JenJen45

How Many Calories Per Day to Lose - Not Maintain? - 2 Years out

Hello!  I am trying to figure out from folks, how many calories do you need to take in to continue weight loss, not to maintain.  I keep getting answers on how many to maintain, but I really would love to know how many to continue losing.  I am very active and go to the gym at least 5 times per week.  I have gained and am looking to lose again!  Input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Cinwa gave a nice response to your question on the thread below. You ask a difficult question to answer. The human body is such a resilient organism. It will adapt and adjust to whatever we throw at it to seek it's own balance (which never seems to be the same balance as what we want ;) ). It will fight minor adjustments every step of the way.

In any case, you may be asking the wrong question. Not all calories are created equal. Assuming you've slipped into an eating style that is more similar to the average American diet, increase your protein, decrease your carbs, and don't overdo your fats. If you need a carb detox and reset to get back in touch with your post-op restriction, try the 5-day pouch test (http://5daypouchtest.com/).

Hi Wendy,

I agree with your statements, however there has to be more folks on here who have had success with a certain amount of calories in order to lose weight. I do know that not all calories are created equal.  I have slipped into some bad eating habits again and do know the correct way to eat however, I need to know roughly how many calories I should be taking in as a 45 y/o woman who is 5' 6" looking to continue weight loss, not maintain.
On another note, I see you had the sleeve and have done tremendously well!  My stepdaughter is going back and forth on which surgery to have (sleeve vs. bypass).  She is concerned that the sleeve will not give her the percentage of weight loss she is looking for.  It looks like it was great for you though!  Any thoughts/comments/advice for her?  Her starting weight would be probably about 30 lbs more than yours was. 

3 hours ago, JenJen45 said:

My stepdaughter is going back and forth on which surgery to have (sleeve vs. bypass).  She is concerned that the sleeve will not give her the percentage of weight loss she is looking for.  It looks like it was great for you though!  Any thoughts/comments/advice for her?  Her starting weight would be probably about 30 lbs more than yours was. 

Considering your question about number of calories needed to lose, we're all metabolically more efficient than those who have never been morbidly obese, but none of us would be able to estimate the caloric needs of someone else. Have you thought about getting tested to determine your personal resting metabolic rate? That would be the true starting point to figuring out your caloric needs.

As for your stepdaughter, the surgery truly delivers what you put into it. I am very happy with my choice of VSG. I lost 100% of my excess weight on three prior occasions and even kept it off for a year the third time. For me the surgery had little to do with losing weight and everything to do with increasing my odds of keeping it off.

She can lose the weight with either tool (pouch or sleeve). It might take a little longer with the sleeve, but this is a lifetime commitment, so in the end, what matters most is her having the tool that she is most committed to using effectively for the long haul.

I wish you luck in finding your sweet spot for renewed weight loss and her luck as she begins this wild and wonderful journey to claim her health and fitness.

I like to compare Cinwa and Gaviv -  both lost all their weight and are maintaining for years, both weight almost the same,  both had bypass.   Cinwa maintains at 1800 calories a day,  Gaviv maintains at 600-800 calories a day.    I know you were not asking about maintaining but I just want to give an example of how different bodies can be and why you cannot get a simple answer to this.   A lot of people would lose weight at 800 calories -  Gaviv maintains at.  A lot would gain at 1800 calories a day (I would) but Cinwa maintains at that.   Its just amazing really!

I think the easiest things would be take what the calories you average now -  reduce it by 100 and see how it goes.  I try and lose and for me, with zero exercise and a very very sedentary job - I have to eat less then 1000 calories to lose.  If I get some movement/exercise (light exercise - walking and mild strength training) I can still lose all the way up to eating 1400 calories IF I'm consistent with that exercise regime.   If I eat that much and slack off on even that mild exercise I do, I gain quick, fast and scarily.

Edited by Jolls

Like others mentioned, there's just too many variables between individuals to give you a straight answer.  And I know you asked about losing calories, but here's another maintenance comparison that just shows you can't compare.....I had VSG 2 1/2 years ago and I maintain my 100% excess weight loss with 1400-1600 calories/day.  I have a friend who had bypass 10 years ago and she has to stay below 1000 calories/day.  And that's WITH her malabsorption.  Of course her calories are almost exclusively carbs while mine are mostly protein and fat.

On 5/31/2016 at 11:37 AM, JenJen45 said:

Hello!  I am trying to figure out from folks, how many calories do you need to take in to continue weight loss, not to maintain.  I keep getting answers on how many to maintain, but I really would love to know how many to continue losing.  I am very active and go to the gym at least 5 times per week.  I have gained and am looking to lose again!  Input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Hi Jen, I understand what you are asking. I was thinking the same thing several months ago. I had gained - eating junk - then was watching what I ate to start losing again. I lost 24 pounds in two months now I've been losing and gaining the same 2 lbs. for 3 months. This is where I came to the point to try to figure how many cals I need to lose again. I've tried as low as 800 cals up to 1300 cals. Am I eating too little or too much? Sorry that I'm no help. I just wanted you to know that someone understands where you're coming from. BTW I had my surgery 5-14-14 and am 210 now. This is the 1st time I've been back to TTF in a long time. Getting away from it was a big mistake. The support here can help. Take care.

Hi LoriW!  I haven't been on here in months (clearly!).  I just saw your response to mine and was so glad to see it, albeit 7 months later!  How are you doing at this point?  I have been on a steady gain, however I am determined like heck to get the weight back off. 

I am totally in agreement with you.  I seem to either eat too much or not enough and I can't seem to find the perfect solution!  I know there really isn't one, however I am so frustrated because I have gained 30 lbs in the past 18 months.   I see that you and I had our surgeries within a week of each other!   Mine was 5/20/14.  I can't believe it's been almost 3 years.  I agree that getting away from the plan is a big mistake.  They warn you that this can happen, but you just say....no that won't happen to me!  LOL.  It does!   

Hope to catch up and see how you are doing and was so glad someone knew exactly what I was trying to convey!!