BlueEyedGirl

How much are you eating?

I am curious how much everyone is eating three months post op? How many times a day and how many hours apart do you eat?

I ate (and still eat) every 2-3 hours.  Just until satisfied, not full.  I never measured my food so I can't be sure of the amounts.   I remember only being able to eat 1/2 quest bar or 1/2 container of Greek yogurt and a piece of string cheese was almost too much.

After 8 weeks we are healed so the forever guidelines are 6-8oz per meal and (up to) half the amount for snacks.

I have always measured my food and I still do 3 years later because I can eat more then 6-8oz if I let my sleeve dictate it (but still NOTHING like pre-surgery of course).  Of course a lot of the time that is dependent on what I'm eating but that is beside the current point.  So at 3 months even though I can't remember or have logs back that far (I didn't start logging in MFP until 8 months post op) I would have ate usually about 6oz per meal.  Almost always 3oz of meat and then 2-3oz of something else.   Usually had 2 snacks in a day and I basically ate something every 3-4 hours.

Just want to add -  if you can eat 6-8oz at this stage -  that is fine and good and proper and all that.  If you can't eat that much at this stage - that is also good and proper and perfectly fine.  The sleeve allows what it allows and there is no need to push it.  It will relax in its own time and some people just have tighter sleeves then others (even if its the same surgeon and same bougie size.... people and bodies are still different).

After 8 weeks we are healed so the forever guidelines are 6-8oz per meal and (up to) half the amount for snacks.

I have always measured my food and I still do 3 years later because I can eat more then 6-8oz if I let my sleeve dictate it (but still NOTHING like pre-surgery of course).  Of course a lot of the time that is dependent on what I'm eating but that is beside the current point.  So at 3 months even though I can't remember or have logs back that far (I didn't start logging in MFP until 8 months post op) I would have ate usually about 6oz per meal.  Almost always 3oz of meat and then 2-3oz of something else.   Usually had 2 snacks in a day and I basically ate something every 3-4 hours.

Just want to add -  if you can eat 6-8oz at this stage -  that is fine and good and proper and all that.  If you can't eat that much at this stage - that is also good and proper and perfectly fine.  The sleeve allows what it allows and there is no need to push it.  It will relax in its own time and some people just have tighter sleeves then others (even if its the same surgeon and same bougie size.... people and bodies are still different).

Thank you so much! I now have an idea. Some days I am so hungry and other days I am not at all. Some foods I can eat more of and some less. It's so weird adjusting to all of this. I am getting all my protein in just really having a hard time getting my liquids in. :)

I eat right around 1600 non gym days or 2000ish on the high side when I do an hour or two at the gym.(Burn 600-900 cals) I pack a 3-4 snacks during the day. Mostly cheese, Pepperoni, Beef sticks greek yogurt etc. 

Thank you so much! I now have an idea. Some days I am so hungry and other days I am not at all. Some foods I can eat more of and some less. It's so weird adjusting to all of this. I am getting all my protein in just really having a hard time getting my liquids in. :)

I know Bettendorf does not prescribe antiacid for us so you may want to consider picking something up and trying that (they gave us Pecpid in the hospital).  Acid can often be mistaken for hunger and I know pretty much the only times I felt hungry (in my stomach) have been cause of the acid roiling around in there.

Thirst is another thing often mistaken for hunger and since you said you have a hard time getting fluid in, I'd bet a lot of the time it is really the body wanting water moreso than food.   Non of this is to claim you "can't" be feeling hungry....   just saying you'd be surprised how often either acid or thirst is actually what the real issue is for those 'hunger pangs'.

For water consumption I suggest the Camelbak bite valve water bottle.  You can get it at Target here in our area (Walmart does not carry them),  I ordered mine off of Amazon.  I am/was utterly amazed at how fast I could drink water with one of those.  Never had a water consumption issue again after getting it.  The straw (or bite valve) helps tremendously.

I know Bettendorf does not prescribe antiacid for us so you may want to consider picking something up and trying that (they gave us Pecpid in the hospital).  Acid can often be mistaken for hunger and I know pretty much the only times I felt hungry (in my stomach) have been cause of the acid roiling around in there.

Thirst is another thing often mistaken for hunger and since you said you have a hard time getting fluid in, I'd bet a lot of the time it is really the body wanting water moreso than food.   Non of this is to claim you "can't" be feeling hungry....   just saying you'd be surprised how often either acid or thirst is actually what the real issue is for those 'hunger pangs'.

For water consumption I suggest the Camelbak bite valve water bottle.  You can get it at Target here in our area (Walmart does not carry them),  I ordered mine off of Amazon.  I am/was utterly amazed at how fast I could drink water with one of those.  Never had a water consumption issue again after getting it.  The straw (or bite valve) helps tremendously.

I will check out that bottle! He did prescibe me Pepcid right out of surgery. I take 2 tablets twice a day and that helps so much. The acid was really bad at first but now it's almost gone. I think why I was hungry all the time is all I was eating was 2 ounces. Now that I know I can have a little bit more I am getting all my protein in and not as hungry. I just really need to work on my water intake. Thank you for the link for the bottle! :)

Does this bottle make the slurping noise when you are using it? I hate that sound and that everyone around me could hear it when I was drinking. I stopped using that bottle and now think i have decreased my liquid consumption. Looking for new choices.

I'm right at three months now and I'm eating 2-4oz per meal. I eat every 2-3 hours, usually 5-6 meals per day. How much I eat specifically depends on what I'm eating--If I'm eating plain jerky then 2oz is about as much as I can do, but if I'm eating a more balanced meal with softer protein and something wet or saucy I can do close to 4oz. I have no idea what my calories are because I'm not tracking them. I know you're supposed to journal and stuff but I did that for every diet I've ever been on and I hate it and I never want to write down what I eat ever again. So I make sure every meal I eat follows the plan, unless I choose not to. :)

Does this bottle make the slurping noise when you are using it? I hate that sound and that everyone around me could hear it when I was drinking. I stopped using that bottle and now think i have decreased my liquid consumption. Looking for new choices.

When you get to the very bottom like any straw/glass would sure I suppose.  Other then that no.

Mine doesn't make any noise, other than the first drink after filling it up when the straw is empty. I have one on my desk so I just tried it to be sure---I couldn't hear any noise.

I have no idea what my calories are because I'm not tracking them. I know you're supposed to journal and stuff but I did that for every diet I've ever been on and I hate it and I never want to write down what I eat ever again. So I make sure every meal I eat follows the plan, unless I choose not to. :)

Ditto ;)

I'm just past 4 months, but I don't think my capacity has changed much in the past 2 months or so.  I can usually eat about 3-4 oz at a time of dense protein, sometimes with a bite or three of something else that's not as dense.  If it's not a dense food (I very commonly have cottage cheese for breakfast, for example), I stop at 3.5-4 oz anyway.  It's enough for me to feel satisfied.  I still measure/weigh.  I usually have 1-2 snacks a day, more commonly 1.  

How many calories and carbs is everyone staying under? Just curious. ^_^

I don't track. I've tracked calories for so many diets that I have a visceral, negative reaction to the thought of doing it again. I make sure each meal is balanced and figure it's sorts itself out that way.

If I had to guess though, I'd say somewhere between 1,000 and 1,400. Maybe.

BlueEyedGirl, 680-820 or so calories (give or take) and 50-55 gm carb, inclusive of 23-25 gm fiber.

Mark, I'm not saying you need to do anything differently, but consider logging using an online tool like myfitnesspal. The honeymoon period is easy, but you may find it helpful later to know what was working and what has changed if you start to experience a weight gain down the road. You don't have to look at the stats as you go.

BlueEyedGirl, 680-820 or so calories (give or take) and 50-55 gm carb, inclusive of 23-25 gm fiber.

Mark, I'm not saying you need to do anything differently, but consider logging using an online tool like myfitnesspal. The honeymoon period is easy, but you may find it helpful later to know what was working and what has changed if you start to experience a weight gain down the road. You don't have to look at the stats as you go.

Nope. :)

But people should certainly log whenever they can--it's a great tool and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from using it! Plus it's very easy with apps on your phone like MFP and all the others out there. Many of them only take a couple of touches/clicks to get your meals in and they also integrate with other apps and tools in neat ways. It's great stuff.

I use MFP, so the calories get logged for me.  I usually average 700-900 a day, and am more frequently on the lower end of that.  I don't pay a ton of attention to calories, I'm more interested in the carb and protein counts.  But it's definitely helpful to keep a bit of an eye on the calories too.

A basic, general rule of thumb for active weightloss after surgery is:  1000 or less calories, 60-80g protein, under 60 carbs.   Again that is just a general guideline as different people need different things based on stuff like activity level and sex (as in:  men typically intake more calories even at their 'low' base end)

3 years post up I still average 1100-1200 calories, 90-100 prot and still try and keep carbs under 60.  There are days I eat more, there are days I eat less; but that is typically what I do.

Edited by Jolls

Thank you so much everyone! This helped me a lot. Having a leak post op has been a set back for me. Each day I am getting better with eating food. Somedays I am very hungry and other days I am not. I seem to be in a stall and stuck. I am not eating any junk food so I hope this stall will pass. Will increasing fluids help with this? Eating more? Any tips would be appreciated! :wub:

Stall happen and are just part of the journey.  If the scale is not moving - then usually your inches.  Its usually one or the other.  There is very likely anything you need to change at this point ....but fluids never ever ever hurt  :) 

Thanks for all the information. I'm one month out and experiencing a stall and was worried that I was doing something wrong. I guess I need to hang tough.

30 minutes ago, KathyawesomeSmith said:

Thanks for all the information. I'm one month out and experiencing a stall and was worried that I was doing something wrong. I guess I need to hang tough.

Yep. Just hang in there, and the scale will move again. People frequently find that when the scale stalls, their body composition is shifting leaner (more compact), so you may find your clothes fitting differently.

Love the user name, BTW. Members of my household frequently acknowledge each other's and their own awesomeness. Positive affirmations are awesome. :D

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, KathyawesomeSmith said:

Me too!  It's hard going through that first stall.  It is making me crazy!  I felt as if the stall was a month long... when I look back it turns out it has only been 10 days but still... so frustrating!!!