Minfit

New to this

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to this page and WLS. I am 52 years old and have been overweight every since my last pregnancy, 31 years ago. I am at my biggest right now. I have already seen my surgeon and had 1 NUT. visit. My insurance requirement is 6 months of weight loss, keeping ITT off and 6 NUT. visits. I am ready for this change I have been researching WLS FOR OVER 2 YEARS. I have decided not to tell anyone except for my husband due to past conversations with my family and hearing all the negative remarks. But I do have 3 friends who have already had surgery and are doing great and are aware of my decision to do so. I have already found so much good information on here. That's it for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome.  This is a great place for information and support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. I've been pretty open about my surgery, and I've gotten very positive responses. That said, I haven't spoken about it with my in-laws. I don't mind them knowing; it's just never felt right saying, and they haven't asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  Who and when you tell people about your surgery is a highly personal issue.  Whether or not to tell people becomes a lot more of an issue when you begin to lose massive amounts of weight, as everyone will ask you how you did it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TT! Most of us here have been through the process, and some of us are more seasoned than others. I just had my sleeve done 2-17-16, but if I can help you in any way just let me know :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi everyone, 

For some reason I have been eating everything in sight.  Before I went to my 1 St. Doc. Appointment I stopped drinking soda and using a straw and cutting back on portions. Now that I am being weight and need to lose I can't stop eating. I guess it's nervous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2016 at 7:19 PM, Minfit said:

hi everyone, 

For some reason I have been eating everything in sight.  Before I went to my 1 St. Doc. Appointment I stopped drinking soda and using a straw and cutting back on portions. Now that I am being weight and need to lose I can't stop eating. I guess it's nervous. 

Been there, done that!! I finished my 6 month supervised diet, got approved, got my surgery date (June 7) and it was like the floodgates were opened. I was out of control for about 2 weeks and regained 8 lbs. Got myself back in control now and hoping to have the 8 lbs off BEFORE I weigh in again! It happens and yep I'd imagine it's nerves. I am excited to have the surgery and scared at the same time! We will get through this!!

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums!

The excessive eating could be a coping mechanism. You are scared, your head is scared, and that's the natural reaction for you to just eat the worry away. Been there. Not saying it's a good thing, just saying it's common. And yes, the supervised 6 months is also a gauge to see if you are ready to make the commitment that you will have to make for life. I'm here to tell you that just because you lose the weight after the surgery doesn't mean you are then immune to gaining it back. I'm dealing with a slight gain currently because I started back into bad habits and gained about 22 lbs back. I woke up, realized what was happening, and am forcing myself back to being diligent. It's easy to gain weight right back, so the best plan now is to try to figure out what is causing you to eat and make the horrible choices and figure out how you can manage it and eliminate those triggers.

It's a long journey, but if you commit to it 100%, you will lose your weight. But, you have to put in the work to succeed. Best of luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,  I have started drinking some protein shakes, and I am having awful stomach pain.  I am using six star whey protein strawberry with unsweetened almond milk,  cottage cheese low fat, and a few frozen blueberries and use my bullet for a few seconds.  I have never had a problem with milk products. While I am drinking them they are good but about 30 min. To an hour I feel sick, week and bloated. What does everyone think. I am using this in place of my night snack, use to eat ice cream every night so the shakes really help with that since I have to lose at least 30 lbs. I really need this to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno. That snack sounds pretty tame, and you're pre-op. Is this shake the only thing that bothers you? Do you eat its ingredients at other times without incident?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I am still in my 6 months insurance requirements and wanted to start with some protein shakes to get use to them. I made me a protein shake this morning with just water and the protein powder didn't have any problems all day. Crazy right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt unless they are in my shakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  Not all Greek yogurts are yucky!  Many here like Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt.  I love the salted Carmel.  I hate every other kind of Greek yogurt:). 

For my 6 mo diet I just could not gain.  I did have food funerals.  Some of which I haven't had since.  I use Syntrax protein powders.  They are whey isolate (more pure form of protein).  I mix mine with water to cut calories.  You can also use a combination ice and water for a slushy.  Eggface.com has some good protein powder ice creams.  She has good recipes.  

Good luck on your journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Minfit said:

Hi everyone,  I have started drinking some protein shakes, and I am having awful stomach pain.  I am using six star whey protein strawberry with unsweetened almond milk,  cottage cheese low fat, and a few frozen blueberries and use my bullet for a few seconds.  I have never had a problem with milk products. While I am drinking them they are good but about 30 min. To an hour I feel sick, week and bloated. What does everyone think. I am using this in place of my night snack, use to eat ice cream every night so the shakes really help with that since I have to lose at least 30 lbs. I really need this to work. 

Sounds like something you might want to bring up with the doctor. In the interim, some people have a problem with whey protein post-op. There are other vegetable based proteins that you might want to try instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

Update on how I am doing. Went to the NUT today and I have last 8 lbs. I was shocked and happy. She told me the problems I was having with my protein powder is an ingredient that hurts a lot of people. So I am getting a new kind she suggested.  I am so glad I lost some weight I was really scared when all I was doing to start with was eat.  So, now to keep going I have 4 more months of Nuts visits to complete and keep losing. She also told me I would have a 3 week liquid diet when my ins. approves me. It is hard to believe 3 weeks of no food. I will spend a lot of money on protein shakes. All she approve are expensive I think. But I want this so got to do it!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minfit said:

Hi everyone,

Update on how I am doing. Went to the NUT today and I have last 8 lbs. I was shocked and happy. She told me the problems I was having with my protein powder is an ingredient that hurts a lot of people. So I am getting a new kind she suggested.  I am so glad I lost some weight I was really scared when all I was doing to start with was eat.  So, now to keep going I have 4 more months of Nuts visits to complete and keep losing. She also told me I would have a 3 week liquid diet when my ins. approves me. It is hard to believe 3 weeks of no food. I will spend a lot of money on protein shakes. All she approve are expensive I think. But I want this so got to do it!!!

That's a great attitude! I "only" had a two week pre-op liquid diet and while it does seem daunting, it helped me to remind myself of how far I'd come and that I didn't want to screw it up right at the very end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have started buying a few things to be ready for my 3 week liquid diet. I have about 4 months to go before I even know if I meet all ins. Requirements but I have faith I will, so my NUT gave me a list of the vitamins and all the protein shakes I will have to drink. I have to drink like 6 shakes a day so that gets expensive if you are getting the ready to drink ones. So, Costco don't carry the muscle milk light in the powder, I bought 3, 18 pkg today to start. I thought if I buy a few a week I should have enough without having to buy them all at once. The vitamins, O boy, all the vitamins.  So anyway I want to be prepared and to do my best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minfit, I understand the excitement and enthusiasm, but many people find that their tastes change or even just get tired of what they bought and end up stuck with a bunch of stuff they don't like. You have months to prepare for your surgery. You might want to get samples of several different things to figure out what you think you might like. You can get single servings of various powders at nashuanutrition.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I understand that. But this is for my pre.op diet 3 weeks of nothing but liquid shakes I will go through a lot at 6 a day for 21 days. So I can't afford to buy them all at once 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does WLS help with body order?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Minfit said:

Does WLS help with body order?  

Ooh, good question (I assume you meant body odor). Depending on what is going on, it has the potential to make it better or make it worse. If there's odor from fungal or bacterial overgrowth in skin folds and weight loss makes the skin folds easier to keep clean and dry, it could help. Ditto for any smell resulting from excess sweating or urinary incontinence. On the other hand, some people are bothered by the odor that can be generated by being in ketosis due to low carbohydrate intake (especially the potential for bad breath), and many people experience increased intestinal gas, in some cases with quite foul odor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2016 at 1:11 PM, ShrinkMe said:

Been there, done that!! I finished my 6 month supervised diet, got approved, got my surgery date (June 7) and it was like the floodgates were opened. I was out of control for about 2 weeks and regained 8 lbs. Got myself back in control now and hoping to have the 8 lbs off BEFORE I weigh in again! It happens and yep I'd imagine it's nerves. I am excited to have the surgery and scared at the same time! We will get through this!!

T

I got you beat - I'm also going for surgery on June 7 but my out of control thing lasted for about 3 weeks. I fought a psychological battle with soft donuts with buttercream filling, and the donuts won. Started my liquid diet on Monday, down 2 pounds (again). It is what it is. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my 3rd NUT visit today, down 2 more lbs. Better than gaining, it's hard to believe I am half way.  A little advice, I started this journey March 31 I went for my sleep study the middle of April and I was really surprised when they told me I had sleep apnea. I went for my follow up appointment around 2 weeks later, here it is the middle of June and I still don't have a machine. I called and was told the hold up is getting approval from my insurance company on the pulmonary test. So my advice is don't wait on any of your appointments. They take time, so I hope to have this cleared up and another item checked off my list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

help!!!!!

just got a call my doctor quit. There are no other doctors at his office. They are going to send me a letter with names of drs. In my area but he was the only one covered by insurance the next dr. Is 3 hrs. Away I  have done 3 months of my 6 months required by insurance. Has this happened to anyone before?? Please give me some advice..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...