Me and my wife both had a VGS last year.  Her's was in August and mine was in September.  We are both doing great, however we are getting tired of the same foods.  We had to move away from our surgeon for other health reasons, and unable to find a facility that we like here in SLC.   My question is what are the types of food everybody is eating.  We saw the dietitian at our 4 month follow up, and were just starting to eat solid protein such as steak, and ham.  However we are not entirely sure what we can/should be eating at this point.  Our typical day is as follows (keep in mind that there is almost no variation to this).

Breakfast - Premier Protein shake

Lunch - 2 oz of Ham or Chicken, 2 oz of Low fat cheese, 1 oz of Nuts such as Almonds or cashews

Dinner - 1 1/2-2 oz of Steak,  2 oz of Cheese, and 1 oz of nuts.

As you can see the food repetition is getting old.  I know we eat for fuel and not taste, however when there is no variation, the cravings are starting to happen.  We occasionally have a meat stick as a snack (much better than a candy bar).

Thanks for any input.

You can quite literally eat anything.  Seriously.  The sky is the limit.  Today I had:

Breakfast:  1/2 a breakfast burrito -    now today I did eat the tortilla it came in.  Usually I only eat (and promote) eating just the filling but today I just decided to eat it as it were.

Lunch:  spinach salad with cheese, ground turkey, carrots and calorie free dressing

Dinner: 1/2 c cauliflower gouda casserole and 3oz of chicken

With the exception of staying away from (or heavily limiting) starchy carbs, sweets, goodies, desserts and other normal 'bad' stuff....  there really is just so much!  So much I don't even know what to list.  We have a recipe forum here on the boards you can check out (the cauliflower gouda casserole I mentioned can be found there) full of ideas.  Pintrest is another.

What did you used to eat prior to surgery?   Pasta?  You can still make those same dishes minus the pasta -  eat the sauce, meat and cheese or sub a veggie or something else for the "noodle".  Pizza?  You can make pizza crusts out of cheese and egg or cauliflower and egg or use low carb tortillas or just eat the 'toppings' of a pizza which is where all the flavor comes from anyway.  Burgers?  I order them all the time....without bun....whala.  Tacos?  I make tacos 2-3x a month - my BF eats them in shells and I eat it as a salad.  Chinese?  I cook and go out for chinese and I just eat everything but the rice.  Mexican?  Make it and go out for it often...  taco salads are always easy and carb free.  I will eat quesadillas but often I order chicken dishes that is basically all meat and ignore the rice and beans  (beans are good carbs I just don't like refried beans).

I often use Pintrest as a source of inspiration.  I want to make chicken - I go search for a chicken recipe and find one that looks good.  Like spinach and ricotta stuffed chicken thighs.  Or marscapone herb stuffed breasts.  Or chorizo chicken pasta bake (BF eats it as is, I just eat everything but the pasta).  Or chicken broccoli quinoa casserole.  Or whole crockpot chicken and veggies.  Or Tandoori chicken.  Or ground chicken avacado burgers.

Turkey ricotta meatballs I make often with a spicy marinara (BF eats it with pasta, I just eat the meatballs and a side of veggie).  Spicy pork stuffed acorn squash I make often.  Ricotta low carb pancakes on occasion -  recently found a no carb waffle recipe (but haven't tried it yet).  Mini egg quiches made in mini muffin tins.  Mini turkey meatloafs (pizza flavored, caprese flavored etc).  Various different salads; non of which have pasta or rice in them.  Garlic cheese pork chops.   Fish and shrimp..... I just made a spicy shrimp and quinoa casserole just this week.   I eat lunchmeats n cheese or cheese n 'crackers' (cucumber slices), greek yogurt and smoothies, spoonful of peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, edamame, veggies with a cottage cheese/daves red hot dip, BLT mix spread on tomatoes instead of toast, I make icream out of my protein shakes, homemade soups and stews, chili, aundouille sausage burrito filling, chia pudding, pork and cabbage casserole that tastes just like eggroll guts, polish, bacon.....  the list goes on and on and on and on.

Well, to start with you need to add some veggies! 75 percent protein, 25 % veggies is a good way to start. I like broiled peppers and onions (I buy the frozen bags of them then broil them), roasted brussel sprouts, and salad type veggies. 

Some meal ideas:

Chicken breast with broiled peppers and onions, sprinkle of cheese, spoonful of light sour cream. 

Chicken (marinated in favorite marinade and cooked in the crock pot) with roasted brussel sprouts. 

Deli roast beef with melted cheese and some olives and tomatoes

Salad with cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, some peanuts, some tuna, and dressing of choice. 

A nice steak grilled, served with veggie of choice. 

Pulled pork and some baked beans. 

Lettuce wraps with deli meat and cheese

Scrambled eggs with some cheese and spinach and tomatoes

You get the idea!

Tuna is a staple in my diet. 8 oz tuna, 1 egg, 1 tbsp hot sauce, 1 tbsp minced onion, 1 tbsp oatmeal. Mix together and make into patties. Grill 'em up (George Forman grill works the best for me), top with a slice of cheese if desired, and enjoy! Makes about 4 burgers which is two meals for me. Or I make a quick and easy tuna salad - 1 pouch Starkist Tuna Creations Ranch flavored tuna, 30 grams light mayo (yes I weigh that out), and some chopped up pickles. Nom.

It would take me a week to eat this much!

On March 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM, tmcgee said:

It would take me a week to eat this much!

I think we were listing various options, not a day's worth of food. I listed way more than one day's worth! Just some of the variety I have had. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I think we were listing various options, not a day's worth of food. I listed way more than one day's worth! Just some of the variety I have had. 

I know. Just sayin'. Some of us can eat considerably more than others. I wish I were one of them sometimes, but can't even dream of going back to what it was like b4 WLS.