GERD many years after banding

I was banded in 2003, lost all my weight, then gained it all back over the last few years from a medication I'm taking that causes massive weight gain. In the last 2 years, I've developed GERD to the point where I have to keep a cup next to my bed so I can reflux into it all night. 

I sleep propped up, take tons of Prilosec and my band is empty now. I have a barium swallow next week. Has anyone else been through this? I know the band complication rate is pretty high, especially around 10 years out. I'm just curious if people have had to get it removed due to GERD.

I've never had a band, but I hear about more removals than placements. With GERD as bad as what you're describing, you would be well served to start investigating revision to bypass to see if it is something you would want to pursue.

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2016 at 11:56 PM, Heather519 said:

I was banded in 2003, lost all my weight, then gained it all back over the last few years from a medication I'm taking that causes massive weight gain. In the last 2 years, I've developed GERD to the point where I have to keep a cup next to my bed so I can reflux into it all night. 

I sleep propped up, take tons of Prilosec and my band is empty now. I have a barium swallow next week. Has anyone else been through this? I know the band complication rate is pretty high, especially around 10 years out. I'm just curious if people have had to get it removed due to GERD.

While my surgery wasn't a band ( it was Gastroplasty), I too have started to suffer severe reflux 30 years later. Well technically the gastro I'm seeing says it is regurgitation rather than GERD, proven by the barium swallow that followed an endoscopy done last year. This gastro is also the head of bariatric surgery at one of the major teaching hospitals in the state I live in. He has told me that the only real solution is reversal (removal of the staple line) or Revision to an RNY gastric bypass. This time next week I'll have consulted him again with my decision and will get the process started. I wasn't quite ready for what he said last consult, so took some time for some serious research.

I'm not a bander - I was sleeved and had a similar case of reflux at night --- it came out my nose! I did the barium swallow/GI series and that was promptly followed with endoscopy to find that my stomach/intestine were almost fully closed. The barium tastes awful and they're going to have you stand up & take sips while they take x-ray shots of it going down your esophagus and into the stomach. It's kind of neat to watch! Then they have you lay you flat on the table, shoot live x-ray shots and then spin you around and tilt the table toward your head a smidge - likely you're reflux will show & come up as this happens. Mine went all the way to my clavicle - and I seriously was swallowing hard, trying to not throw up. You have to keep the barium down for the testing - I know it sucks, but try your hardest! 

My long story short is that I was recently revised to RNY and the reflux has stopped (revision was 4/18 - so far,so good!)

Best to you!