is amazing what she can do.

Keep your eye on the prize. Storms are only temporary.

HUGS!

Edited by Murk
grammar

Mk, so sorry to hear about your experience.  I am praying that it is smooth sailing going forward.

Wow Mk you went through a lot. And im over here crying about all my pains. Wow so sorry that you went through that. Praying for you daily.  I pray for all us daily. Hang in there girl. It will get better.  Thats what i got to keep telling my self. 

Wow!!  MK! WOW... I can't believe all you went through.  :(  At least you are on the mend now and can have a clear head to speak with your doctor.  gezzz!

Having a decent day today. Struggling with liquids. I've got about 20 oz in so far and feel tight and bloated constantly. It's beautiful outside, I wish I felt strong enough to venture downstairs. Maybe tomorrow. 

Eileen, I hate that you're hurting so much. Have you spoken with your doctors office? Are they sure it's all gas pain?

Hugs

I hate to post this, because of all the pain that you guys are going through.

I must be super lucky.  I'm exceeding my fluid and protein goals. The past two days I've been able to get in ~96oz of water/fluid.  My protein goal is 95 grams.  I've hit 100 the past couple of days.  My gas pain is all but gone.  I still get the occasional ache in my shoulders, but that is really starting to become a rare event.  I've stopped taking any type of pain medication.  I've been getting out and walking as much as I can.  I hit 2 miles today (may still add to that total tonight if I take another walk).

I know I'm not suppose to step on the scale yet, but I had to.  I'm a nerd that likes data!!

Highest Weight:  310
Day of Surgery:   279
Night after Surgery:  286
1 Night Stay in hospital
First morning home: 278
4 days post-op:  275

I hope all of you start to feel better soon.  Just focus on how good things are going to be after you make it past this little rough patch.

19 minutes ago, kzoojason76 said:

I must be super lucky.  I'm exceeding my fluid and protein goals. The past two days I've been able to get in ~96oz of water/fluid.  My protein goal is 95 grams.  I've hit 100 the past couple of days.  My gas pain is all but gone.  I still get the occasional ache in my shoulders, but that is really starting to become a rare event.  I've stopped taking any type of pain medication.  I've been getting out and walking as much as I can.  I hit 2 miles today (may still add to that total tonight if I take another walk).

I know I'm not suppose to step on the scale yet, but I had to.  I'm a nerd that likes data!!

1 Night Stay in hospital

I hope all of you start to feel better soon.  Just focus on how good things are going to be after you make it past this little rough patch.

Mine is going well too, except for a few hiccups the first few days.

No pain meds anymore at all. Meeting all goals. I could probably go back to work Monday - but I don't wanna ;)

Just got done walking a mile doing Pokemon Go with my boys ages 15 and 20. It was fun! The mile was my limit though, side got sore.

I refuse to weigh myself until Monday. That will be my weigh day - I don't want to obsess over the scale.

I just want those who have surgeries coming up to know that it sure seems everyone is different and not to worry!

Edited by Murk

2 minutes ago, Murk said:

I could probably go back to work Monday - but I don't wanna ;)

I know exactly how you feel.  I could do the same.  I took three weeks off, so I'm just going to take the time to relax, heal, and work on my new self!

MK, now we know why you were laying low after your surgery. I know it's a small consolation that your procedure would have ended up open anyway; it's unconscionable that your surgeon didn't attempt it laparoscopically, and I can't believe they got you so overloaded with fluids. Know that this experience will become a distant memory.

My recovery was more like Jason's and Murk's, and as Murk pointed out, everyone's experience is different. You'll hear echoed over and over from those who experience complications that even if they knew they would be one of the ones with a tough recovery, they would do it all over again in a heartbeat. May you reach that point soon.

MK, I am soooo sorry to hear this. Can I tell you that as I read your story, I became angry for you! I find your surgeon's behavior unconscionable. Why the epidural in the first place? Thank God for the concerned doctor who checked on you.

I'm glad you're on the mend now!

-Kim

My recovery story falls somewhere in between a breeze (Jason's) and extremely tough. I've had minimal pain when I followed my doctor's orders and didn't "get fancy." But I'm not walking miles either, lol.

I'm thankful to have had the support of family and friends these past few days. It sounds like we can all be thankful for that. Praise God we've got great support.

Besides that, it's not where we start off but how we finish. Let's all finish strong.

Another thing for me is the tough moments I've experienced during recovery,  serve as a reminder of the drastic measures I've taken in order to change my life. May these difficulties serve as an emotional reminder and incentive to "never return to Egypt."

Hugs to all,

Kim

Edited by Kimchan

2 hours ago, kzoojason76 said:

1 Night Stay in hospital

Don't hesitate to share your positive journey. I'm happy to hear everyone's experiences. I celebrate with you and hurt with those that are struggling. Don't forget there are lurkers who don't post, that need to read the good and bad. Keep up the good work!

Eileen, how is your pain today? 

On July 15, 2016 at 0:36 AM, MKCPNW said:

Hi everyone. This is a very long post. 

I think I'm finally ready to tell my surgery story without being too overwhelmed. I have to warn you, it'll be graphic. There really isn't any way around that so if you're squeamish or aren't interested in TMI then go ahead and skip along.

The first issue was during preop, my doctor orders and mid back epidural to help with pain control after surgery. They had trouble placing it so it wasn't in the ideal position.  It was a long painful process and it really put me in a bad frame of mind. I wasn't able to talk to my surgeon, I remember seeing him outside the door, but he never came in. I was crying from the ordeal by the time they wheeled me back. 

Just to let you know, on a sidenote, during my initial appointment with the surgeon he talked about having to do my surgery open and not laparoscopic. He said it all depended on if he was able to feel my ribs properly for good body margins or something like that. Now both of his nurses in the visits prior felt around my tummy and they thought it wouldn't be a problem. His advice, was to stick to the pre-op diet, lose as much weight as possible to help my chances. I did, and lost another 20 pounds. Total of 80+. I went in worried but confident that he was going to attempt lap first and if it was not possible then switch to open.  This was the game plan in his office.

Surgery lasted about six hours and I woke up with 32 staples and a 12 inch incision from breastbone to bellybutton.  I was really disappointed. From my understanding, my Gall bladder removal was more complicated than the actual bypass. It was extremely large. Twice the size shown on a previous ultrasound and was full of stones that could actually be felt. I ended up needing two drains just because my gallbladder was so bad. 

Day one and day two were pretty standard. I was on the clear liquids like everyone, enjoying my ice chips, and sipping my little ounces of water. Walking around the hallway a little bit, normal gas pain in the shoulder, using the restroom etc. 

Day three I started getting nauseous. I had started drinking full liquids and everything was making me retch. They started increasing my IV fluid, took away everything by mouth and were giving me two different types of medication for nausea. Nothing helped. every time I moved Id start dry heaving.  Now dry heaving every hour or so with a giant incision is not fun. But the pain wasn't the worst part it was just constantly feeling like you're going to vomit. They finally got the nausea settled by adding a motion sickness patch. 

Day four was better. I was back to roaming the halls and re started the clear liquids. I was resting comfortably and was tolerating my crushed pills every six hours. Still had IV fluids around the clock.

This is also the day that I got to see my incision for the first time. Shocked is the first word. I wasn't prepared. When I asked the resident if my Surgeon had tried laparoscopic first he took a look and said no it doesn't appear that way otherwise you would have a small incision from the scope. I was instantly ticked off. And I still am. We know now that he would've had to have switched to open because of the condition of my gallbladder, but the fact that he didn't even try lap really makes me angry and untrusting of him.  My follow up to get my staples removed is on the 18th and believe me this will be my first question. 

Early-morning of day five and basically everything went to crap. Literally. Major diarrhea! If my husband wouldn't have been in the hospital with me right there helping me out out of bed then I can't imagine how much worse it could have been. I am so thankful that he was there to help me. If not, it would've been 10 times more humiliating. He took care of all of my needs. Mind you I was not able to twist, reach or bend at this point.  So back to more IV fluids, and no liquids by mouth whatsoever. I had to "collect "everything that left my body.  They needed to measure everything in everything out. Not surprisingly, it was my husband that noticed during day six that my watery diarrhea looked like blood. The nurses collecting the samples throughout the night never said anything.  The next two days were full of multiple CAT scans, and multiple x-rays and bloodwork every four hours. They checked for a leak which was negative they checked for a pulmonary embolism which was negative also. My blood count was dropping extremely low and they started talking about moving me to ICU.  All they knew was that I had a lower G.I. bleed but they couldn't find the cause. I had four separate teams of doctors from four separate specialties coming in constantly asking the same questions over and over. Changing this medicine and ordering a new medicine, I was so tired. Missing my kids. Overwhelmed. 

Day seven and my blood counts stabilized so they decided to just watch and wait. They were concerned that any invasive testing like a colonoscopy would aggravate the problem and make it worse. Because I was not able to leave my room for two days or so I was very weak and swollen from all of the fluids they have been giving me.  I couldn't even make a fist or bend my toes but this didn't seem to be a concern to anyone. 

Day eight and I was supposed to be released. Nausea was under control the diarrhea was almost completely resolved and all my labs were stable. Then my oxygen started dropping randomly. By mid day, it was pretty clear they were not going to let me go home and we're ordering an overnight oxygen saturation study. I have found out since then, that both lower lung lobes were collapsed(which is common after abdominal surgery), but that I did not need supplemental oxygen at home. 

It was this evening that a general practitioner who was covering for a different doctor heard about me and decided to stop by to see how I was doing. She was so wonderful. She actually listened to my complaint, which at this point was the fact that I was so swollen and so uncomfortable I physically couldn't move around. Whenever I mentioned this to the other doctors or the nurses they just told me it was normal and that I needed to get up and walk. She immediately had a nurse bring a scale to my room after she looked at my legs. 389 pounds! I was carrying 44 EXTRA pounds of fluid. Blood work was ordered and it came back that night that my potassium was two points away from critical.  I was immediately given liquid potassium, potassium in my IV and a mild diuretic. 

Day nine. The same doctor came to see me first thing in the morning to tell me that the second blood test done in the middle of the night showed my potassium had risen slightly. She ordered another oral dose, and on her way out said that in less than 8 hours I had urinated 5 liters! She was so sweet and actually apologized and said that she had never seen anybody hold onto that much fluid that quickly and that she was sorry I was so uncomfortable for so long.

I was discharged late that afternoon on full liquids ,a whole bunch of medications while looking like I had gone 10 rounds with a boxer. Not an inch of my forearms, hands or wrists are not covered with bruises.

The 2 Hour drive home was unpleasant but I was so thankful just to be in my own bed and to see my boys. My weight Sunday was 380 pounds.

Today I'm at 345, my surgery weight. Needless to say the past four days have been spent in the restroom. 35 pounds of pee. That's just too crazy. I wouldn't believe it was even possible if it wasn't happening to me.

I have not gotten any real sleep or rest. My pain is good. My incision is tender and it itches like crazy. But healing nicely and the staples should come out Monday. My bowels are fine. No constipation. Minor diarrhea, no blood, no nausea. 

I'm struggling with my water, and protein isn't even on my radar. My surgeons nurse called yesterday and was concerned about dehydration, so she told me to just focus on water and if I didn't fit anything else it was okay. I'm pretty weak. This Frankenstein wound on my torso, limits everything I do. Just taking hour by hour.

I'm happy to hear that so many of you are doing so well. I had a case of "why me" for a few days. Not gonna lie.

Thank you for all that have sent healing wishes my way. I don't regret my decision, and am looking for small things to focus on and stay positive. Hugs everyone.

Oh my gosh, I don't know how I lost track of this thread. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through and thanking God for the angel he sent to check on you.  Sounds like you had a very sick gallbladder which complicated the surgery but your right in being upset over the lack of communication and professionalism exhibited by your surgeon. When an epidural is successful it can be a very effective form of pain relief but it is not a pleasant procedure by no means and failure only serves to frustrate to say the least. We only do epidurals sometimes for total knee replacements at our hospital but it's just as well for you not having it given all the problems you had with nausea as it would have limited the types of nausea medication they can give. Anyhow, thank u for sharing your story, it is a testimony of your character to try to stay positive through such a scary situation and an inspiration for others. Glad you had your husband there, sounds like he was very helpful. Prayers for you a speedy recovery!

14 hours ago, MKCPNW said:

Eileen, how is your pain today? 

I checked in on her yesterday and she was doing a little better.

11 minutes ago, Kimchan said:

I checked in on her yesterday and she was doing a little better.

Thanks Kim. Virtual hugs.

Hi everyone as the days are going i am getting better. For the most part the gas pain has left. When i do feel it coming on i just start walking right away. No miles for me. The left side pain still there but im icing it all day which feels good. Was using heating pad. I use my binder all the time works wonders. I was afraid to post how i was feeling cause i didnt want to scare anyone. But like you all said we are all different.  There was a lady that had surgery before me on monday. And went home on monday like nothing with no pain. So that been said. My pain was awful no pain pill could control the pain i was having. Nothing seemed to worked. I cried and said i dont want to do this no more give me back my stomache.  I cried the next day saying what did i do to myself. I learned how to deal with my pain. And taking less and less of the pain pill. Im good now no more crying. WOULD I DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN???? Ummmm im not there yet. I know in a couple of days or even weeks. I might say that. Im like jason ive been weighing myself daily when i see it moving brings a smile to my face. So this is my stats.

HW 284

SW 266

When i came home from hospital 269

CW 257.8

Im getting in all my protein which is really good. Liquid intake half way there.With all the pain havent had much of an appetite.  So yesterday was the first time i had 2 oz of cream soup. I tried jello and popsicle the other day didnt go down good. But i tried popsicle again last night and it went down good. Ill try jello today. Im doing much better. Spirits are up. My husband has been a life savor. Hes my hero. I pray for us all daily. And im glad we have  this forum. So yeah im doing good now. :D

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM, MKCPNW said:

Hi ladies I am page catching. I got discharged this morning and have been home a couple hours now. Even with all the complications and the long stay in the hospital I still have no regrets. I'm so excited for all of you that are getting your surgery done tomorrow. 

I don't have much energy yet and I'm getting ready to take a nap, but I wanted to say that isn't it ironic how I went in for weight-loss surgery and the day I get discharged I'm up 35 pounds. That's a lot of swelling and boy do I feel it. 

HI guys,   wow MK so sorry you had a bad experience.   I feel so bad for you.   I have not been in a lot of pain.   I feel hungry..... It's hard to get over this head hunger and not cheat.   I am finding this so difficult.   I am not walking miles either.   I do  several small walks several times a day.   I keep talking to myself to say I can do this,  I can beat this voice in my head.   

Keep up the good work everyone.   It helps to read about our struggles and triumphs

Edited by susan25
Spelling

2 hours ago, susan25 said:

HI guys,   wow MK so sorry you had a bad experience.   I feel so bad for you.   I have not been in a lot of pain.   I feel hungry..... It's hard to get over this head hunger and not cheat.   I am finding this so difficult.   I am not walking miles either.   I do  several small walks several times a day.   I keep talking to myself to say I can do this,  I can beat this voice in my head.   

Keep up the good work everyone.   It helps to read about our struggles and triumphs

Hi Susan.

I hear head hunger is so difficult to battle. I feel for you on that front. Keep up the walking. Every little bit helps. I can only stand for about 10 minutes before the pulling pain on my incisions gets unbearable. I hope to be walking little bits at a time in a few days. Hugs

11 hours ago, Nutin2it said:

Oh my gosh, I don't know how I lost track of this thread. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through and thanking God for the angel he sent to check on you.  Sounds like you had a very sick gallbladder which complicated the surgery but your right in being upset over the lack of communication and professionalism exhibited by your surgeon. When an epidural is successful it can be a very effective form of pain relief but it is not a pleasant procedure by no means and failure only serves to frustrate to say the least. We only do epidurals sometimes for total knee replacements at our hospital but it's just as well for you not having it given all the problems you had with nausea as it would have limited the types of nausea medication they can give. Anyhow, thank u for sharing your story, it is a testimony of your character to try to stay positive through such a scary situation and an inspiration for others. Glad you had your husband there, sounds like he was very helpful. Prayers for you a speedy recovery!

Thanks Nut. Heehee.. (Inner 10 year old called you a Nut)

Surprisingly I haven't had any more poor me days. Still no regrets.  My epidural was partially successful, it just didn't numb my entire torso, but I think it helped tremendously the 7 days my pain team kept it in place. Noone mention the nausea medications incompatibility, just the blood thinners. Thanks for your kind words. Hugs

MK LoL@Nut:Pmy inner 10 yr old nut thinks that's hilarious! HahaGlad your home now and on the mend. 

Well, I weighed in this morning - I'm only going to do it on Mondays so I don't obsess. I was pleasantly surprised. If I would have had to guess beforehand, I would have thought maybe 4-5 lbs. So I did a little happy dance when the scaled showed 8.5 pound loss - and I'm in a new neighborhood that I haven't seen in a long time. I have had a hard time emotionally - my husband is eating my favorite pizza in front of me right now. So cruel, but I know I have to deal with these kinds of temptations eventually. So this weight loss has been a great start for me!