ThinCVT

What surgery DOESN'T do - a must read for newbies and veterans

Rivermom,

Why the cold feet? I can't wait to say i'm 24 hours out. I put this new life off long enough. Tired of being one of "those people" and all my back and joint pain. Not to mention sleep apnea, High blood pressure, pre-diabetic, and taking all those meds to keep myself from having heart decease. Stay the course, but talk to your surgeon if you have any misgivings. Best of luck...

53 minutes ago, Rivermom said:

My surgery is day after tomorrow. 2/21. Should I halt from doing this?

Why would you?

14 hours ago, Rivermom said:

My surgery is day after tomorrow. 2/21. Should I halt from doing this?

That is a decision only you can make. What I can tell you is this; I have not one single regret about having surgery.....zero.

The post was not meant to alarm folks going into surgery. Instead, it was meant to help improve their chances of long term success by alerting them to some of things that could impede it. I'd suggest also reading this article posted by another member to help put your decision into perspective:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/why-weight-loss-surgery-works-when-diets-dont.html?_r=0

Edited by Jabsie

Thanks for sharing this post.  It's important for an newbie like me to be reminded what WLS doesn't do.  

I'm really new here but reading posts like this one by ThinCVT are why I have chosen to join this forum and it really speaks so much to the genuine concerns I have about this surgery that I know is not a magic bullet but somehow people in my life assume that it will be.

A fantastically written article and a great one to keep in the back of the mind.  I'm pre-op and this has certainly encouraged me to keep these points in mind, especially as I often tend to struggle from things in my earlier years.  Thanks for sharing.

Really appreciate this too. I will take a look at the book cited earlier on. 

What a great article.  Thank you from a beginner in this process. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and I know that I have work to do before I have the surgery.  Luckily my surgery will be a couple of months out.

@ThinCVT

Oh, curse you, this seems to be even more relevant. Read the book too. 

Great Article, thanks for the share. 

Great article! Glad I read it.

4 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

Great article! Glad I read it.

I find myself guilty of not being focused enough on those good habits. Had too much in the way of garbage food in the house over Thanksgiving... and too easy to eat. I'm glad you read this and I checked because of the "new activity"!

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I find myself guilty of not being focused enough on those good habits. Had too much in the way of garbage food in the house over Thanksgiving... and too easy to eat. I'm glad you read this and I checked because of the "new activity"!

Yeah, I have to take inventory again and remind myself of my goals and what I was willing to give up before I made the decision to have the surgery. I can rationalize the heck out of anything and convince myself I've got it under control, but in reality it's too important to me to screw this up. So glad I found this forum. I think it is going to be very important for me to stay connected and not get complacent and take things for granted. I check for new activity too. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Yeah, I have to take inventory again and remind myself of my goals and what I was willing to give up before I made the decision to have the surgery. I can rationalize the heck out of anything and convince myself I've got it under control, but in reality it's too important to me to screw this up. So glad I found this forum. I think it is going to be very important for me to stay connected and not get complacent and take things for granted. I check for new activity too. :lol:

YES.  I have found that my long term success is based on large part on the following:

1.  Having "a new relationship with food" in which I try very hard not to use food as comfort or to eat out of boredom.  I still enjoy food, but I view it primarily as fuel for my body rather than a source of solace or joy.

2.  Weighing myself every morning and not tolerating any weight gain (even one pound) over my goal weight.  Many people come back to TTF years after their surgery and complain about a large regain of weight - I simply will not and can not allow this to happen to me.  Preventing weight gain requires commitment, vigilance and stubbornness, but it is totally worth it.

3.  Eating healthy foods that I enjoy in reasonable amounts, and avoiding both unhealthy food and healthy food that I do not enjoy.  In the long term a healthy diet is sustainable only if you find and consume foods that you like.  Also, occasional small amounts of unhealthy food is fine if they are part of a diet that is overall healthy.

4.  Enjoying the joys of being thin, healthy and more active - and remembering that no unhealthy food is so wonderful that it is worth losing being thin, healthy and more active.

5.  Drinking lots of no (or very low) calorie liquids every day - these liquids fill me up (which prevents me for getting hungry), avoids dehydration, and flushes toxins out of my body (which makes me feel healthy).

6.  Getting emotional support - which for me comes from signing on to TTF almost every day to be inspired, education and reminded of how wonderful my life is due to my gastric bypass.

6 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

YES.  I have found that my long term success is based on large part on the following:

1.  Having "a new relationship with food" in which I try very hard not to use food as comfort or to eat out of boredom.  I still enjoy food, but I view it primarily as fuel for my body rather than a source of solace or joy.

2.  Weighing myself every morning and not tolerating any weight gain (even one pound) over my goal weight.  Many people come back to TTF years after their surgery and complain about a large regain of weight - I simply will not and can not allow this to happen to me.  Preventing weight gain requires commitment, vigilance and stubbornness, but it is totally worth it.

3.  Eating healthy foods that I enjoy in reasonable amounts, and avoiding both unhealthy food and healthy food that I do not enjoy.  In the long term a healthy diet is sustainable only if you find and consume foods that you like.  Also, occasional small amounts of unhealthy food is fine if they are part of a diet that is overall healthy.

4.  Enjoying the joys of being thin, healthy and more active - and remembering that no unhealthy food is so wonderful that it is worth losing being thin, healthy and more active.

5.  Drinking lots of no (or very low) calorie liquids every day - these liquids fill me up (which prevents me for getting hungry), avoids dehydration, and flushes toxins out of my body (which makes me feel healthy).

6.  Getting emotional support - which for me comes from signing on to TTF almost every day to be inspired, education and reminded of how wonderful my life is due to my gastric bypass.

Thanks for sharing what works for you. Good stuff!

On 9/4/2016 at 10:36 PM, babykinz53 said:

Connie Stapleton is brilliant! She is the doctor who gave me my  psychological evaluation. She has a book called 

Eat It Up! The Complete Mind/Body/Spirit Guide to a Full Life After Weight Loss Surgery

that I have ordered.

This is currently free on Kindle app.