Bikini cravings

Did you ever cheat? Honestly?

Hi there

I was sleeved 10 days ago. Feeling good. 

Doctor did not put me on pre op diet. And by the time I was done I was told to drink clear liquids only. 

But I cheated. Yes I did. 

Being in the kitchen, cooking for the family, smelling food, .... Was too tempting. 

So I started with greek yogurt. 6 days post op. my doctor s office was really angry at me but they did not give me any clear action plan.

than one day, I actually chewed meat and threw it after chewing it thoroughly. The taste was heavenly.

I just feel it is too hard to not eat. I mean I do not want to cheat on chocolate but I need to eat something, preferably salty.  

How bad is it?? 

Have any of you ever cheated? That early on? 

Thank you all. 

I didn't personally because I was so scared. They put you on this diet to be careful. You have hundreds of tiny staples holding your cut stomach together. Any time you deviate from their diet plan you run the risk of inflaming the sensitive lining of your stomach and inflammation causes other risks. Someone I know out of state with a different doctor cheated with a thouroughly chewed soft fruit like a peach and no skin and it ended up inflaming his stomach badly that he developed an ulcer right above his staple line and the acid ate through part of his staple line. This is one of the worst case scenarios yes, but it is POSSIBLE.

You should be clear liquids like broths, diet sports drinks like propel water, clear soups like miso with no msg and no chunks. When you are cleared from that you move onto fuller liquids. this is your protein shakes, filtered soups with no chunks or texture, purees that are strained and filtered, thinned sugar free puddings. After you're cleared from that you start your soft foods cottage cheeses, blended soups without chunks but they don't need filtering, you can try soft cooked eggs, Greek yogurts, normal sugar free puddings etc. 

If you're not clear ask to meet with your nutritionist do over a more detailed food list and action plan. do not go rouge. Be SAFE.

By cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

the early stages are crucial, and a time to be forming healthy habits.

please think about that before your next cheat.

Like mysticcryptic, I was too concerned with my own safety to do anything other than EXACTLY what my surgeon advised.  Between pre and postop I was on liquids for 34 days.  It's very doable and looking back now it's barely a faint memory.

Once my sleeve was fully healed and I was out of the danger zone of developing complications, I've simply ate in a manner that allowed me to lose all of my excess weight and so far, keep it off.  WLS isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle.  There is no such thing as cheating, there are only choices.  You can make choices that aid in reaching and maintaining your goal, or you can make choices that sabotage your ability to do so.

No, I've never cheated. This isn't a diet; you can't cheat. You can have bad days and good days but I don't believe in "cheating". Just keep moving forward. Cheated means failed and you can't fail this by putting a single "bad" thing in your mouth. There's no such thing as "bad" food, anyway--it's about your overall diet over a day/week/month/year. You fail by making bad choices day after day over a long period of time.

Having said that, if you're trying things that early it's dangerous. Internal bleeding and stomach acid tearing up your insides because you blew a staple line would make you have a pretty rotten day, regardless of how good something tasted or the semantics of the word, "cheated". I was very strict for the 8 weeks it takes that kind of surgical wound to fully heal.

Your sleeve the first couple weeks with all the swelling is the width of a pen.  A pen.   There are reasons why we are liquids, pureeds, soft foods so long -  its to allow your new stomach to heal.  80% of it was removed and there is a loooooong, raw, red, swollen, angry staple line holding it back together.  This takes time to heal. 

You are able to 'not' chew something for a few weeks.  Saying you can't or its too hard is really just an excuse.  You CAN do it.  Most of us DID do it.  Does it suck? Absolutely!!  But you are more the capable of sticking to the rules for a couple weeks out of the entire rest of your life.  What is a couple weeks in the grand scheme of things?  Nothing really.  You do it cause you want to be safe, you do it cause you want to re-learn, you do it cause you want to be successful....  you just do it.

Thank you for your answers.  I will remember what you have all said when I am tempted!!! 

I have to keep busy and avoid being around food which is not always easy. 

My doctor does not have a nutritionist on hand. He is a bit clumsy on what to eat and what not to eat. I should find a nutritionist very soon.

There are nutrition boards and such on here as well you can lurk on in the mean time :)

Stay on plan and it works. Off plan, you have to ask yourself why you bothered with major surgery...

20 hours ago, Bikini cravings said:

Thank you for your answers.  I will remember what you have all said when I am tempted!!! 

My doctor does not have a nutritionist on hand. He is a bit clumsy on what to eat and what not to eat. I should find a nutritionist very soon.

You don't need a nutritionist. Anything you need to know you can find here. Jolls has a great post about what to eat and when. Don't go off plan until your stomach is totally healed and even then, I don't recommend it. To be successful you need to create new habits for the rest of your life. 

1 minute ago, Stephtay said:

You don't need a nutritionist. Anything you need to know you can find here. Jolls has a great post about what to eat and when. Don't go off plan until your stomach is totally healed and even then, I don't recommend it. To be successful you need to create new habits for the rest of your life. 

This ..and what others have said. I do not cheat, I do make choices on a daily basis and they work for me. There is no food or craving that controls me anymore and I owe this to sticking with the plan and training my mind and body to know what works for me ....you can do this! 

Well, we are not medical professionals here.  And some would argue NUTs are worthless and I'm sure many are - but many are not as well.  I would be more concerned over the fact of the surgeon/program who has no guideance or information available to a bariatric patient.  I will assume it was not a Center of Excellence.

Here was my programs guidelines:

Week 0-2 liquids:  protein shakes, broth, jello, SF popsciles, any other SF/no-caffeine drink 

Week 2-4 pureeds:  baby food (lol, does anyone really do that?), yogurt (no fruit pieces), pureed meat, cottage cheese, SF pudding, cream of wheat/oatmeal (needs to be runny consistancy), pureed veggies/fruit (no skin/seeds), strained soups, beans 

Week 4-8 soft:  eggs, chicken/tuna salad, moist tender meats (like chicken), baked fish, crisp toast (not bread, crispy crisp toast), crackers, potato, canned veggie/fruit, soft fruits (no skin), cheese, peanut butter 

Week 8-forever regular:  Free to eat whatever you want though advised to heavily limit pasta, bread, rice or other such starchy foods, high fat or sugary foods.  Be cautious of tough, dry meats, nuts, fiberous fruit/veggie like pineapple or celery (some people have issues with those 'cautioned' things)

*Pro tip  -  add protein powder to whatever you can.  Even a tablespoon or two snuck into some pudding or oatmeal will at least make them semi-worthwhile eating since they have no protein otherwise.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces

2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces

4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces

6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

You do not NEED to eat these amount -  they are just guidelines to stay within to prevent accidental over eating until the nerve connections are all working again and you know your new full feeling warning.  Progress as your sleeve allows -  you do not need to rush it.  If you can't eat more then 2oz on week 4 that is perfectly fine and normal....  progress

On 4/16/2016 at 5:57 PM, ThinCVT said:

WLS isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle.  There is no such thing as cheating, there are only choices.  You can make choices that aid in reaching and maintaining your goal, or you can make choices that sabotage your ability to do so.

This is exactly how I look at it.

With that said, I absolutely did not go off plan right after surgery. I was scared to mess up my new sleeve.  Plus I had enough trouble getting in enough protein and liquids as it was, without adding other stuff.

If you want something salty, have broth. That's plenty salty.

Edited by BeachGirl

14 hours ago, Jolls said:

Well, we are not medical professionals here.  And some would argue NUTs are worthless and I'm sure many are - but many are not as well.  I would be more concerned over the fact of the surgeon/program who has no guideance or information available to a bariatric patient.  I will assume it was not a Center of Excellence.

Here was my programs guidelines:

Week 0-2 liquids:  protein shakes, broth, jello, SF popsciles, any other SF/no-caffeine drink 

Week 2-4 pureeds:  baby food (lol, does anyone really do that?), yogurt (no fruit pieces), pureed meat, cottage cheese, SF pudding, cream of wheat/oatmeal (needs to be runny consistancy), pureed veggies/fruit (no skin/seeds), strained soups, beans 

Week 4-8 soft:  eggs, chicken/tuna salad, moist tender meats (like chicken), baked fish, crisp toast (not bread, crispy crisp toast), crackers, potato, canned veggie/fruit, soft fruits (no skin), cheese, peanut butter 

Week 8-forever regular:  Free to eat whatever you want though advised to heavily limit pasta, bread, rice or other such starchy foods, high fat or sugary foods.  Be cautious of tough, dry meats, nuts, fiberous fruit/veggie like pineapple or celery (some people have issues with those 'cautioned' things)

*Pro tip  -  add protein powder to whatever you can.  Even a tablespoon or two snuck into some pudding or oatmeal will at least make them semi-worthwhile eating since they have no protein otherwise.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces

2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces

4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces

6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

You do not NEED to eat these amount -  they are just guidelines to stay within to prevent accidental over eating until the nerve connections are all working again and you know your new full feeling warning.  Progress as your sleeve allows -  you do not need to rush it.  If you can't eat more then 2oz on week 4 that is perfectly fine and normal....  progress

Cinwa - can this be pinned if it hasn't already?

5 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Cinwa - can this be pinned if it hasn't already?

Jolls plan is pinned here:  VSG Newbies - Read This!

The last thing my surgeon told me before I checked out of the hospital after having VSG was that if I cheated on my diet at all and developed a leak it would be CATASTROPHIC. That is literally the word he used. Scared the hell out of me but it was very effective. I never cheated. And like many on here have said - this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. Get used to it. There are alot of times it SUCKS but it's worth it.

I thought I was bad by having a little wine after a month, but my wife decided to drink a long-island iced tea about 4 weeks after surgery. Most of the folks here are correct that you should tax your belly in the first 14 days, but past that just apple-sauce consistency chew your food and you'll be fine. I was!

That said, some food is gonna anger the bellah for awhile. So take everything in small stride, and don't be an idiot with it.

On April 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM, ThinCVT said:

Like mysticcryptic, I was too concerned with my own safety to do anything other than EXACTLY what my surgeon advised.  Between pre and postop I was on liquids for 34 days.  It's very doable and looking back now it's barely a faint memory.

Once my sleeve was fully healed and I was out of the danger zone of developing complications, I've simply ate in a manner that allowed me to lose all of my excess weight and so far, keep it off.  WLS isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle.  There is no such thing as cheating, there are only choices.  You can make choices that aid in reaching and maintaining your goal, or you can make choices that sabotage your ability to do so.

I totally agree with this.  

My NUT preached the doctrine of "mindful eating" which means that you think about everything that you eat (and drink) - what it is, when you eat it, what nutrients are in it, how much you eat, etc.  Long terms success after weight loss surgery is based on your diet - which you can totally control - as the surgery is just a tool that is almost worthless in the long term without a real change in your diet and relationship with food.

The next time that you want to cheat, think of what is safe for your pouch and also remember that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

On 4/16/2016 at 11:10 PM, Bikini cravings said:

YES YOU SHOULD!!!

On April 17, 2016 at 0:10 AM, Bikini cravings said:

Two things - first of all, you should see a nutritionist who works with weight loss surgery patients as the nutritional issues that we face are very different than what normal people face.  

Second, you should find diet and vitamin plans for what to eat and what vitamins to take after sleeve surgery and discuss it with your surgeon.  Here are some to look at (you can find many more on line):

http://bariatrics.ucla.edu/workfiles/UCLA-Bariatric-postoperative-diet-instructions.pdf

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/johns_hopkins_bayview/_docs/medical_services/bariatrics/nutrition_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Hey there my friends, 

Tomorrow will be 4weeks post up. I am doing very well and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. 

This morning I had an appointment with a nutritionist. I liked her very much as all her recommendations are in line with what I have read on this forum. She was shocked that I was not put on any protein shakes and thinks I really need to up my protein intake. According to her, chicken stock soothes the stomach but is in no way a replacement to real protein. 

She was fine with my "cheating" being yogurt which she approves of. 

She asked me to run some extra tests which were not done to me earlier to assess my vitamin levels. 

Last week end we went with the family to a small hike in the mountains and I was able to walk and enjoy the scenery. 

I have lost a total of 20 pounds and I am very happy about that. 

Congratulations! I am so glad you got on track and found a NUT and twenty pounds, that's awesome!

I didn't cheat either - I was too scared I'd screw something up internally. BUT - I recently went out to Red Lobster with the family and had a few nibbles on a cheese biscuit. It's been nine months and the NUT ok'd it. :) That's about as much cheating as I've done. 

So i had the same problem.  Thought it was just me.  I needed to chew! Then on day 10 my daughter had chips. I needed the crunch and the salt.  So i put one in my mouth and chewed, it was heavenly. I did not swallow it i grabbed a napkin and threw it out, but that was all i needed to get me to my next stage.