intplmao

Expected recovery time after sleeve surgery?

I'm curious how long you took off work after the procedure, and did you use PTO or short term disability? How is the recovery time handled? Thanks!

I took two weeks, but would have been fine going back after a few days. My job is just walking though, most of the time.

Full recovery is usually 8 weeks.

Two weeks is the most common recommendation for time off, just in case you have issues.

You will probably be tired though, usually for at least a few weeks after--at least until you can start getting a decent amount of calories in.

Good luck!

depends on the person. i took 3 weeks, could have gone back to work after 2 (i have a desk job). i was tired for a good 6 weeks.

right. PTO. yes. i didn't have enough PTO to take the entire 3 weeks, so i didn't get paid for 1 1/2 weeks. also reasoning why i went back sooner. my poor bank account. i was out on FMLA though, so my job was protected.

Edited by TheColdestAugust

Depends on the person -  people feel and recovery differently.

My surgeon suggested taking 2 weeks off so that is what I took off.  I could have easily went back after just one though (desk job, work from home) but since I took 2 off I just kept it.  My company requires you take the first week as PTO and then anything else is covered under STD.

I would say take off at least 2 weeks if you can.  More time never hurts as everyone is different.  I was back at work in a couple days, but that's me and I work from home when not traveling and have a desk job.

I took three weeks, per my doctor's recommendation. He says usually two for VSG, but I also had a hiatal hernia repair and gallbladder removal. I felt good enough to be back in less than two weeks, but taking that third helped me to have more stamina when I did return.

I had a gastric bypass (which is more surgically complex than the sleeve) and was able to return to work part time (at an office job) six days after surgery.  I probably could have returned a couple of days even earlier, part time, if I had to do so.  I was back at work full time about two weeks after my surgery.  My biggest problem was not pain or complications, but a feeling of being tired - especially in the afternoons.

I took short term dbl and was out for 3 weeks (doctors orders).   I had band removal and VSG so a bit more surgery than others.  A coworker took vacation and personal time and was back in 1 week but couldn't make it through the workday.  She ended up leaving early for 3 or 4 days.  I'm glad I took the 3 weeks, I was ready to go back and then only had to work 5 days, then off again for 2 weeks because where I work closes down for the holidays.  

Every person is different but for me, the 3 weeks was needed.

I was out from work a total of 10 days. Surgery was on a Friday and I took that day and the following work week, so only 6 days PTO. Again, as previously stated, everyone will be different, I was fine (desk job) after that time and really wanted to get back to my normal routine.

I don't get PTO so I specifically scheduled surgery over Christmas.  Had surgery on a Friday and back to work the next Thursday, but with the weekend and holiday I only missed 3 work days.  I had a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks, so had to schedule appointments accordingly during that time.

I took 4 weeks because I wanted to be home for the food transition stages.

i also had a lifting restriction for 4 weeks which I  followed.

I had my surgery on a Weds and went back to work the following Weds. Honestly I could have gone back the following Mon. I felt totally fine after just a few days. 

I had the surgery on Tuesday and was back at my office job that Monday.. But I still had a drain in and was miserable. If I had the vacation time- 2 weeks would have been sufficient.

I had RNY so not exactly the same -- I am an RN but thankfully have an awesome job where I work out of my home -- awesome, right? So my surgery was on Tues 10/13, home from the hospital the night of 10/14 (they gave me the option to go home or stay one more day --- get me home!!) and i went back to work Monday 10/19.

Again, I do absolutely nothing physical at my job -- the most crazy thing I do is sit at a computer and type and answer the phone. My coworkers and manager are also awesome and let me know if I needed time throughout the day to take a nap or come in late or leave early, I could. But I never did. I was happy to be up and sitting and working -- laying on the couch watching bad TV got old *really* quickly. 

Had I been at my old clinic job where I did a fair amount of sitting but an equally fair amount of running around and patient care, I would have taken two weeks off---I was actually planning on doing that but 1) I was able to make a lateral move within my company for the home-based job 2 months before my surgery and 2) my surgical team was aware of my job and encouraged me to go back the next week. "You'll be fine! I swear!!!" was what the program coordinator (and RN) told me, and she was right. I was itching to get back to work and be somewhat active.

I also had no complications after surgery, and had no pain. There was some discomfort, and I only took 1 tylenol #3 (the meds I was sent home with) on my first night home just to help me sleep. I was actually amazed at how smooth the surgery and the "recovery" time afterwards was -- I've had outpatient back surgery that made me feel worse for longer than getting my guts rearranged did!