LVGhostgirl

No exercise required!!

HI ALL..

I am 1 year and one month out.  I have not exercised one day and am 91.1 lbs down.  Funny, I have no intention to exercise.   It is just my thing.  I am 23 lbs from goal.  I have massive energy and live life to its fullest, and am so happy. But exercise??? NO!!!   I am active as a Mom and Wife.  And I can Move at work.   Just thought Id share that you can do this without exercise!!n NO EXERCISE REQUIRED.... No Muscle lost here!! 

Ditto here.  I'm almost 2 1/2 years out and have been maintaining 10-12 pounds below goal for over 1 1/2 years.  I never started an excercise routine postop and have no intention of doing so.  Kind of hard to squeeze gym time into a 70 hour work week.  I've wasted hundreds of $$$$'s on gym memberships in the past and I have a recumbent bike and Nordic track collecting dust in my spare room from before surgery.

Yes, I have a physical job and active lifestyle.  Log close to 12,000 Fitbit steps in a typical day.  But this activity level is no different than what I was doing for the 10 years before having surgery, so it definitely didn't contribute to my weight loss. (Or keep me from getting fat in the first place) And as for muscle strength, I lift 40-60 pounds at work everyday and stack 80 pound bales of hay on the weekends.

thanks for sharing...nice to know I'm not alone with my "non excercise plan".

I ditto that!  I have very bad ankles and have been told no high impact activities.  I am on my feet 7 1/2 to 8 hours at work with no break.  I walk all day.  But exercise, no!  I very much believe it's what you put into your mouth..

if exercise works for you, that's great!

YOUR AWESOME!!! I totally thought I would be the only one!!  But I HATE exercie!  Looking forward to reaching my goal MY way!!

I also do not go to the gym.  My exercise consists of an active lifestyle and long walks about 5 times a week.

Never exercised during my weight loss, just not my thing either. I have zero desire. I'm busy enough with work and home. I don't get to sit down often, trust me. It's really about what you eat anyway.

more power to those that have the motivation and discipline to exercise. I do laps around the mall ;) 

14 minutes ago, GAviv said:

Never exercised during my weight loss, just not my thing either. I have zero desire. I'm busy enough with work and home. I don't get to sit down often, trust me. It's really about what you eat anyway.

more power to those that have the motivation and discipline to exercise. I do laps around the mall ;) 

And you spend time chasing your three very cut kids! :)

Although I had two false starts at beginning an exercise program while losing, I got all the way down to a healthy BMI without any consistent exercise. Wholeheartedly agree that what you eat is much more important than exercise.

I began running recently, and once I get my distance up some, I'll start doing some strength training. But even once I'm in full swing, my workouts will be in the half hour range.

I don't exercise either and have been maintaining a 150 pound loss for 2+ years. I DO walk, and I've always enjoyed  doing that, and it's now possible after a total knee replacement a year ago. As others have said, weight loss has little to do with exercise and everything to do with what you put in you mouth. I'm blessed because I have no appetite.

Edited by tmcgee

All this time I figured it was my exercise for the last three years that caused me to lose and maintain lol.  Just kidding I know what you eat is 80 to 90 percent but going to the gym fits into my lifestyle with my kids grown and I do feel better, at my age it helps to have a strong core and work on  my balance and tone in my arms.

I did exercise from day 1 of my surgery. For me that was my thing and not knocking anyone who hates exercise. I fully know you don't have to exercise to lose weight, as it's what you put into your body that matters. However i do know that if one can find time to add in a little bit it is proven that it can add some years to your life. Plus give you more energy and it's a great mood lifter LOL. I don't exercise anymore because i have two jobs and just too busy with that and home duties. Once in a while i do take a slow walk around Tampa bay, but i don't go to extremes anymore. Congrats on your weight loss LVGhostGirl! :D

Julie R.  Thanks for your perspective.  You're right...excercise is very beneficial in other aspects beside just weight loss.  I truly wish I enjoyed it more.  It would have been a great addiction transfer.   I've been involved in sports most of my life....softball, basketball, and I actually ran cross country in high school!  I made my living as a ski instructor and raft guide back in my 20's.  I've hiked, canoed, kayaked and backpacked thousands of miles.

But I never ever got that "excercise high" from any of it.  And the thing I despised the most was the going to the gym and working out part.  I did it because I Thought I needed to in order to drop some lbs.  But they just kept piling on, despite my activity level.  So imagine my delight and exhilaration to discover I DIDNT have to do something I hated in order to lose weight.  That may be one of the best things I learned after VSG.  I no longer feel guilty about my dusty workout equipment  ^_^

BTW, I used to live in St. Pete and I've rollerbladed with my dog many a mile around Tampa Bay!  I was actually just there for a visit in February...camped and kayaked at Ft. Desoto and ate seafood every day.

I love to exercise because it has strengthened my legs, my heart and lifting weights has given me strength!  But it hasn't helped me lose any weight, I know that because no matter how hard I workout, even 2 visits to the gym a day, hasn't caused me to lose any faster.  I've read you lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.  I noticed a big difference in myself this weekend.  We moved my son out of his dorm to home and I had to carry his totes full of clothes etc.  They were heavy and I was carrying them by myself up stairs into the house and wasn't exhausted.  I had a lot more energy than last move in we did.

You have to do what works for you :D

11 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

Julie R.  Thanks for your perspective.  You're right...excercise is very beneficial in other aspects beside just weight loss.  I truly wish I enjoyed it more.  It would have been a great addiction transfer.   I've been involved in sports most of my life....softball, basketball, and I actually ran cross country in high school!  I made my living as a ski instructor and raft guide back in my 20's.  I've hiked, canoed, kayaked and backpacked thousands of miles.

But I never ever got that "excercise high" from any of it.  And the thing I despised the most was the going to the gym and working out part.  I did it because I Thought I needed to in order to drop some lbs.  But they just kept piling on, despite my activity level.  So imagine my delight and exhilaration to discover I DIDNT have to do something I hated in order to lose weight.  That may be one of the best things I learned after VSG.  I no longer feel guilty about my dusty workout equipment  ^_^

BTW, I used to live in St. Pete and I've rollerbladed with my dog many a mile around Tampa Bay!  I was actually just there for a visit in February...camped and kayaked at Ft. Desoto and ate seafood every day.

I live near Macdill AFB! Bayshore is a beautiful place and wonderful area to go walk or biking etc. :D

My weight loss does seem accelerated when I work out. I'll keep losing even if I don't work out.. just more slowly it seems. My workouts aren't intense by any means though.. just 30 minutes of brisk walking, using the recumbent bike, or an exercise video. I'm shooting for 5 days a week right now but anywhere 3-5 times a week is fine with me.

I love to exercise. I worked out heavy and I work out now. Even the most diligent gym-goer will lose muscle mass when they lose 100 pounds from their body. I wanted to retain as much muscle as I could, build more, and increase my cardiovascular health as much as possible. You can lose weight without exercising, sure, but exercise is an important part of having and maintaining a healthy body. 

I am a busy person. I have a demanding job, two children in elementary school, a husband that works full time, serve on the board of two nonprofits, and have friends and family I like to spend time with....plus sleep a solid 8 hours a night. I also run  20-30 miles a week, cycle, lift, and swim...formal exercise 6 days a week. But informal exercise is important and can be a huge part of being healthy too...walking instead of taking the bus. Taking the bus and walking a few blocks instead of driving. Taking the stairs :) 

I've come to the following conclusion about exercise: I didn't get to be 278 pounds because of all the time I wasn't putting in at the gym. Eating is what made me fat. Exercising too little made me less fit. I do not enjoy exercise....but I love the results. For me, it's kind of like going to the dentist. I don't like going to the dentist but I love having teeth. There are tons of reasons to exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss. To each his/her own.

I'd also like to point out that just because you don't put in the hours at the gym doesn't mean that you're not exercising. A physically taxing job, being on your feet all day, going for walks...that's all exercise. In fact, a 17 year study done in the UK found that more than any other cardiovascular exercise, walking produced the greatest long term weight loss outcomes.

For me going to the gym helps my mental and physical health.  I  am 46 with teenagers.  I will never be a total "gym rat."   However, my body for complete health needs a good workout. Plus, I like what is also doing to my belly. I do know that you can be skinny with no muscle tone!  I don't want to see that in the mirror eveyday.  I will workout for my health.  It makes my body smile. That is just crazy little me.

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM, LVGhostgirl said:

HI ALL..

I am 1 year and one month out.  I have not exercised one day and am 91.1 lbs down.  Funny, I have no intention to exercise.   It is just my thing.  I am 23 lbs from goal.  I have massive energy and live life to its fullest, and am so happy. But exercise??? NO!!!   I am active as a Mom and Wife.  And I can Move at work.   Just thought Id share that you can do this without exercise!!n NO EXERCISE REQUIRED.... No Muscle lost here!! 

Was your weight loss slower? What do you think you did differently that kept you losing the weight?  I'm asking because I have not exercised much do to a sprained knee a few months ago and do to the pain in all of my joints. I dot feel like I am losing as fast as I should be....I am a little over 5 MO the out and have lost 60 pounds. I have had numerous stalls too...it's kind of depressing.

Edited by averett105

Thank God for this post! I hate exercise. I'm following the eating plan and haven't "cheated" with bad choices. I'm so glad to hear it won't affect my weight loss. That said, I WOULD like to TRY to exercise regularly for the toning benefit. Bless you all :wub:for taking the stress of feeling like I'm a slacker.