Hi! I  a little nervous as I am scheduled for a Gastric Bypass on May 3, 2016. I am nervous. So many things going through my head and I find myself eating because I know or feel like I will never eat certain foods anymore. Is this normal? 

Nerves are very normal, we've all been there.  Best advice I have is to focus on how much better life will be as the weight drops.

Welcome to Thinner Times Nina!

I agree with Paul.  Nerves are normal but it's worth remembering, having a gastric bypass will not prevent you from eating anything.  

Only you can decide which foods you want to eliminate/restrict but you need to remember (and maybe writing a list and sticking it below one of your big girl photo's might help), it's those very foods that got you here in the first place.

The more you can clean up your act and get rid of those foods/drinks from your life, the easier your journey is going to be.

Welcome! Yep, what you're feeling is totally normal. Cinwa gave fantastic advice (as usual). I really think the nerves heighten everything and since (for the majority of us, anyway) one of our primary coping mechanisms is to eat, it makes perfect sense that a big life change combined with the idea that we'll be losing our main way of comforting ourselves would be a huge trigger to eat more. One thing that really helped me during that pre-op stage was really working through those feelings. I would tell myself, "Ok, what do I want more- to eat whatever I want and continue this life path or to do this surgery and commit to making a change?". The answer was clear for me, every single time. I still use that technique (plus the desire not to start down a slippery slope in regards to certain foods) and it's helps immensely. It's not always easy, but it is worth it.

Welcome to Thinner!  And Yup..nerves are normal.  The way I look at it is that isn't it worth being healthier?  I'd rather feel/be healthy than eat pasta, rice, etc.  It isn't that you can't eat those...it's more you choose not to.  I'm a year post bypass surgery and I couldn't be happier. 

On 3/30/2016 at 9:19 PM, athenarose said:

Welcome! Yep, what you're feeling is totally normal. Cinwa gave fantastic advice (as usual). I really think the nerves heighten everything and since (for the majority of us, anyway) one of our primary coping mechanisms is to eat, it makes perfect sense that a big life change combined with the idea that we'll be losing our main way of comforting ourselves would be a huge trigger to eat more. One thing that really helped me during that pre-op stage was really working through those feelings. I would tell myself, "Ok, what do I want more- to eat whatever I want and continue this life path or to do this surgery and commit to making a change?". The answer was clear for me, every single time. I still use that technique (plus the desire not to start down a slippery slope in regards to certain foods) and it's helps immensely. It's not always easy, but it is worth it.

yes, commit to make change