duffman27

Song of the day Post -

After reading Steph's NSV post about breaking up with Lane (LOL) all I could think of is, " it's over, it's over, it's over" Loverboy. So I had to take a listen! 

Mad World - Tears for Fears

14 hours ago, Clickin said:

Panama - Van Halen

Eddie Van Halen is the guitar player's guitar player, a truly amazing talent!  And then there is Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Richie Blackmore, Buddy Guy, Lennie Breau, Jimmy Page, Eric, Chet, Jimi, John McLaughlin, Angus Young, Slash, and a bunch more of my personal heroes that I'm unintentionally omitting, including my best friend and first bandmate, John Kalishes, who is no longer with us.

Did I mention that I've been playing guitar again and have been taking lessons after a 40 year lapse? Been at it again for almost a year. I have a brilliant teacher who is the real deal, session musician, touring player, and has done many stage shows like Jesus Christ Superstar. Love the guy he has the same heroes I do.

I still have the Hagstrom II I bought in 1965 when I was 15, and have been going over the top since I started pl;saying again, 15 guitars, acoustic and mostly electric, plus 3 different sizes of ukulele. Latest acquisition is an Epiphone Les Paul, that I bought for $300-400 less than they sell for because of a cracked neck. I fixed it today and it played and sounds just as it should.

I also have a "grab bag" guitar coming from William Gelvin in a month or so. He is a custom guitar builder with a very active YouTube channel, and he sells guitars that can cost $3k up. He's selling off old prototypes for very short money. His YouTube channel is Willseasyguitar and he's as colorful a character as you'd ever want to meet. We've corresponded quite a a bit. He can be as crass as all getup, but he's brilliantly talented and capable. gelvinguitars.com.  If you watch anything, watch his two part series on "Why I started building guitars" -- It's about 3 hours long in total, but I've watched it twice.

Edited by tmcgee

5 hours ago, tmcgee said:

Eddie Van Halen is the guitar player's guitar player, a truly amazing talent!  And then there is Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Richie Blackmore, Buddy Guy, Lennie Breau, Jimmy Page, Eric, Chet, Jimi, John McLaughlin, Angus Young, Slash, and a bunch more of my personal heroes that I'm unintentionally omitting, including my best friend and first bandmate, John Kalishes, who is no longer with us.

Did I mention that I've been playing guitar again and have been taking lessons after a 40 year lapse? Been at it again for almost a year. I have a brilliant teacher who is the real deal, session musician, touring player, and has done many stage shows like Jesus Christ Superstar. Love the guy he has the same heroes I do.

I still have the Hagstrom II I bought in 1965 when I was 15, and have been going over the top since I started pl;saying again, 15 guitars, acoustic and mostly electric, plus 3 different sizes of ukulele. Latest acquisition is an Epiphone Les Paul, that I bought for $300-400 less than they sell for because of a cracked neck. I fixed it today and it played and sounds just as it should.

I also have a "grab bag" guitar coming from William Gelvin in a month or so. He is a custom guitar builder with a very active YouTube channel, and he sells guitars that can cost $3k up. He's selling off old prototypes for very short money. His YouTube channel is Willseasyguitar and he's as colorful a character as you'd ever want to meet. We've corresponded quite a a bit. He can be as crass as all getup, but he's brilliantly talented and capable. gelvinguitars.com.  If you watch anything, watch his two part series on "Why I started building guitars" -- It's about 3 hours long in total, but I've watched it twice.

Both my teenage sons started playing several years ago and my house is littered with electronic and acoustic guitars and bass guitars. We even have a 12-string that sounds amazing.  I introduced them to the "classics" when they where young and their heroes are pretty much the same as yours. . . Half of their friends don't know who they are talking about when they get into a music discussion :blink:

I will pass along that you tube channel, that is something they would love. 

9 hours ago, tmcgee said:

I also love Stevie Ray Vaughn...I had a chance to see him and passed it up and I regret missing that concert to this day...awsome you are playing Tom! 

Showing my age!  Been dusting off my old vinyls ...  Spiral Staircase ... I Love You More Today Than Yesterday (1969).

8 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Showing my age!  Been dusting off my old vinyls ...  Spiral Staircase ... I Love You More Today Than Yesterday (1969).

Anything on Vinyl sounds so much better. I miss record players, and spending the day rifling through the albums at the record store. 

1 hour ago, duffman27 said:

I also love Stevie Ray Vaughn...I had a chance to see him and passed it up and I regret missing that concert to this day...awsome you are playing Tom! 

I didn't mean to omit Stevie Ray, John Lee Hooker, Bonnie Raitt, Chris Smither, Tom Rush, and the other dozen I know I'm leaving out. I have a picture of me standing next to the bronze statue of him in a downtown Austin park. Naturally, I'm posed trying to take his Strat away from him.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. :D

As for guitarists, as a native Texan, I'm supposed to like Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I never have, even while he was alive. I simply don't like Blues. But a name I haven't seen here that guitarists I've known seem to have a little hero worship thing for is Ingwei Malmstein (sp?)

27 minutes ago, WendyH said:

Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. :D

As for guitarists, as a native Texan, I'm supposed to like Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I never have, even while he was alive. I simply don't like Blues. But a name I haven't seen here that guitarists I've known seem to have a little hero worship thing for is Ingwei Malmstein (sp?)

It's interesting how we all tend to like music for different reasons, some people prefer style, or lyrics, or melody, rhythm, etc.

I keep thinking of people I left off my list, like Ry Cooder, Santana, Orianthi, Steve Vai, BB King, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Joe Satriani, Andre Segovia, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny, George Benson, Duane Allman, and if I could remember everyone, it would be a very very long list.

2 hours ago, Cuban_Momma said:

Anything on Vinyl sounds so much better. I miss record players, and spending the day rifling through the albums at the record store. 

Yes. I miss record stores. On Showtime is a documentary about Tower Records. I grew up on the outskirts of Sacramento and everytime I had some money (babysitting, bday, etc), I would beg my mom to take me to Tower Records, she would drop us off and go shopping and we would spend hours browsing and listening to music in the listening booths. Every last cent was spent on 45's. 

If ya'll have the ability, watch that doc!!

19 minutes ago, duffman27 said:

hunk a hunk a burnin love!

Thank you, thank you very much. 

Push It - Garbage