savannah91

"Liver shrinking diet"

I start my all liquid and lean meat 1x a diet next Tuesday. I am beyond nervous. The protein drink the surgeon requires us to drink is Optifast which I find all flavors of it absolutely disgusting! I have to do this for only 2 weeks but I have a feeling I am going to dread drinking that awful stuff. There are many other protein drinks I don't mind at all but this one literally makes me gag. I know it isn't going to be easy and this will definitely test my will power. Anyways, how bad is the diet? In my head I think I will be starving. Does it get easier after a couple days? Luckily I can eat 3oz of lean meats a day but thats all. 

Please tell me the 2 week diet isn't as horrible as it sounds :)

I'm done complaining now. 

If the protein is making you gag now you may want to see if they will allow you a substitute. I know all plans are different but my surgeon allowed premier protein and it was pretty decent preop and post op. As for the liquid diet its tough I wont lie especially the 1st 4 days or so. After that it was pretty manageable for me but there were stil moments I had to reel myself in and remind myself WHY I was doing this. And it does help prepare you for the changes to come.  Hang in there and best of luck to you!!

I'm not familiar with Optifast but there can be ways to mix shakes to make them better.  For example, blend with ice, use milk not water, etc.  But all else fails, talk with your program about options like Funder suggested.  I'm sure they have some alternatives.

The pre-op diet is hard but it gets a little better every day.  The key for me was keeping my focus on why I was doing it and remember that life was about to get so much better.

I started the diet on Tuesday. So far I have lost 7lbs! Its isn't as bad as I originally thought it would be. I am at work all day and keep myself busy. This weekend will be a totally different story but I will just clean, clean, clean to keep myself busy.

And as for the Optifast it is drinkable. I don't love the taste of it but it doesn't make me gag. :)

Savannah - the pre-op liquid diet is not easy but it sounds as if your head is in the right place - kudos to you for that.  Just 12 more days to go - you've got this!

Less than a week away!

2 hours ago, savannah91 said:

Less than a week away!

You're doing a great job Savannah.  Can't wait to hear how much weight you've lost come your surgery on the 22nd.

:wub:. Well I haven't Did my liquid diet yet but I have to do 3 weeks :-( I am dreading it too. I see everybody hating the two weeks so I am like what about three? Lol but we can do this. :D

4 hours ago, MimiJ318 said:

:wub:. Well I haven't Did my liquid diet yet but I have to do 3 weeks :-( I am dreading it too. I see everybody hating the two weeks so I am like what about three? Lol but we can do this. :D

Get to day 4. That's when it gets easier. Don't cheat and add in carbs, or you just prolong your own suffering. Once you're in ketosis, you just keep going.

I found it quite easy as I had never been a regular eater hence my Bing eating in the wrong foods at the end of the day! I feel like I am always eating which is weird and I am on Optifast also and hated it to begin with but it is tolerable! I have my surgery tomorrow and would love to know how you have gone with your surgery today? All the best! I know I am wetting my pants arm!

3 hours ago, Gracious Georgie said:

I have my surgery tomorrow and would love to know how you have gone with your surgery today? All the best! I know I am wetting my pants arm!

Good luck tomorrow Gracious Georgie. I was so terrified when I had my initial surgery over 30 years ago that I actually tried to leave the hospital. :D

Believe me, they are used to nervous patients.

Edited by Aussie H
Spelling