pre and post op advice for Breast lift/augmentation, tummy tuck, & lipo

EB17

Greetings!

Much like my VSG procedure, I am both excited and terrified for my upcoming plastic surgery. I feel like it will be the cherry on top of my 110 lbs.-lost sundae (thirty pounds below my surgron's estimated end weight). After deciding on a plastic surgeon I'm going to have a breast lift & augmentation (I was a 40H, now wear a 32 DD (mostly skin shoved in), and was told I'd be a B with just a lift. I want to be a C+\D- like when I was in shape in HS. Also I'm having a hip to hip tummy tuck, with lipo to eliminate a muffin top (plus some lipo on my stubborn saddle bags that haven't gone away with intense workouts). All in one, five-hour procedure & I'll be staying one night post op.

My question is: what advice do you have to make this procedure as seemless as possible. I have 3.5 & 7 y/o sons plus three large dogs, so I know I'll need to hire help for 3-4 weeks post op. That aside, did you continue hard core workouts up until surgery to strengthen your core? What supplies did you find most useful immediately after and a few weeks out (after tubes are removed)?

Thank you for your advice & guidance!

I did workout hard core before my procedures doing up to 200 squats per day, planking, and increased my protein to at least 100 g per day sometimes 120. I really think this made my recovery easier especially for getting up and down (hence the insane amount of squats daily). Wall sits are extremely helpfully too. A recliner is a must in my opinion and one that is either electric or has a handle and is easy to recline. A front close bra and button up tops/dresses are essential for the first couple of weeks. It is hard to prepare fully beforehand so a great support person that will go get the supplies that you need is nice. You have done great work and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your results. Best of luck :)

Wear the compression stockings religiously. Have a good post-op nurse keep an eye on your incisions. Mine didn't and I nearly bled out by the time they turned me over. Needed 4 units of blood...and more surgery later to fix it all. 

Wear the compression stockings religiously. Have a good post-op nurse keep an eye on your incisions. Mine didn't and I nearly bled out by the time they turned me over. Needed 4 units of blood...and more surgery later to fix it all. 

Yikes! Did you stay overnight at the hospital or the in house surgical suite? 

So excited for you! I had a lift with implants and a TT this time last year. I am thrilled with my results. I worked out the day before surgery.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Figure out how you are going to sleep before your surgery. I was told I need to sleep on my back with my upper body elevated. I needed to be somewhat bent at the waist. You don't want anything pulling on your TT incision. I have a big foam wedge like the ones used in physical therapy that I used to keep my top 1/2 propped up. Then, I put a couple of couch pillows under my legs to keep my hips at a 90 angle to my tush and my knees at another 90 degree angle to my hips. I'm a side sleeper so in this position I wasn't able to roll over. 

2. Make sure someone is with you for every step you take for the first couple of days. I was light headed and a little wobbly on my feet. The night of surgery, I got up to go to the bathroom. My husband was right there with me - which was good as I passed out. He caught me otherwise I would have tumbled into the tub. The next day when I went for my day 1 post op appt, I passed out a couple of times sitting in the dr's chair. He said its not uncommon as I'd just had a fairly big surgery. I'm not telling you this to scare you, just to let you know my experience. After the 2nd day, I was fine and no more fainting thank goodness. 

3. Follow your drs orders. Wear the support bra and binder or whatever they give you to use. Don't touch your breasts. If you have a SO they will probably be super psyched about your new breasts. Tell them, "think museum, look but don't touch". I'm convinced some augmentations don't turn out well because some women don't follow the rules. 

4. The drains became uncomfortable once I stopped taking the pain meds. I wore super comfy clothes that I could pin the drains too and didn't put any pressure on them. Sweats, big yoga pants, etc. 

If you want more info about anything else, (like how soon you can have sex) feel free to PM me.

Edited by Stephtay

I had an extended tummy tuck (pubic bone to breast bone and hip to hip) and implants. I stayed on night and took the pain meds, went home the next day to my 2nd floor walk up, was out to the grocery store and dinner by 1 week postop and back to work(as an RN) on day 13. I took tylenol and it wasnt bad. I had an 8 hr arm/leg/side/lower back lift that had complications on day 10, but was back to work by day 18. My last plastic surgery was a 2nd set of implants and some skin removal from my side, went back to work 48 hrs later.

Reaching for stuff was hard, but I was able to cook, shower by myself and get dressed without help right away. I slept on the couch on a wedge, with a pillow under my knees because it was more comfortable. I took arnica and Tylenol, because I didn't like the narcotic. All and all way easier than anticipated. The drains suck, oh and get a shower chair

• 2 weeks later...

So, insurance denied my claim for them to cover the Panniculectomy. I super bummed as this would have helped lower the cost, and I was planning on offsetting the childcare help with this savings. :( I had my PCP draft a very specific letter outlining rashes, prescriptions & OTC medications tried, affiliated pain & impact on physical and mental daily living. The denial was based on lack of detail & illegible notes - I think he just forwarded his scribbled notes to the surgron's insurance coordinatior. 

Anyhow, I'm trying to stay positive. The surgery date is one month from today! Did anyone else have insurance issues? Thankfully it was smooth sailing for my VSG (other than it taking *forever*!). Any tips?

If you can wait a bit, you can appeal the denial for the pannulectomy. Might be worth it to get the cost down.