JessinVT

Returning to Work- how long did you wait?

I have a desk-job, how long did it take you to feel like you could return to work? I'm playing with the idea of going back half-time for a week.

I work from home and thus a desk job and I could have easily went back after one week.  But I had taken 2 weeks off so I just kept it off.

Had I worked in the office, even with a desk job, I think I would have wanted that full 2 weeks.   But still 2 weeks was plenty, for me.

Desk job for me too.  My doc wouldn't let me go back for 3 weeks.  I was glad, I needed the time to rest.

Because my hiatal hernia repair my surgeon recommended three weeks, so that's what I took. I could have managed going back at two, but having the third week allowed me to return with full energy.

My surgeon wanted two weeks (I have a desk/office job), so I gladly took it.  What I found nice about it was that it gave me time to focus on building routines around getting food and liquids in, starting to get some walks in, etc.  I asked for a third week off (purely because I was enjoying the vacation!) but they said no :(  Killjoys.

I didn't really have the fatigue that seems to hit a lot of folks, so if I HAD to go back before that, it would have been okay.  But it was nice to just take it easy and have some down time.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday morning, and I went back to work on Thursday (IT work, desk jockey). Not touting it as an achievement, I just didn't feel like I needed any more time off. If you have a desk job, there's little difference in sitting at home and being at work. In fact, it's probably better for you to be at your desk using your core muscles throughout the day to expedite healing. Save you PTO for a nice vacation a few months after your surgery.

The surgery doesn't really cause mobility issues. That said, I was one of the people had a great doctor, and small incisions sealed only with surgical glue. Also, no drains, staples or anything. I was all sealed up and good to go.

I went back to work on day 8.  I work in finance, desk job.  I'm 61.  The first few weeks all I did was go to work, come home eat dinner, clean the kitchen and went to bed.  It was not ideal but I got through it.  I get up at 6, so I was in bed before 8, some days by 7.  And I rested a lot on the weekends.  I didn't tell anyone at work and no one could tell anything was any different.  if you have the ability to work part time for a week, do it, just make sure you rest when you're not working!

Edited by Kooky

I have an active job with children. I have a 3 week break from the end of the school year till summer session. I will have all 3 weeks to recover. I hope it's enough! 

I work on my feet for 8hrs a day. I went back at 2wks. I took a 2 week vacation so i wouldn't have to go through all the paper work of medical leave.  I was sick after surgery, high BP, low heart rate, couldn't keep anything in my stomach. I'm tough and have had other surgeries  (c-section, gallbladder) and have never had trouble post-op so i thought I'd go home after 23hrs. I was in the hospital 3days but came home feeling great. My point is, even though i had a little bump in the road i still was able to go back to work on day 13.

I'm a vet tech, on my feet all day, bending, squatting, kneeling, lifting.  10 - 12 hour days.  I wanted to take two weeks, but we got busy so I went back after 7 days.  I was on liquids for 3 weeks so I had to make sure I had something to drink in between every appointment.  I think it was doable because I went back to work on a Thursday, so I only had to work 2 days then got a 2 day break before going back to the usual 50-60 hour week.

One week off and one week working from home.  I had my surgery on 8/29, and I will be going back to work in the office on 9/12.  I had vertical sleeve surgery and hernia repair (which they said wasn't suppose to be as bad as it was) completed.  My surgeon advised that most people can go back to work within two weeks time depending on how healthy they are.  With me he said I should be good in two weeks.  I don't think I'm going back to soon or am I?

I am a nurse and I've taken 3 weeks leave so that I can get through the fluids stage at home. My surgeon recommended at least 2 weeks so that I'm not exposed to infections in the course of my work. Mind you, I don't mind the rest either.

I took 1 week off, Im a hairstylist and I make my own schedule so I took a client a day during the second week and was back to my regular schedule week 3.

I work in a correcrional facility with juveniles, and I have the worst of the worst. So my doctore recommended a month. Good luck to all!

I went back to work at day 4 - I felt good so I went.

But I was drinking 64 ounces of water immediately - never had a problem getting my water or protein.