Little bird

No straws after surgery

My program told us that we would not be able to drink from a straw after surgery. They said it caused too much air in the stomach ( new tiny tummy ). Is this what everyone else has been told? 

Yes, everyone (most) is told this.

USE A STRAW!! You will be fine and it should help you drink enough fluids. 

Ok, so you used a straw from the beginning and never had a problem?  I was told to drink from a " sippy cup" in order to learn to drink very slow and sips 

Its a myth.  Use a straw.  Or a bite valve is even better yet.

44 minutes ago, Little bird said:

Ok, so you used a straw from the beginning and never had a problem?  I was told to drink from a " sippy cup" in order to learn to drink very slow and sips 

From day 1. No issue.

I listened to the veterans here and used a straw from the beginning!!

This is a big relief for me.. Might sound silly.. Although I find it much easier to get my water in now if I drink from a straw.  Currently I'm drinking 6-8 cups water daily 

Don't drink from a straw is one of the many bariatric surgery myths that are still espoused by many bariatric surgeons today. Here is a link to an interesting youtube video by a prominent bariatric surgeon on the subject.

I am only 6 months post-surgery and so am still somewhat brainwashed, so it is difficult to accept everything he says, but through personal experience, I do agree with several of his myth claims, such as the sipping on a straw and no carbonated drinks. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5nm1GXqrm4

My nutritionist said to do whatever works. I started using a straw when I returned to work. I used a plastic cup with straw from the company cafeteria as a daily water bottle substitute. The ice dispenser dispensed chewblet ice (same type as Sonic), and each floor had the same type of dispenser on it. Toss a small lemon wedge in the bottom of the cup at the first fill and let it infuse throughout the day. Worked great for me.

My surgeon, nutritionist and nurse practitioner all warned against drinking with a straw. But I first became suspicious about the warnings immediately after surgery. I woke up after surgery in the recovery room, and my mouth was very dry. So I asked for something to drink, and they brought me a cup of water with a straw. I protested that I wasn't supposed to drink with a straw, but the nurse assured me that it was OK to use the straw. So I did, and had no ill effects. Up in my room, they served me ice water with a straw. Again I protested, but the nurse told me to go ahead and use the straw. So I did with no ill effects. Once I went home, I continued following the no straw edict, but I found it very difficult to drink liquids when I am not thirsty. I learned of the Camelback bottle on these forums, and ordered one, and loved it. Once I started using the Camelback to drink most of my liquids, I had no trouble meeting my daily liquid requirement, and my pouch hasn't exploded or leaked from sipping my liquids through the straw in the Camelback!! I also usually drink 16 oz. of  sparkling Zephyrhill's fruit flavored water daily with no ill effect.

1 hour ago, Jerry M said:

I learned of the Camelback bottle on these forums, and ordered one, and loved it. Once I started using the Camelback to drink most of my liquids, I had no trouble meeting my daily liquid requirement, and my pouch hasn't exploded or leaked from sipping my liquids through the straw in the Camelback!! I also usually drink 16 oz. of  sparkling Zephyrhill's fruit flavored water daily with no ill effect.

I purchased a Camalback bottle a few months back (pre surgery) and just hated it!...I couldn't drink as fast as I wanted to and the whole biting thing frustrated me. Now post-op and brought it to work today (first day back since surgery) and I just LOVE it! The straw with no air is perfect and it slows me down enough I can't chug the drink! Today has got to be my most liquids in a day I've gotten since surgery too.

9 hours ago, Jerry M said:

Don't drink from a straw is one of the many bariatric surgery myths that are still espoused by many bariatric surgeons today. Here is a link to an interesting youtube video by a prominent bariatric surgeon on the subject.

I am only 6 months post-surgery and so am still somewhat brainwashed, so it is difficult to accept everything he says, but through personal experience, I do agree with several of his myth claims, such as the sipping on a straw and no carbonated drinks. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5nm1GXqrm4

Thank you for this link! I watched .. And what a great video , I think I'm buying his book! 

My surgeon's office said they no longer tell patients not to use a straw, and they also said I could drink right up until I ate and drink after eating as well. Of course, drinking too much too soon after eating can over fill your stomach.

i was told not to use a straw.. i think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially in the beginning. with a straw it's hard to see how much water you are really sipping and you want to be taking small sips. i am speaking blindly though because i havent had my surge i bought tiny medicine cups that are maybe 2oz-3oz and i plan to drink 1 of those ever 30 min or so 

Edited by Hayleyzzz

Maybe just try a straw lil bird. And if it bothers you don't use. Think ill try the straw if I can't seem to get my liquids down.

My doctor gave me straws.

My personal opinion is straw use is dependent on what your drinking style is when using one.

When I drink from a straw I sip small amounts at a time, when my husband does, he slams/gulps large amounts and he sucks a lot of air when he does, which is evidenced by him belching after drinking. I think that drinking style is what the doctors are trying to prevent.

I plan on experimenting slowly after my surgery.

I was told not to use a straw.  I am now 3 months post-op and I have had no trouble with anything.  It was a breeze.  So I decided to give the straw a try, as there seem to be mixed opinions.  I find it much more pleasurable when drinking for me to use the straw and I have had no unpleasant effects.

Early out, I found using a straw (or better, a bottle with a bite valve) generated way less air in my intestines that all that sip-sip-sip thing that most medics recommend.

I also have no problems using a straw.