Confession time-

I am 7 months post op and yesterday (and down 114 lbs, woo hoo) I had a very stressful day at work. All I wanted was a Diet Coke so I decided to just get one and take a sip to see what happened.  Well... I took a sip and was fine, so I had another and another. I ended up drinking about 3/4 of a can in an hour and a half and felt fine. Can someone tell me exactky why we can't have carbonated beverages after surgery? I miss carbonation more than anything.

I was told its because it can create excess gas and nausea when you are post op, which can increase complications. You are 7 months out, so if you are tolerating it, I dont see it being a major issue

Many are able to tolerate carbonation after WLS, especially if you drink it slow enough.  But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

We're usually advised not to drink it as carbonated drinks take up more space in our small stomachs easily resulting in distress.  For me though that is not enough of a reason.  Luckily, soda, especially diet soda is so incredibly bad for you that the innate lack of anything redeeming nutritionally about soda is the only real reason we need to never drink it again.  There is a well researched and documented lo]ink between diet soda and obesity, after all this work I refuse to put something in my body that correlates so strongly with being obese.  This is the most important thing to consider in my experience.  Do you really want something so strongly linked to obesity to be in your stomach?  If you really must have carbonation there are better options, but I'd avoid it all together.

Please stop while you're ahead. I was just like you curious, then I learned that the drinks helped me belch, then before you know it is was back up to 330 pounds and here I am getting ready for revision surgery because I stretched my pouch. After my surgery, I will not do anything the doctor tells me not to do. 

Carbonated drinks don't bother me like it does with others here.  I will drink a small bottle (200mls) of Coke Zero over 3-4 days.  I don't drink coffee or tea

I am afraid of drinking carbonated beverages.  I stopped January of 2015 and have not had any since. I do at times see a diet coke and remember the taste...mmmm. But that is as far as I have let it go.  I figured it could alter my weightloss in the long run.