MottTheHoople

Pre-Op Diet Blues

Hello Everyone! I'm having surgery March 10th 2016, and I'm about four days into the liquid diet (my surgeon wants a 4 week mostly clear liquid diet only). Yesterday, on my 3rd day, I suddenly stopped being hungry, it was a crazy thing. BUT THEN I got super super dizzy, almost to the point of not being able to walk straight. I went home (I work nights) and made myself drink a ton of water and just kind of laid around all day and I'm feeling a lot better. But it really scared me and its making the whole process a lot harder. Anyone else experiencing the dizziness?

yep I did. I went from 2000 calories a day, to about 600.  IMO our bodies go into shock.  All I can suggest is keep up with the water.

How are you doing?  Keep it up, the light at the end is getting brighter!

Hey just checkin' in!

I am about 9 days from surgery, still on the liquid diet. It definitely gets much easier. The dizziness has ended thanks to ramping up my plain water intake. I've also dropped the broth after realizing it probably dramatically exceeded my sodium intake allowance. Anyone else on the liquid diet? Our support group here is pretty quiet!

On February 29, 2016 at 0:01 AM, MottTheHoople said:

Hey just checkin' in!

I am about 9 days from surgery, still on the liquid diet. It definitely gets much easier. The dizziness has ended thanks to ramping up my plain water intake. I've also dropped the broth after realizing it probably dramatically exceeded my sodium intake allowance. Anyone else on the liquid diet? Our support group here is pretty quiet!

Hey, how are things going for you? Everything go ok with the surgery? How goes the post-op diet? I am now 11 days post op and hating the liquid diet I'm on. Wondering what your post op diet schedule is? Hope you are well!

I am about 24 days out. I'm currently on purees, for another week or so and then I'll transition to soft foods. I'm doing ok, I have achy headaches quite often. I think because I'm not getting enough water or protein or something. I lost about 15lbs since surgery but havnt lost much, if at all, this last week. I guess that's the infamous three week stall.

How did your surgery go?

On 4/3/2016 at 9:46 PM, MottTheHoople said:

I am about 24 days out. I'm currently on purees, for another week or so and then I'll transition to soft foods. I'm doing ok, I have achy headaches quite often. I think because I'm not getting enough water or protein or something. I lost about 15lbs since surgery but havnt lost much, if at all, this last week. I guess that's the infamous three week stall.

How did your surgery go?

The surgery itself went well and I am feeling good now! 5 days after surgery they discovered I had fluid gathering in my left chest area and it caused my lung to become collapsed. It was a little (but serious) blip in the road and I am totally mended now. :)