ridgetop01

Protein requirements long term?

I'm wondering if anyone has any specific info on requirements for protein long-term post op - 4 years plus is where I'm at. I consume quite a lot of protein, plus veggies/fruits and occasionally a bit of bread/potato/pasta, but I don't know if I should really be trimming back on the protein and leaning more heavily on veggies, for instance? Wondering about heart health. My cholesterol is excellent, but I do eat across the spectrum of beef/pork/chicken/some fish, and am concerned about the effect of such a diet - do I still need all that protein? I'm also somewhat concerned about the effect on my non-GBP husband (who also has excellent cholesterol, btw). He eats the carbs I don't, but he also eats/enjoys the meats. Thanks, friends!!

Edited by ridgetop01
clarification

Google " Protein calculator". There are a bunch of sites where you can calculate protein need. The total amount of protein depends on age, sex, weight, level of activity and if you want to gain muscle or lose fat. Try a couple of different calculators because the results seem to vary a lot.

My goal for life is not to drop below 60g protein/day - most days (with the help of a protein shake) I average 80g.

Major issue with "protein calculators" is that they differ wildly.  Three sites gave me:  45g, 93g and 180g

I was thinking that very question these past few days. thank you for asking it.

From what I've been told you would need massive amounts of protein daily to cause harm.  When I asked my NUT she said getting 100g a day is not harmful for me.  I usually average between 80 and 100 each day.

That answered a question I had so thanks.