Mystikle

Blue Shield of California (Covered California) VSG APPROVED!

For anyone looking to get bariatric surgery and researching health insurance options through the California health insurance exchange (Covered California) I can highly recommend Blue Shield of California.

I was approved last week for my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure and here was my process:

October 14, 2015 - Attended group information session with surgeon and turned in application for surgery.

November 9, 2015 - Had appointment with surgeon for individual consultation and was told that I qualified for bariatric surgery.  I am 5'9" and weighed 375lbs (BMI = 55.4) at the time of my consultation. I was given a list of items to complete even though Blue Shield does not necessarily require them (i.e. psychiatric evaluation, dietary evaluation with nutritionist, as well as attending several group presentations covering nutrition post-op and what to expect day-to-day after surgery from people who've had the surgery).  I completed all of these additional requirements before my next appointment in January.

January 8, 2016 - Met with the surgeon and he signed off that I had completed all of his office's requirements and allowed my file to be submitted for approval to the insurance company.

January 28, 2016 - My file was submitted to Blue Shield of California for their approval.

February 4, 2016 - Blue Shield of California approved me for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Note:  I did not have to wait 6 months nor did I have to submit 6 months medically supervised weight loss in order to be approved.

My surgery is now scheduled for 2/29/16! Yay!

Welcome as you start this journey to a healthier you.

Welcome to Thinner Times and congratulations on your surgery later this month.

Welcome and congratulations! How cool that your surgery is scheduled for Leap day.

Great news on the relatively speedy insurance approval! Get ready to join us on the losers bench.