WednesdaysSun

Failed Gastric Sleeve. 3 Years Post Op..

Today I went to see my surgeon who did my sleeve for me and she says I have to talk to the therapist and nutritionist first before talking another surgery. I only went to see her because in my despair I couldn't think of what else to do. I feel as though if something as drastic as surgery didn't work for me what else can anyone do. I am only 18 lbs less than my original weight 3 years ago. The most I've ever lost was almost 30 lbs. I would come online and research failed gastric sleeves, everyone reassured me I was just losing it slow. No one loses this slow. I can't even say I eat a lot of fast food. I can eat a full plate of protein with ease. And I usually don't have time to eat all day so I have large helpings in the evenings.

I also feel frustrated because something is obviously wrong with me. I suffer from clinical depression and anxiety. I sometimes drink more now than I did before surgery. Nothing crazy but even that I drink vodka and diet coke. No sugary drinks. I'm pretty sure I have high blood pressure now. Even if I were the absolute worst patient and I know that I'm not, I should have lost a modest amount. My thyroid is fine last I checked a few months ago. Being this way has destroyed my self esteem and my life. I try diet and exercise in vain. I felt like she was making it clear that it was me and not the surgery. I'm sure she's right but it hardly seems fair that so many people did it and at least had temporary relief. 18 lbs in three years gaining and losing the same 10-15?? 

I am scheduled to do a barium swallow so she can look at my stomach and see if I need a revision. I don't want to switch to another type of weight loss surgery if it comes to that. If my sleeve is too big I'd be willing to redo it. Otherwise that's it.

The nurse practitioner says my case is unusual. That in their practice they may see one or two people per year who have not lost any weight like me. 

Why did I have to get the confirmation that I'm a biological freak of nature? I would suspect this when everyone says how easy it is to lose weight. I become maniacal about tracking things 

How do you cut out a chunk of your stomach and without even increasing your meals, remain the same weight?

So if you googled and landed on my page, I am a person who 100% failed at my weight loss surgery and now I have begun the very long process of trying to do something about it.

This nutritionist is going to make an appointment with me way later just to tell me to log my food which I already do. I am going to take the most meticulous notes I can so we can get to the point. Three years. The idea of waiting another day for legitimate help out of this prison of a body feels too much to bear.  I'm going to turn thirty looking like this and single because of it.

Thank you for reading my rant...

Edited by WednesdaysSun

I think your surgeon was right on target in referring you to therapy. Step back and read your post as if you didn't know yourself. You mentioned several things that a therapist can help you with (depression and behavior modification being the stand-outs). Doing the imaging is a great idea too. Your surgeon will be able to assess if you have any structural issues with your sleeve.

I can appreciate wanting to stick with sleeve and not wanting to revise to a  different procedure. There is a person who is no longer active on the forum who revised from sleeve to sleeve. His user name is Aviator.

You mentioned tracking your food but not the method you use. If you're not already, I suggest using an online tool like myfitnesspal. It provides daily totals for your macro nutrients, which are helpful to know.

A second behavioral suggestion, consider trying the five day pouch test (http://www.5daypouchtest.com/). You're able to eat more than you should at one sitting. Many people find that if they do the five day pouch test and follow it to the letter, they're able to rediscover their sleeve.

It's great that you're taking action. Best of luck.

Edited by WendyH
Added more

I think your surgeon was right on target in referring you to therapy. Step back and read your post as if you didn't know yourself. You mentioned several things that a therapist can help you with (depression and behavior modification being the stand-outs). Doing the imaging is a great idea too. Your surgeon will be able to assess if you have any structural issues with your sleeve.

I can appreciate wanting to stick with sleeve and not wanting to revise to a  different procedure. There is a person who is no longer active on the forum who revised from sleeve to sleeve. His user name is Aviator.

You mentioned tracking your food but not the method you use. If you're not already, I suggest using an online tool like myfitnesspal. It provides daily totals for your macro nutrients, which are helpful to know.

A second behavioral suggestion, consider trying the five day pouch test (http://www.5daypouchtest.com/). You're able to eat more than you should at one sitting. Many people find that if they do the five day pouch test and follow it to the letter, they're able to rediscover their sleeve.

It's great that you're taking action. Best of luck.

thank you for all the great feedback

Therapy will be helpful but depression is a not a new beast in my life.  I do have treatment available to me and when I'm on meds its helpful. What will be interesting is this therapy will be focused on bariatric persons so I'm interested in hearing what she has to say. That said, after a lifetime of self help books, Oprah, blogs, introspection, writing logs.. I am exasperated at the notion of being the same exact size I was pre op three years later because I'm sad or anxious.  How is that even possible

Still I will leave no stone unturned and will go to therapy and try to keep an open mind. I don't want to talk about feelings, it feels patronizing as hell.  "You feel bad about yourself? So you eat to feel better? What a cycle." You know?

I use the Premium version of the LoseIt app on my cell, a FitBit watch, and a blue tooth scale. All the data syncs with each other.

Tried the five day test a few times now.  Maybe I'll try it again.  I just feel so low.  I doubt there is anything structurally wrong with my sleeve.  My surgeon definitely seems doubtful.  I feel like its just me. You should have seen the nurse today. He seemed struck with disbelief then I saw him regain control of his expressions at that part where he tries to encourage me

I will look up Aviator's post. I really thank you for the advice and encouragement.  I will get some rest and reread my depair filled posts in the morning.  It can't hurt to try every step from the top including the 5 day pouch. There is just something so demoralizing about trying any diet given how often I fail on a regular basis

Honestly it's hard to believe that you've eaten on-plan and only lost 18 pounds. It's possible something went wrong with the sleeve and it's too large, so maybe the scope will help and something can be done medically. If the sleeve turns out to be a normal size then either you're a medical miracle or you didn't actually follow the plan. If it's the latter, then therapy may help. Either way it's a good idea, just to accept your own role either way.

Many people fail to lose weight or maintain that weight loss after surgery due to bad habits--liquid calories, grazing, eating slider foods, pushing the limits of capacity consistently, washing down food with drink, etc.. If that's the case for you it doesn't mean you're a horrible person, it means you have more work to do if you want to meet your goals.

I wish you the best--I hope you get things figured out. You can safely assume everyone here knows what it's like to fail diets, so we do understand what you're going through.

Honestly it's hard to believe that you've eaten on-plan and only lost 18 pounds. It's possible something went wrong with the sleeve and it's too large, so maybe the scope will help and something can be done medically. If the sleeve turns out to be a normal size then either you're a medical miracle or you didn't actually follow the plan. If it's the latter, then therapy may help. Either way it's a good idea, just to accept your own role either way.

Many people fail to lose weight or maintain that weight loss after surgery due to bad habits--liquid calories, grazing, eating slider foods, pushing the limits of capacity consistently, washing down food with drink, etc.. If that's the case for you it doesn't mean you're a horrible person, it means you have more work to do if you want to meet your goals.

I wish you the best--I hope you get things figured out. You can safely assume everyone here knows what it's like to fail diets, so we do understand what you're going through.

yeah in total the highest lost I've had is just about 30 lbs. I have gained and lost the same 10-15 lbs over and over and over.

I'm going to take my logs to the therapist and dietician and as of today be even more detailed so I can find out what I'm doing wrong..

Thank you for the support. This community is still as great as I remember

Aviator didn't really have a revision, they simply fixed the sleeve where it formed a fistula (or was it hernia, I can't remember).  Anyway, its rare but sometimes yes there are anatomical issues. I have seen one person on these forums after having issues and going to another doctor found out that the first surgeon didn't even make an actual sleeve!  I would certainly do the barium swallow so they can check all that out. 

I had one done not that long ago myself almost 3 years post op -  it showed my sleeve was the same size as when he made it 3 years ago.  I gained 42lbs back during my 2nd year post op (after losing over 200 though) and while I took 98% responsibility for my poor food and exercise choices, I requested to have that test done just to give myself official 'proof' that in fact it was all my problem.  And it did just that.  I can hope and pray an wish that my sleeve failed and that it stretched but in the end I was shown that it is exactly as it is supposed to be and I'm the one that failed it.   My sleeve works -  if I work it.   This is just my story though, it may not be yours.  

That swallow test is going to be the best place to start.  You said you can eat a whole plate of protein which is unusual.  I can eat a lot but I couldn't do that;  my sleeve is and always has been restrictive in regards to solid proteins.  Beyond that it comes down to what we are eating.  High protein (80-100), low carb (under 60g) and lots of water.  I eat every 3-4 hours roughly (due to hypoglycemia) and I average under 1200 calories, 90g prot and 55g carbs still.  That is assuming I am making proper food choices and not that bag of christmas cookies I just baked, naturally.

Since you log your food, are you willing post a couple of days of eating here? We can give you candid and supportive feedback. And, have you considered that you might be addicted to food? I know I am and had I not 1) admitted it and 2) learned how to deal with it, I know I wouldn't have lost much weight with my sleeve.

On 12/16/2015 at 5:59 PM, WednesdaysSun said:

Today I went to see my surgeon who did my sleeve for me and she says I have to talk to the therapist and nutritionist first before talking another surgery. I only went to see her because in my despair I couldn't think of what else to do. I feel as though if something as drastic as surgery didn't work for me what else can anyone do. I am only 18 lbs less than my original weight 3 years ago. The most I've ever lost was almost 30 lbs. I would come online and research failed gastric sleeves, everyone reassured me I was just losing it slow. No one loses this slow. I can't even say I eat a lot of fast food. I can eat a full plate of protein with ease. And I usually don't have time to eat all day so I have large helpings in the evenings.

I also feel frustrated because something is obviously wrong with me. I suffer from clinical depression and anxiety. I sometimes drink more now than I did before surgery. Nothing crazy but even that I drink vodka and diet coke. No sugary drinks. I'm pretty sure I have high blood pressure now. Even if I were the absolute worst patient and I know that I'm not, I should have lost a modest amount. My thyroid is fine last I checked a few months ago. Being this way has destroyed my self esteem and my life. I try diet and exercise in vain. I felt like she was making it clear that it was me and not the surgery. I'm sure she's right but it hardly seems fair that so many people did it and at least had temporary relief. 18 lbs in three years gaining and losing the same 10-15?? 

I am scheduled to do a barium swallow so she can look at my stomach and see if I need a revision. I don't want to switch to another type of weight loss surgery if it comes to that. If my sleeve is too big I'd be willing to redo it. Otherwise that's it.

The nurse practitioner says my case is unusual. That in their practice they may see one or two people per year who have not lost any weight like me. 

Why did I have to get the confirmation that I'm a biological freak of nature? I would suspect this when everyone says how easy it is to lose weight. I become maniacal about tracking things 

How do you cut out a chunk of your stomach and without even increasing your meals, remain the same weight?

So if you googled and landed on my page, I am a person who 100% failed at my weight loss surgery and now I have begun the very long process of trying to do something about it.

This nutritionist is going to make an appointment with me way later just to tell me to log my food which I already do. I am going to take the most meticulous notes I can so we can get to the point. Three years. The idea of waiting another day for legitimate help out of this prison of a body feels too much to bear.  I'm going to turn thirty looking like this and single because of it.

I am the same way 30lbs since may I know how you feel

I am one year post op and still have a lot of restriction, especially with protein...if you can eat a lot of protein that in itself is odd...in my opinion...hopefully you can get some answers cause it sounds like you are ready to do what you have to do to make it happen...

On 12/16/2015 at 4:59 PM, WednesdaysSun said:

I felt like I was reading about myself. I have lost 17lbs so far. I've lost a little more than that, but gained it back. I'm so ashamed, I won't even do a follow up with my surgeon or nutritionist. I know I should but they were so happy for me. I think my stomach has stretched. I still can't eat as much as I used to but I can eat way more than I should with the sleeve. I've been searching fir people whose sleeve was unsuccessful but I wasn't typing in the right things. I think about this everyday!! 

53 minutes ago, Latisha said:

I felt like I was reading about myself. I have lost 17lbs so far. I've lost a little more than that, but gained it back. I'm so ashamed, I won't even do a follow up with my surgeon or nutritionist. I know I should but they were so happy for me. I think my stomach has stretched. I still can't eat as much as I used to but I can eat way more than I should with the sleeve. I've been searching fir people whose sleeve was unsuccessful but I wasn't typing in the right things. I think about this everyday!! 

Latisha, we all have our own path and no one else can walk in our shoes. You could find out if your stomach is truly stretched or not and then take action as you emotionally/physically can. On the Forum your real identity is secret and so maybe you will feel free to post your fears and worries here. It's totally safe. 

Doctors are used to people not ending up where they thought they would and so maybe just maybe you wouldn't be too very horribly embarrassed to see your team again. After you walk out of their office, who will know what your conversation was? And outside of the office, no one knows or cares. So I would encourage you to reconsider seeing them.  Perhaps you could just say up front to them, "I am embarrassed to be here at my current weight and I don't want to be judged, I want to be helped. It's hard to be here and I am ashamed." I doubt they would think it very professional to shame you, or to be anything other than constructive. They might turn out to be your long-term allies. 

Regaining weight is neither evil nor a misdeed. It just is. It is not a moral or spiritual flaw either. Just like being overweight was not a moral flaw or a lack of will, regaining some weight happens. But you can change your course, just like a ship in the ocean changes its sails when the wind changes. So you started out sailing in one direction and then it turned out there were unexpected storms ahead of you. So the winds blew you back close to where you started from. It doesn't mean your ship has sunk and you are dead. It means you can shift tactics and still get there. Your journey is different than anyone else's path. 

The good news is that if your weight re-gain was due to some emotional eating that you weren't fully in control of, or ill-advised food choices ... then you can identify those, alter your eating habits, and move forward. ... and you have already had the surgery done.

Speaking for myself (not for you) I am without doubt an emotional eater - whose downfall would be snacking on high-calorie foods in the evening every evening. When I start to snack in the evening I have replacements I can switch to - lo-calorie lemon drops, or pickles, or other similar things. My family reminds me that drops are better than butter if I need a touch of social support to make the switch.  

Not easy, is it? Lots of sympathy. 

2 hours ago, Latisha said:

HI Latisha, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. It sounds rough.

Would you mind sharing with us what exactly you are eating right now, in the course of a day or two?

Edited by Michael_A

I cannot imagine the defeat you must be feeling.  I know this week I lost .4 pounds and I was cranky.  But I know why the scale didn't move for me. I haven't been marking down what I've eaten.  I'm just saying that jar of peanut butter did not get eaten by the kids.  So I know that I've not been trying and that was the result.  Now there are some weeks that I do try and I just can't get that scale to budge.  So this week I decided that I would keep a record of all of my bites, licks, and tastes.  Those darn things will bite you in the butt.

I was highly addicted to diet coke before the surgery.  I had one the day before.  I was told to never drink soda again. So besides taking a sip in error, Ive stuck to that.  I would try to stay away from that stuff.  I'd ditch the alcohol.  I'd look at everything that feels like it has power over me and kiss it goodbye one at a time.  Maybe focus on the soda first and then move on to other things.  You can do this!  It's hard.  Sometimes it just feels impossible but there is hope! 

The stretchy part of your stomach is removed when you get a sleeve. Nearly impossible that your sleeve would have stretched. 

I would consider an addiction specialist. My sister, who also had the sleeve, saw a therapist with a specialty in addictions. My sis knew she had a food addiction and was VERY anxious about having the surgery knowing this.  It helped her through this journey. She had lost #200 and seems to be holding steady even after a couple of years.  She doesn't eat much, mostly protein bars, drinks, etc but feels satisfied and looks healthy.

Good luck. You sound very frustrated and unhappy, I'm sorry

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR! Your words could have come out of my mouth!

I’m 18 months post op. I weigh exactly what I did prior to the one week liquid diet leading to surgery. The most I lost all together was 41 lbs. which didn’t even change my clothing size. I spent the first 12 months meticulously watching what I ate. I NEVER felt full! During the initial first weeks I would occasionally feel pain as fullness but that passed quickly. I am always hungry I was never not hungry. I lost 41 lbs by the end of the 5th month post op and then it began returning. By 12 months out I was 8 lbs from my original weight.  I finally went back to my doctor at the 1 year mark and he told me that my 45 min 3x a week gym workout had to be pushed to 90 min 5x a week for better results. Are you kidding me?!?! I’m so freaking discouraged. For the last 6 months I’ve just ate whatever and only gained the last 8 lbs returning me to my pre surgery weight. I’m so upset!  I wanted to finally be thin and get to wear normal people clothes. I can’t believe the difference from my total dedication to the diet, changed to eating whatever I want only caused an 8 lb flux! How is that even possible? Shouldn’t this dang sleeve fill up when I eat or something?! So completely depressed! Let me know your solution if you find one cause I’m in you boat with you!

Welcome to Thinner Times Heather.

Have you talked with a bariatric surgeon and been scoped to see what's going on with your sleeve and whether it needs revising or possibly converting to a RNY?

Oh thank GOD someone else is in my boat. I'm sorry, but misery does love company. My starting weight was 340. Had my surgery in January in Mexico. Lost a total of 41 pounds, which was mainly in the first 6 weeks (due to all the liquids). My case was difficult as my stomach was very large. They were only able to take 50% of my stomach out, while all the other patients there had 80% of their stomach's removed. So, from the start I could eat regular sized meals. That "2 tablespoon" limit was a freakin JOKE. I can eat a double roast beef sandwich at Arbys today and I don't feel any restriction. I record everything I eat and try to limit myself to 1500 calories a day but often I go over. Have not lost a single pound since the end of February. I am so angry that I paid all that money for something that doesn't work. Had I known that I was expected to work out hard every single day and eat only 1000 calories I NEVER would have gotten this damn surgery. Also, the people who were also at the clinic getting the surgery were at least 100 pounds lighter than I was. They all lost a ton of weight, so I guess I just suck at this. I have bipolar disorder and also issues with alcohol that I continue to struggle with, so I have no doubt that is a big part of my problem. However, like I said, from the very start I didn't feel the restriction that I expected to and I am very disappointed and sad about everything.