Has anyone dealt with BCBSTX with the plan of RM26? Thats my husband's insurance and I read that they do not cover bariatric surgery, but I was wondering does anyone know if my surgeon's office calls and says it is medically necessary and I have done everything, but the blood work (recent) and the EDG, do you think it would be approved? I am so frustrated!!! I have been trying to have this surgery for almost 6 years now... Dr. Callery, do you have an answer for me?

You can try, but with a specific exclusion on your policy, don't get your hopes up.

If surgery is the right answer for you and you can't afford it here, you could consider going to Mexico. There are excellent surgeons all over the world, but you'll have to do extra research to look past the marketing of the various practices. I hear mentions of practices in Tijuana, but there may be something across the eastern edge of the border that would be drivable from Houston.

have you called them? i have BCBSTX, and i was covered. it might be because of your husband's employer and what they elect and don't elect to cover.

i agree with wendy. check out mexico. i've heard a ton of people on this board have great success with it - the follow up is a pain because you have to find someone stateside. but. there's that.

I see I am like 2 years late with this, but thank you for the replies. I did end up having my surgery on December 19, 2017. I appreciate all the help!!