Irish Rose

Morning Pouch Pain

I am really trying to keep my spirits up and have a positive attitude, however my pouch is actually hurting with anything I consume first thing in the morning. I am still doing liquid first thing in the morning. I have tried different temperatures and all sorts of liquids. I am almost 7 weeks out from RNY and just wondering why this is happening now.  Has anyone else had this issue? I really just don't want to eat anymore because it hurts so much. 

Rose - are you on Omeprazole (Prilosec) - a proton pump inhibitor used to decreases the amount of acid produced?

Either way, put a call into your surgeon's office about it.  You don't have to put up with that, nor should you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will call my Dr office and talk to them tomorrow about the pain I am in and get the go ahead for prilosec. 

I was on Protonix (acid blocker) for my first year post op and it made ALL the difference for me. I tried to get off of it after 6 months and my pouch was not happy with me. It took a while, but it helped. Definitely worth the call.

On March 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Irish Rose said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will call my Dr office and talk to them tomorrow about the pain I am in and get the go ahead for prilosec. 

Any update? How are you doing?

I am doing much better. I am still healing and taking the acid reducer is helping so much. Now to just get past another stall. :P

Glad things are doing better!  I can't eat anything in the morning.  I do my decaf coffee and protein shake.  It's at least 10:00 when I can finally eat.