Little bird

July surgery roll call

I made these today. They are so good. Kind of like a cheezit. With out the carbs. If your missing that crunch in your life and wanna lil snack. This is it. Enjoy!!!

Screenshot_2016-08-05-18-01-54.png

Screenshot_2016-08-05-18-01-41.png

20160809_155039.jpg

8 hours ago, EileenFrias said:

I made these today. They are so good. Kind of like a cheezit. Without the carbs. If your missing that crunch in your life and wanna lil snack. This is it. Enjoy!!!

Seriously, I'm drooling like a dog!  Cheese (of any kind) is my favourite food in the world.  My choice is Parmesan Crisps.

How is everyone doing? As for me im doing good. Im at a week and half stall. But im doing ok with that. I know it will pass. Im walking 2 miles a day now. 1 mile in the morning and another in the evening. Heard when we stall we should up our protien, exercise,  and carbs.. So thats what im doing. Lets see what my weight says on monday. I am losing lots of inches. I measure every month. And do side by side pics. So i can definitely see a change. Well thats it for now. Hope everyone is doing good on the Journey we are on. 

Edited by EileenFrias

I'm doing pretty good. I'm on day 2 of the purée phase ( I have 2 weeks on purée),  I'm walking 1 mile a day, although my incision sites on the left have not healed / closed yet. Off pain Meds , still some soreness on left at times. Overall feel good. Total wright loss so far ( from beginning) is 25 pounds! I'm happy with that! I lost 8 pounds before starting my pre- op diet, than 10 pounds on pre- op diet and 7 pounds since surgery ... Slow but good! Loosing inches too!  Clothes are getting bigger ! 

I am 17 days post op and down 35lbs since surgery. I feel great and Im currently in the pureed stage. Last night I ate 2oz of lemon pepper talapia and it was heaven!! My clothes are getting looser and people are noticing. So no complaints so far :)

On 8/8/2016 at 8:12 AM, Kimchan said:

Kim dr said it was the scar tissue forming and normal.

12 hours ago, EileenFrias said:

How is everyone doing? As for me im doing good. Im at a week and half stall. But im doing ok with that. I know it will pass. Im walking 2 miles a day now. 1 mile in the morning and another in the evening. Heard when we stall we should up our protien, exercise,  and carbs.. So thats what im doing. Lets see what my weight says on monday. I am losing lots of inches. I measure every month. And do side by side pics. So i can definitely see a change. Well thats it for now. Hope everyone is doing good on the Journey we are on. 

I don't understand why the old conversation is coming up, oh well.  Eileen the cheese it's look great. Definitely will make them.  I got my mandolin slicer the other day and I made zucchini noodle lasagna.  It was delish.  I have also hit a stall.  I don't walk much I normally exercise in the pool, but the weather has been nasty so I have been kind of slacking.  Although I was able to get in the pool tonight.  I tried to wAlk in stores but my wallet didn't like that.  

I finally found a nutritionist and I meet with her tomorrow.  I need guidelines on calories, carbs etc.

So happy everyone is doing well.

6 hours ago, susan25 said:

Kim dr said it was the scar tissue forming and normal.

I don't understand why the old conversation is coming up, oh well.  Eileen the cheese it's look great. Definitely will make them.  I got my mandolin slicer the other day and I made zucchini noodle lasagna.  It was delish.  I have also hit a stall.  I don't walk much I normally exercise in the pool, but the weather has been nasty so I have been kind of slacking.  Although I was able to get in the pool tonight.  I tried to wAlk in stores but my wallet didn't like that.  

I finally found a nutritionist and I meet with her tomorrow.  I need guidelines on calories, carbs etc.

So happy everyone is doing well.

Susan, how long have you been swimming? At what pint after surgery did you start getting in pool?  

On 7/8/2016 at 0:28 AM, EileenFrias said:

Susan, how long have you been swimming? At what pint after surgery did you start getting in pool?  

Good question!!!   I was told I couldn't really do any exercise that would engage my core for 6 weeks.  I would love to get back into the pool/lake soon.

Had my one month doc's appointment yesterday. He cleared me for regular exercise and the pool. Also on solids. Nutritionist wants me to avoid protein shakes altogether. I wish I'd known because I spent a ton on protein shakes. I'll have one a day till they're gone I guess.

6 hours ago, Little bird said:

I don't swim, I walk in the pool and use the noodle between my legs and pedal like I am on a bike, I do leg raises and hold on the side and kick.  I sit on the bench in the pull and try to do a simple v-seat that's really hard.  It's either too hot here or raining. so the pool works best for me.  I figure any movement is better than none which is what got me into this position.

I was cleared for the pool after I got my staples out about 16 days after surgery.

26 minutes ago, Kimchan said:

Had my one month doc's appointment yesterday. He cleared me for regular exercise and the pool. Also on solids. Nutritionist wants me to avoid protein shakes altogether. I wish I'd known because I spent a ton on protein shakes. I'll have one a day till they're gone I guess.

Did your Nutritionist say why no protein shakes?  I met with one today and she said protein shakes were great.  It's like everything else they all have there own way of doing things and we need to just follow what they say.  

2 minutes ago, susan25 said:

Did your Nutritionist say why no protein shakes?  I met with one today and she said protein shakes were great.  It's like everything else they all have there own way of doing things and we need to just follow what they say.  

She says she wants me to get my nutrients from real food. She said an occasional shake if I'm on the go is ok.

1 minute ago, Kimchan said:

She says she wants me to get my nutrients from real food. She said an occasional shake if I'm on the go is ok.

I don't get enough protein from real food.  I am still having trouble with water also.

https://www.loyolamedicine.org/news/loyolas-exercise-program-patients-who-have-had-bariatric-surgery-01282014  I really like this bariatric exersice program I think It's easy and also keeps you moving and can be modified for any skill level.

3 minutes ago, susan25 said:

I don't get enough protein from real food.  I am still having trouble with water also.

Well, I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm going to try to comply as much as possible because I'm hoping fewer protein shakes equals fewer issues with irregularity. I've begun setting times for when to drink water, when to take my vitamins and so forth. I'm using an app called Baritastic to help. It's not a fabulous app, but it sends reminders. So that's helpful...

Kim i use that app also. I love it. Wow no more protien shakes aweosme. Im only drinking 1 a day. And the rest i make up with food. Glad everyone doing good. Susan good job on pool exercise.  I was cleared for pool also. Having a pool party for my granddaughter on sat. So definitely going in on sat. I  can't do hard core exercise eithet till 6 weeks. So i will walk in pool. 

Congrats Amber and Lil Bird on weight loss. Woo hoo. 

19 hours ago, AmberBehindTheChair said:

I am 17 days post op and down 35lbs since surgery. I feel great and Im currently in the pureed stage. Last night I ate 2oz of lemon pepper talapia and it was heaven!! My clothes are getting looser and people are noticing. So no complaints so far :)

Yay!!! Congratulations on the weight loss and celebrating your uneventful recovery!:D

I'm having a fair amount of "head hunger"—i.e. struggling with the fact that I wish I could eat food like a regular person, especially because I haven't gotten to solids yet. My weight has been stalled for the past four days (312.6 three times in a row interrupted by one bump upward to 314), basically since I've introduced denser foods like cottage cheese and tuna salad per my surgeon's plan, though . So I'm a little twitchy, but I'm hanging in. Pushing water as best I can, hitting or exceeding protein goals (I want to err on the high side with protein because I'm a lifter who hopes to get back in the gym as soon as I'm cleared and I'm very concerned with the loss of muscle mass.)

I have a grocery delivery coming tomorrow that will open up my options a little, so that should help, and I get to start adding soft foods in a week. I knew this was going to be a hard phase for me, so I'm just trying to keep my head down and keep plugging away at it. Staircase not steady line down, and it'll get easier once I can eat things I can chew. Counting the days.

I'm on day 3 of purée and looking forward to " real foods" that are not pudding consistency. 

9 hours ago, Little bird said:

I'm on day 3 of purée and looking forward to " real foods" that are not pudding consistency. 

Sing it, sister. I'm refraining from thinking too much about what I eat in terms of pleasure or variety right now—just dutifully consuming periodic servings of a few protein-rich foods I can stomach in their naturally adequate textures at intervals, though I'm going to make that ricotta bake for the last stretch here, and I have a few little pots of unsweetened applesauce that work as a tiny reprieve in their frozen state. I realize, though, that when I get to soft foods, I will have to start thinking a little more about habit—what works for me to eat when I *am* thinking of it as food, almost like a regular person might consume food. A little brainstorming this week probably wouldn't hurt—I'm thinking small pieces of poached chicken, some slightly-overcooked beans (chili, maybe?) and chickpeas, maybe some mashed-up turkey meatballs in tomato sauce.

On August 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM, EileenFrias said:

During a stall, increasing exercise is not always helpful. Because you are eating so few calories, your body goes into starvation mode and works to hang onto every ounce.

try lowering your exercise a bit until the stall breaks.

I bought a couple of big boxes of sugar-free Popsicles to use as something sweet and another way to get water in. They are #(*&%$ vile and I'm pretty sure I can't eat them. :lol: I kind of can't deal with artificial sweeteners that aren't Diet Coke. Now I have tons of them in my freezer and I don't know what to do about them.

Well, it's official: I can't possibly eat 60g worth of protein a day yet. I tried. Will resume one shake a day.

Nimiety, you're cracking me up with your Popsicle post. Spunkycat, you've made my day that exercise isn't the answer to a stall. I hate sweating but I do have to get my butt gear in motion more.

Yeah, I don't think I could do it in food either, Kim, and since I'm trying to hit the high end of the range: shakes all the way.

Also, glad to make you laugh—this process can be so stressful that it helps me to find the humor.

Edited by nimiety

Any ladies having hot flashes post / op?? This is a new thing for me .. If so, what do you do for them ?