J-wri

I'm new to this form hello

Hi my name is J and I am a post opp patient of Gastro Bypass surgery.  My Surgeon is Dr C.  From Hahnemann Hospital.  I was blessed to come out of surgery on Nov 9, 2015.  My journey started on 7/6/15 330.  On 10/30/15 319, on 11/9/15 319.  11/25 298 out of the 300 blessed.  Last weighin 12/16/15 289.  

I am having such a hard time with my protein shakes.  I was doing great for the first month.  Then my stomach started rejecting everything.  I'm down to taking my vitamins.  And eating Proten Cheerios three times a times.  I can eat yougurt.  Only lite in fit.  No Greek it makes my sick.  I can eat crackers. Campbell chicken noodle soup but only a couple of bites.  I can eat jello. But that's starting to leave an after taste.  I can eat mach potatoes a couple of bits.  And I'm highly upset that chicken make ls me vomit also.  I've tried so many different protein powders drinks and I haven't found anything that doesn't make me vomit.  I'm a little bummed about it.  My doctor and nutrituonalist said I have to wait it out and keep trying different products.  I'm frustrated.  Any suggestions would be so helpful.  Thanks for reading.  I know it could be worse.  And I'm blessed but I'm so damn hurgrey. :)  :(   

I'm almost three years out, and sometimes I can eat something one day, and not the next. I would NOT go back to where I was, but this journey is very difficult. Almost all of us will tell you that. Stay with it, and enjoy the results!

Tmcgee. Thanks for responsing.  I will and I am enjoying the results.  I just miss being consistent with my meals.  It's just a little frustrating.  But I'm in it for the long run.  That's why I went with the Gastro Bypass option.  I just wasn't expecting this that's all.  Thanks again for your response.  

Hi J. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. You mentioned trying several different protein shakes. Did you try several different types  or just several different brands? If everything has been whey/milk based, try soy. If you've tried both of those, try egg. If all of the above, try a vegetable based protein like hemp. 

As for the foods, if you can tolerate it, try mixing unflavored protein powder into things like the cereal and potatoes. Danon light and fit has a Greek yogurt line. Maybe that could work.

Hang in there.

Thank you for your suggestions Wendy H.

I just picked up Fit N Light Greek yogurt.  I'be tried eggs and I still can't tolerate them.  I haven't tried beaters though.  So I'll try that.  As far as protein shakes.  Yes I was trying different brands of whey, and this horrible fruit powder.  So I will look into the hemp and just keep going until I find a product my stomach can tolerate.   So thanks again for responding.  And I wish you continued success in your health journey.

Thanks, and to clarify, I wasn't talking about eating eggs. There are egg-based protein powders. I know Jay Robb makes them, and I assume there are other brands too.

Try Carnation Breakfast Essentials No-Sugar added (the blue box) and mix it with cold skim milk.  The product is available in supermarkets and the chocolate flavor is quite good.  This was my protein shake type product for the first four months or so after my gastric bypass, I lost a lot of weight, and my pouch loved it.

The first few months after surgery can be the toughest ones - it will get better, you will lose a lot of weight and you will feel so much better once you lose this weight!

Remember to drink lots of liquids, eat lots of lean protein, take your vitamins, and get some exercise (I like walking but some folks prefer to go to a gym).

By the way, your goal weight seems a bit high for your height - so when you get to 160 pounds you may want to lose some more.

Hi J and welcome - some of my favorite go to foods during the early post op period were - tuna and egg salad, deviled eggs. I also loved to eat a ricotta cheese bake that is similar to lasagna with no noodles.

keep up the great work, you are doing great

Welcome J and we all have out issues with foods not making us feel well. i am 6 weeks post op and still learning lots and lots every day. i have food stufs that i cant eat at all yet and sometimes its a day by day thing. i have tried the carnation breakfast shake stuff and it was really good. i also drink body fortress as my protein drink and i have never had any issue with it at all. just keep on keeping on. we are all behind you.

Hi J,

Welcome! 

I got to the same point as you 

With the shakes. I found some shakes called premier protein, they come in cartons, 30g of protein! I drink one in the morning and one at night! You can find them at Wal-Mart and Walgreens. You definitely need to get your protein in to prevent hair loss and other deficiencies! Hang in there and get that protein in!!

I am feeling just like you right now. Its so frustrating to not be able to eat or drink something that you just had the day before that was just fine for my tummy. I cannot do any of the thicker protein shakes. My friend, 10 months post op, said she can't either and told me to try this kind... Cocoa Libre protein, they are a coconut drink that has 20 gram per container. I just found out about them so I will be out shopping for it this week. I hope we can all find something that sits well with our tummy cause this is so frustrating. 

I had trouble with eggs for at least a year, and maybe two years. I can eat them now, but they have to be wet. Typically. I will use ketchup and hot sauce to make them wet. I can also usually eat the insides of a Burger King bacon, egg, and cheese muffin or egg mcmuffin, but those choices are quite rare.

Edited by tmcgee

1 hour ago, Jennifer317 said:

You definitely need to get your protein in to prevent hair loss and other deficiencies! Hang in there and get that protein in!!

Agreed that you need to get your protein in, but many people who get enough protein still lose hair. Don't blame yourself if it happens to you despite getting in enough protein.

I haven't really eaten eggs since menopause - but I see that there are egg whites I can try when I get to that level. I am using EAS protein and rather than two scoops at one time, I use one scoop twice a day.  It's thinner and easier on my pouch. You might want to do the 5 day pouch reset and then add one item at a time.  I have some SF pudding to finish and even though I can have up to 4 ounces I'm still eating about 2 to 2.5 ounces.  Hope you are doing better.

On January 26, 2016 at 11:48 PM, J-wri said:

Thank you for your suggestions Wendy H.

I just picked up Fit N Light Greek yogurt.  I'be tried eggs and I still can't tolerate them.  I haven't tried beaters though.  So I'll try that.  As far as protein shakes.  Yes I was trying different brands of whey, and this horrible fruit powder.  So I will look into the hemp and just keep going until I find a product my stomach can tolerate.   So thanks again for responding.  And I wish you continued success in your health journey.

It took me a couple of years to handle eggs, and sometimes they are still difficult. Hard and soft boiled are easier to go down (and stay down) than other preparation methods.