Katiebobbles

Horrible post surgery care that I would like people to be aware of...

So... It took me 5 years to decide on this surgery. 

I work in a hospital, so I found a surgeon I wanted to perform my operation and was added to his patient list at another private hospital. I felt reassured at the consultation and I also had the added bonus of knowing how this doctor interacted with patients and I was happy that I had made the right choice. 

My surgery got cancelled from 5/3/16 to 17/3/16 due to a lack of beds at the first hospital and another space at an alternative hospital was found. I was nervous on the day, but desperately wanted the vsg done. All was good when I arrived and the anaesthetists were brilliant at putting me at ease. They couldn't find my vein, which was nothing new, and said they would find it arterially when I was asleep..which I was very happy with too! 

When I woke up, I was in a lot of pain in my right side, and nowhere near the ports. The recovery team gave me pethadine for the pain and when my blood pressure returned to normal, I was taken to my room. At this point , it was about 1pm and I had not had anything to drink since 7pm the day before. I had no I.v fluids and as I soon started to realise, no I.v painkillers. 

I was told to drink sips of water, which 3 hours post op, I couldn't lake more than a tiny sip every ten minutes. I was finding it hard to talk as my mouth was so dry and I had headaches and by 6pm, trouble hearing too. The pain was unbearable and I requested pain relief. I was given 3 tablets to take. I told the nurse that I couldn't swallow them ( my throat had been damaged during intubation) and she told me that my surgery was elective and for weightloss......and that due to this, that my pain wasn't a priority. 

I knew then that things weren't right. I didn't receive any painkillers until much later that night. Not only was I sobbing, but because I was so dehydrated, I was becoming confused so it must have been hard to understand me. After that particular nurse left for the night, I did get my iv fluids and painkillers, and had an ok ish night. What I didn't realise is that the same nurse was coming back the next day.. 

She took down my drips, saying that it wasn't protocol that I should have them and told me to drink and to take the tablets. I still couldn't do either. As she left my room, she said "for ...... sake, I'm not paid enough for this .........!" Again, I spent the whole day sobbing an in pain. She referred to me by my room number only and swore a lot about me and my neediness ( this was offensive as I have 4 children and a pretty impressive pain threshold :-| ) 

Obviously I have complained and am awaiting a reply, but I feel really traumatised by this as I felt so scared and vulnerable. I'm really hoping this doesn't affect my healing process in any way. So far however, since I left the hospital, I've had no complications and am just glad not to be there.. 

I really needed to write this down as I've only told a few about my surgery and I think it will really help. Thanks for reading and beware of private hospitals in the uk. Make sure they have knowledge of your procedure first!  

I'm so sorry that happened to you. When we are at our most vulnerable it is worse. Try to remind yourself of this wonderful new chapter in your life and try to forgive the horrible treatment you received.  

Breathe...

That's awful, I'm sorry you went through this horrible experience.

I didn't go through anything quite this terrible, but I did feel like one of my nurses treated me as though I should suck it up. I had to beg for over 24 hours for something for the migraine I had. I think that some of it (I'm inferring a lot here) comes from the attitude that its an "elected" procedure, and not something medically necessary, there fore they have less sympathy for us. I also felt like they kicked me out of the hospital before I was really stable enough or ready to go home, like I was literally dry heaving and crying and unable to drink anything when they told me I needed to leave.

I'm glad you complained to the hospital. That's completely unacceptable behavior for a nurse or any member of hospital staff. But, I'm also glad that you're now doing ok and not having any complications.

Katie - I'm truly sorry that you had a horrible experience with your VSG surgery.

Anyway - I'm glad you're here and recovering well - I'm sure that you'll read that your experience is very rare (at least in the US).

Sorry to hear Katie!!! Let us know whether the hospital has taken action against the nurse, imagine what she might be doing to others!

Wow, that sounds terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I'm glad to know that you're doing well now and that you were able to voice your concerns to the hospital. Please let us know how you make out.