duffman27

Success went to my head

2 weeks of vacation 

not following program 

too many carbs and cocktails 

too much junk

i finally weighed tonight , I have gained muscle, clothes feel good...but scale tells a  different story and I don't like it. 

Weight lifting is done

cardio from here on out

Duff the cheer leader will beat this my friends! 

No I am not telling my scAle number ...I am embarrassed 

Personally, I think you should still find a happy medium of cardio and weights .... not cut out weights entirally.  Just my opinion.

I am up 9 pounds in a 4 week period. I think one of my biggest issues was the amount of alcohol I consumed while on vacation.I will get back on track. Let me know if you notice anything I could do different on my MFP log

Relax. You can do this. Go back to basics on your diet. Cut out all the junk food and alcohol. Drink lots of liquids. Stay active. The weight will come off. Nothing can beat the duffman once he puts his heart into it. 

I lost weight overnight which is a huge plus psychologically....

I can do this. I updated my profile to reflect my weight as of this morning. I am now 6 pounds away from the High end of my comfort zone - I like to maintain between 184-188.

I am focused and will get there.

I am just shocked that I allowed this to happen. I thought I was invincible, untouchable, what a wake up call to show that I am not able to eat, drink and act the way I want to without consequences.

eye opening, discouraging, but I will get there.

mike, i'm in the same boat as you are. all of us think we're invincible to a certain extent. then life happens... smacks us in the face and puts us back to where we should be.

i've been at a plateau for god knows how long. i haven't really worked out since the marathon, partially because my right ankle has been giving me issues and i've been trying to stay off of it. also haven't been eating the best. but still under 180, though! would like to get to century club before the end of the summer. we'll see.

you've got this. if you need motivation, or just someone to vent to, let me know. i can PM you my number. we both have to get right before richmond in november! :D

2 hours ago, TheColdestAugust said:

mike, i'm in the same boat as you are. all of us think we're invincible to a certain extent. then life happens... smacks us in the face and puts us back to where we should be.

i've been at a plateau for god knows how long. i haven't really worked out since the marathon, partially because my right ankle has been giving me issues and i've been trying to stay off of it. also haven't been eating the best. but still under 180, though! would like to get to century club before the end of the summer. we'll see.

you've got this. if you need motivation, or just someone to vent to, let me know. i can PM you my number. we both have to get right before richmond in november! :D

Thanks Meredith. We will get there, just a bump in the road. My eyes are wide open......

Duffman....I freaked out the first time I gained weight on vaca, too.  It was over Christmas, just after I'd reached goal weight.  I went home to visit family and I indulged in all the incredibly yummy carb heavy holiday treats my mom baked.  Not to mention the egg nog and rumchata and baily's coffee and whisky.  Came back with a belly ache and 5 pounds heavier....over just a week!  But  then I buckled down, went back to basic protein and veggies, cleaned all the carbs out of my system, drank gallons and gallons of water and lost the 5 pounds in about 2 weeks.

Knowing I'm going to act all foolish when it comes to food and beverage choices while on vacation, I now do a preemptive strike BEFORE leaving.  I buckle down super low carb, lots of leafy greens, even do a few days of protein shakes only and get down to the bottom of my bounce range.  That way, even if I do gain 4-5 pounds, I'm still within my range when I get back.  It's worked out really well.

good luck with everything, and remember, weight loss is typically more dependent on what you eat, not so much how much or what kind of excercise.  You got this! 

Mikey~totally know what you're saying. I'm feeling sooo good right now-as though I CAN'T gain weight. Thanks for the warning. I've been consuming quite a bit of alcohol calories, so even though my food is on plan, My calories are too high. Thanks for being honest...I needed that!

Hang in there, buddy. You already know the rules and what you need to do. We all have our unique form of struggling. For me, it's not eating enough. Some would say it's a good problem to have, and in some ways I agree, but when I feel like crap because I haven't eaten and don't want to eat anything, it's not easy at all. I have to force myself on almost a daily basis. Some days are easier. but most are quite tough. That said, the benefits do outweigh the downsides.

Honestly if you had a lot of alcohol you are also retaining water I don't think you could really gain 9 lbs in two weeks if you tried.  My weight fluctuates a lot, as much as 5 pounds in a day.  I agree that the strength training should be kept, having muscle helps you burn calories all day long.  I bet if you are careful for a few weeks those pounds will be gone.  Just nip it in the bud now just like you are, you got this.

I was literally out of control. I think my body was in sugar shock. I felt like I had previously when I was a diabetic as I flooded my body with junk  and sugar. I had more than just a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts. I look back and realize that  I will Never go back there. I let my guard down, but in a real bad way. very irresponsible of me.

Actually I think you've acted very responsibly.  Vacations are hard on our bariatric lifestyle and as humans, we can screw up every once in awhile (at least that's what my therapist keeps trying to tell me <_< ).  But you acknowledged and took ownership of your weight gain immediately.  You identified the problem and are fixing it.  That's a success story.  Sitting back, Doing the same thing for months and then wondering how you gained 20-30 pounds would have been irresponsible.....and much harder to recover from, both mentally and physically.

Edited by ThinCVT

Just now, ThinCVT said:

Actually I think you've acted very responsibly.  Vacations are hard on our bariatric lifestyle and as humans, we can screw up every once in awhile (at least that's what my therapist keeps trying to tell me <_< ).  But you acknowledged and took ownership of yourweight gain immediately.  You identified the problem and are fixing it.  That's a success story.  Sitting back, Doing the same thing for months and then wondering how you gained 20-30 pounds would have been irresponsible.

I totally agree. 

Gaining some weight on vacation is a minor mistake that can be fixed by going back onto the strict diet.  I expect that all of us who are at our goal weight have done this.  On the other hand, gaining some weight and then doing nothing about it would make it into a major mistake.

Thank you everyone. It is amazing what a week and a half of cleaner eating and exercise will do for ones mind and body. I was not going to share this struggle with everyone, but felt if one person could benefit from my post than I should do so. I am on my way back. It was amazing to see some of my old behaviors come out as well. I was blaming everyone, we ate out to much, we drank too much, etc....I am glad I reeled myself in and Thank you all for the input, you are all an inspiration to me and I really need TT to keep myself grounded.

Thanks - Duff

Many/most of us have shared various struggles on this forum, it's not easy to do this alone.

Edited by tmcgee

19 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

Many/most of us have shared various struggles on this forum, it's not easy to do this alone.

I agree.  This forum supplies very valuable support to many of us, myself included.

I'm glad to hear you are back on track! ;-) 

Many of us had surgery so we could live again.  Vacations are living.  They are about having fun.  Even people without wls gain weight on vacations.  As many have said the responsible thing is grabbing the reins and taking control when you get home.  I know the first place I will head tonight when we get home at midnight will be the scale (I know about what I weigh at night even though I weigh in the morning).  

You're not alone in this Duff. I was in Vegas for work last week and did not go prepared with healthy snacks. It was basically 4 days of carb-heavy breakfasts, a light lunch, afternoon snacks and then around 6:00pm began a 5 hour stretch of cocktails and food. I justified every bite of french toast, every sip of wine, etc by saying "It's just a few bites. I'm in Vegas. It's just a few days. I got 13k steps in today."  Wash, rinse, repeat for 4 days. As soon as I got home Thursday night, I got on the scales and was horrified to see that I'd gained 5 lbs in 4 days!  I do think some of it was fluid retention because 2lbs are gone this morning. I only drank protein shakes yesterday but my stomach is growling and my head is begging for carbs. This food and weight thing will be a battle we'll fight forever. Managing the ups before they get out of control is key. Having this group of people battling together- who understand how real the struggle is, is so valuable. Thanks for sharing Duff. You've got this. 

5 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Many of us had surgery so we could live again.  Vacations are living.  They are about having fun.  Even people without wls gain weight on vacations.  As many have said the responsible thing is grabbing the reins and taking control when you get home.  I know the first place I will head tonight when we get home at midnight will be the scale (I know about what I weigh at night even though I weigh in the morning).  

Thanks Lois!

4 hours ago, Dunndeal said:

You're not alone in this Duff. I was in Vegas for work last week and did not go prepared with healthy snacks. It was basically 4 days of carb-heavy breakfasts, a light lunch, afternoon snacks and then around 6:00pm began a 5 hour stretch of cocktails and food. I justified every bite of french toast, every sip of wine, etc by saying "It's just a few bites. I'm in Vegas. It's just a few days. I got 13k steps in today."  Wash, rinse, repeat for 4 days. As soon as I got home Thursday night, I got on the scales and was horrified to see that I'd gained 5 lbs in 4 days!  I do think some of it was fluid retention because 2lbs are gone this morning. I only drank protein shakes yesterday but my stomach is growling and my head is begging for carbs. This food and weight thing will be a battle we'll fight forever. Managing the ups before they get out of control is key. Having this group of people battling together- who understand how real the struggle is, is so valuable. Thanks for sharing Duff. You've got this. 

Thanks dunn and everyone. I panicked. But I am living life , and though I struggle at times, I am much healthier now than I was 18 months ago.I value all of you.

7 hours ago, duffman27 said:

Thanks dunn and everyone. I panicked. But I am living life , and though I struggle at times, I am much healthier now than I was 18 months ago.I value all of you.

Duff - it's just 2 weeks of being off-plan.  That's nothing to beat yourself up about - you're back on track.

Panicking with weight gain is normal for folk who've been heavy and put a great deal of effort into losing their excess weight.  But just to put this into perspective, one of my girlfriends has just returned from a 3 week vacation touring Europe.  She's been a normal weight for the 30+ years that I've known her but she returned with 9lb of excess baggage.

I've always known her to be a clean eater but vacations for her (and just about everyone else I know) are a time to sample things that are not routinely included in her diet - and all washed down with copious amounts of red vino and and local wines, local pastries and breads etc. etc.

She doesn't beat herself up about it as she never sees her vacation time for restraint of any kind.

1 week later and she's dropped 3lb - give her another 3ish weeks and she'll be right back where she started.

So!  If you want to enjoy your vacation and (eat and drink) some of the things that aren't normally part of your regular diet, you'll just have to deal with it when you come home.  Or, (and this is what another girlfriend does) spend a couple of weeks pre-vacation cutting back and dropping a few pounds that'll lessen what you'll have to deal with when you get back.