soummer

Hate greek yogurt

This isn't really a recipe, but it helps!  I love yogurt, but the texture of greek yogurt makes me want to run and hide.  I have found that mixing it half and half with regular gives me the texture I like, and adding frozen fruit, allowing it to thaw and get soft and juicy, covers the sourness of plain gurt.  

If you hate greek yogurt, too, how have you made it palatable?

Have you tried putting a little skim milk into your greek yoghurt to make it more runny?

Have you tried blending it with a stick mixer? 

What brand of Greek have you tried.  Brands like Fage plain are very think and I could see being an acquired taste.  However, brands like Dannon Greek Light and Fit are not as thick and appeal to more folks.  Just a suggestion.

I just had to try several brands and flavors to come up with ones that I love.  Some are too chalky textured for me; flavor was ok but couldn't do the texture.  Everyone has their own favorites; mine are Dannon Fit and Light Greek Toasted Coconut Vanilla and I often toss in some fresh blueberries and/or chia seeds.  I loved the Caramel Apple with some chopped walnuts thrown in but it was a seasonal offering.  For an extra treat sometimes I'll mix in some sugar free cool whip which elevates it to a decadent dessert.  So many choices on the market, I'm sure you'll find a combination that appeals to you :)

Dannon light and fit Greek raspberry.

I eat 2 or 3 of them a day. I sometimes defrost some frozen raspberries to make it even more yummy.

43 minutes ago, Spunkycat said:

I eat 2 or 3 of them a day. I sometimes defrost some frozen raspberries to make it even more yummy.

And how long do you keep a Greek yogurt in the freezer to get it the right consistency before adding Reddi Whip?

hi  Wendy.

I leave my yogurt in the freezer for about 1 hour.

you will have to  experiment a little to get it how you like it.

There are variables such as, freezer temp and even where you put the yogurt in the freezer.

I started out by freezing the individual cups until they were frozen solid and then defrosted  them slowly.

The texture and the flavor changed in  the defrosted ones

I then add some reddi whip and a few berries.

Try it. the reddi whip does add some calories, but in the end I feel satisfied and I don't eat things that are unhealthy.

best...

3 hours ago, Spunkycat said:

Shameless raspberry light and fit plug. They really are going to have to start paying you. Lol ;)

21 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I loved the Caramel Apple with some chopped walnuts thrown in but it was a seasonal offering.  

This is a great idea - I'm going to try it. Thanks!

On 2/21/2016 at 6:06 AM, soummer said:

This isn't really a recipe, but it helps!  I love yogurt, but the texture of greek yogurt makes me want to run and hide.  I have found that mixing it half and half with regular gives me the texture I like, and adding frozen fruit, allowing it to thaw and get soft and juicy, covers the sourness of plain gurt.  

If you hate greek yogurt, too, how have you made it palatable?

Thanks for the idea! I thought I was the only one that couldn't stomach the stuff, do you blend it? or just mix in the fruits

Hi Punk!  I use equal measures of 0 fat plain greek, 0 fat yummy flavored light regular yogurt (no aspartame) and whatever frozen fruit i am in the mood for.  I do stir it up, let it sit while i get ready otherwise, and when i come back, its still cold but the fruit has thawed and gotten nice and juicy.  Stir it again and eat :)

What is neat, to me, is I have discovered that doing this REALLY thins it out, and changes that yuck texture, enough that i think i will buy light flavored greek instead of regular next time, and see if that doesn't work, too.  it would be awesome to increase the protein like that!

4 hours ago, soummer said:

Hi Punk!  I use equal measures of 0 fat plain greek, 0 fat yummy flavored light regular yogurt (no aspartame) and whatever frozen fruit i am in the mood for.  I do stir it up, let it sit while i get ready otherwise, and when i come back, its still cold but the fruit has thawed and gotten nice and juicy.  Stir it again and eat :)

What is neat, to me, is I have discovered that doing this REALLY thins it out, and changes that yuck texture, enough that i think i will buy light flavored greek instead of regular next time, and see if that doesn't work, too.  it would be awesome to increase the protein like that!

Thank you Soummer! I am going to try it, that greek yogurt is still sitting in my fridge looking at me...^_^

2 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

Thank you Soummer! I am going to try it, that greek yogurt is still sitting in my fridge looking at me...^_^

I know what you mean.  I've loved yogurt since the first time I tried it.  When greek became all the rage, i fully expected to love Love LOVE it!  

UGH!  I wanted to spit it out!

Think I did, actually ;)

6 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

hahaha! ya, you're right! I think they "Paid" people to say it was great! I actually read that somebody used onion soup mix with it and said it would taste like a dip,, I think they're really mistaken, I tried it and it still had that bitter chalky taste :wacko::blink:

6 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

hahaha! ya, you're right! I think they "Paid" people to say it was great! I actually read that somebody used onion soup mix with it and said it would taste like a dip,, I think they're really mistaken, I tried it and it still had that bitter chalky taste :wacko::blink:

Not all Greek yoghurt tastes the same, so if you do not like the taste of one brand, keep trying other brands of Greek yoghurt until you find one that you like.  Also, the flavored Greek yoghurt tastes much better than the plain Greek yoghurt.. It really is worth finding a brand and flavor that you like, as it is a wonderful source of protein and of a quick meal/snack on the go.

Have you tried the Yoplait Greek Yogurt Whips? They're a bit high in sugar but don't have the texture of typical greek yogurt.

I don't like the taste of any yoghurt, so I just don't eat it

4 hours ago, MaggienScout said:

I don't like the taste of any yoghurt, so I just don't eat it

that sounds like a better plan! ^_^

7 hours ago, teacherlauren said:

Have you tried the Yoplait Greek Yogurt Whips? They're a bit high in sugar but don't have the texture of typical greek yogurt.

I will try them! I dont mind the sugar content only because I cant eat any more than 2 or 3 teaspoons..:P

I like mixing in a little sugar free pudding powder with some berries or nuts. It makes a great treat or snack, you could try freezing it too!

Thank you Cporter1! I will give that a try, it sounds really good.

I like Dannon light and fit.  It's the only one I can stand.  Right now I'm into the Carmel macchiato with apples dipped in it.  Coconut is good with apples too.  Strawberry or vanilla on a custard cup of strawberries.  Vanilla on raspberries or blueberries.  Sumer treat.  

Most greek yogurts are gross!!

Dannon light and fit Greek. 

I put a cup of that yogurt(rasberry) in the freezer for about an hour. It comes out semi frozen. Top with some berries and a dab of reddi whip. Yum.