bigjohnson74

Sleeve/Gallbladder removal same time

Hello from MN everyone. Glad I found this site. I was a big time lurker  on here for awhile and now it has gotten real for me. My surgery will be in FEB and I was told my surgeon will remove my gallbladder when he does my sleeve. He also has to biopsy a 5cm benign cyst on left lobe of my liver.  This is my first time for surgery of any kind and being under. I am wondering if anyone out there in Thinner Times has had their gallbladder removed the same time and does it add a lot more pain/recovery time? Call me a wuss but I am afraid of waking up in horror movie pain.  I have 2 weeks out of work and that is all I can do. I am a sales account manager (desk job). I am getting nervous but need to do this for a better life. Thank you for your time. Joshua

Hi Joshua!

First congrats on the surgery! I was sleeved on 12/23/15, I can remember being very nervous and worrying about pain as well.

Everybody is different and each Medical Care team might do things slightly different, but rest assured; modern medicine will do its best to keep you comfortable.

There are medicines to help you relax before and immeadiatly after, aid in prevention of nausea, and help with pain.

I'm leaving out plenty of other meds, but one of the most important things you can do is to communicate how you are feeling to your care team to keep ahead of discomfort.

Welcome to Thinner Times Joshua!

It's not unusual for people to have their gallbladder out at one and the same time as their WLS.  And I wish I'd known that when I had my WLS because my gallbladder started acting up pretty much from the day of my RNY surgery.  Stupid me, I hung it out for months before I had my gallbladder removed. 

Hi,  I had my gall bladder out at the same time I was sleeved as well as having my hiatal hernia repaired.  I felt like I had been kicked by a horse.  Pretty uncomfortable but not a lot of pain.  I went home with several days worth of oxy but didn't need any of it, Tylenol did the job for me.

Can't speak for all nursing staffs but the one I had kept a close eye on me and did all they could to keep me comfortable. You want to get up and walk as soon as possible to help the gas they have pumped into you to get out.  That gas can make one quite uncomfortable.

I was able to drive as soon as I was off the pain medicine.  Which in my case meant as soon as I got home.  Probably didn't drive for a few days because I didn't have to drive anywhere.  Energy will be a bigger issue for going back to work.  I seem to recall it took about three weeks for it to start coming back.

The surgery was not the most fun I have ever had but it wasn't too bad.  It has improved my life. 

Good luck

Like bcd, I had sleeve, gallbladder, and hiatal hernia done at the same time. The excess discomfort is from the hernia repair. In my experience, the gallbladder surgery doesn't really increase the surgical trauma beyond what the VSG delivers.

I did not have my gall bladder out but the RNY was a piece of cake.  I'd been terrified of the pain.  I remember getting to my room and having to get up and walk about an hour later.  I went in to work on day 6 to do paperwork (you can drive as long as you aren't taking pain meds). And returned full time day 9 to a job where I was on my feet all day.  Put on a Super bowl party on day11.  

Btw: there's a group of us from thinner times in the twin cities area who meet once a month for supper if you are ever interested.

Lois 

Hello fellow Minnesotan!

You won't be able to differentiate between the gallbladder and sleeve and it won't add any additional discomfort then what you will already experience.

I had my gallbladder removal and RNY done at the same time 9 days ago. Unlike most people I've talked to, I did have quite a bit of pain but it seems like I was an exception to the rule. It wasn't unbearable, but I did take a little longer to get up and moving than most and I had some difficulty being able to take a deep breath, etc. My doctor ended up switching me to a stronger pain med during my hospital stay to keep me more comfortable, which worked well. I'm on day 9 and only have slight discomfort now on my right side. I'm not sure how much the gallbladder removal affected the pain level... I might just be more sensitive in general. I'm weaning off the pain medicine now, and I think I'll be fine to return to work Monday, which will be the two week mark for me. Good luck.. you'll be fine!

Hi Joshua! Your surgery is scheduled the day before mine, so good luck to us! Obviously I didn't have both surgeries at the same time but I did have my gallbladder out a few years ago and I went to work at my desk job the very next day. I had very minimal pain.

Thank you all for the replies. All your information is very helpful. I am glad I found this site and it has helped me and this journey I am embarking on. God bless you all!

Thanks for posting this question because my surgery is Tuesday Jan 26 and on Friday Jan 8 my team realized I hadn't had the GB ultrasound (had it on 1/11) and given a history of GB problems (canned tuna fish, scrapple, chorizos all make me miserable so I don't eat any of those anymore), the decision was made to take out my GB at the same time of my R-Y sugery. so I'll have one more small scar but that's ok because I don't want problems from leaving the GB in.