Sign in to follow this  
ridgetop01

burning sensation in lower chest?

Recommended Posts

I'm 4 years and a few months out from surgery. Lately I experience a burning sensation in my lower chest when I wake up in the middle of the night, and sometimes during the day. I always have gas, that seems a given, but don't seem to have anything coming up when I burp or anything. Should I talk to my doctor about this? It seems like no big deal, but it is definitely new and annoying/worrisome. Thanks, folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be heartburn or acid build up? Good idea to call your doctor just to be safe. It could be an early ulcer, which is very painful after bypass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd really recommend you see your surgeon or PCP.  Burning is generally a sign of acid issues and that's not something you have to deal with.

In the meantime, have you tried an OTC antacid - Gaviscon, Tums etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know it's funny - I assumed I would never need antacids, because there's no stomach left, at least not above the intestine where acid could come up, right? The mechanics must be totally different now - acid comes up from intestine, through pouch, to esophagus if that were indeed what's happening? In any event, thanks, I will call my bariatric doctor's office and see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Ridgetop.  Keep us posted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ridgetop01 said:

You know it's funny - I assumed I would never need antacids, because there's no stomach left, at least not above the intestine where acid could come up, right? The mechanics must be totally different now - acid comes up from intestine, through pouch, to esophagus if that were indeed what's happening? In any event, thanks, I will call my bariatric doctor's office and see what they say.

I've never had an ulcer but sometimes I get a little bit of what I'm assuming is an acid stomach/heartburn.  A homeopathist friend suggest DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) chewable tablets/lozenges.  I was a little sceptical but truthfully, it works for me and although I'd always recommend seeing a doc to anyone having  acid issues, if I can avoid traditional medications, I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called the surgeon's office today, they are putting me on Omeprazole (prescription dose) and seeing me in a week, and banning all alcohol :huh: between now and then. Sigh. After reading about ulcers after GB though, I get that it's clearly nothing to mess with and I'm willing to do whatever it takes, including unfortunately cleaner living at least for a while. I hope they don't make me give up coffee, but I fear that will be next. Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions, I'll come back with an update when I have more info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much coffee do you drink a day?  That also has acid...

feel better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drink 3 cups of coffee. I DREAD having to give that up too!!! My reading on ulcers says that now they think coffee doesn't cause problems, but who knows, surgeon's practice may feel otherwise. I'm really struggling with nausea this week, no vomiting (yet) but from mid morning on through late afternoon most days - bleah. I've had to give up alcohol and suspect that may be permanent, to give up coffee too will be the pits. Oh well, life does go on I suppose, and I still feel like it is worth it so I guess I should stop whining. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is reading this, or wondering, surgeon's office said gastritis, put me on carafate and omeprozole, plus zofran as needed for the nausea. The alcohol seems to be the only thing I'm doing wrong, and as noted I'm going to have to generally give it up, most likely. I find that if I drink a glass of wine or a hard cider I get severe sudden-onset nausea about 1.5 days later - odd delay. They are going to do an endoscopy to actually take a look. I'm pretty much resigned to giving it up now, sigh. The nausea is quite persuasive. I don't really understand how some people here have alcohol problems - does it not necessarily cause problems with everyone? My practice hasn't tested for the heliobactor pyloris yet (sp?) either, so I suppose that could be an issue, but I accept that drinking with a RNY is a bad idea generally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much alcohol do you drink?  Is it often?  

About 80 per cent of the time alcohol makes me sick; hugging a bucket, drooling sick!  Every once in a while I'll try it.  Back in May on vacation I had a rum punch.  It set ok so I went for another, I could tell right away it wasn't going to sit well so I stopped.  Put it in the fridge.  A couple days later I pulled it out and drank it, was violently ill.  Here's the thing, it was the same exact drink (size, ingredients) that was fine one time and not the next.  I refuse to drink in public because I have no clue how I'm going to handle it.  The only time I tried a margarita in public I got half of it down before having to race to the bathroom.  Now I just label myself the designated driver;). No one bats an eye!  Sometimes a couple of sips makes me drunk, other times it takes a whole drink.  I used to love a good Bloody Mary or in the summer sip a margarita on the deck.  But I've pretty much given that up.  But then when I think I've given up something I enjoyed I remember I have gotten health and hopefully a longer life in return.  Guess that's a good trade off.  

Isnt it funny how some can tolerate some things and others can't?  

Sure hope your stomach troubles improve!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, finally had an endoscopy, I have several ulcers in the top of the small intestine, just below where it joins the pouch :huh:. The doctor says it's almost certainly from alcohol, though she also did a biopsy to check for the bacteria that is implicated in many ulcers, and says I can't drink, ever. I'm resigned, I guess, but it does make me sad, because I really enjoy trying different wines. As I think I said before, I don't know how some people can manage to develop alcohol problems and live with them after this surgery - evidently not everyone is as sensitive to it. In the long run I do know that I'll be healthier, but ... sigh. Anyway, counting my blessings, still wouldn't ever choose to go back to the way I was before the surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this