14 weeks out and stalling!

Expilotswife

Hi,

I have 100 total pounds to lose, lost 34 in 14 wks. The past month and 1/2 has been a total stall, with the scale showing 1 lb lost for over a week then sometimes gaining it back. What gives?! Started at the gym walking 1 mile and weight machines, but next day I'm totally sick w fever (took a month and two antibiotics to kill last bug). I feel like I'm a total failure. Doing protein shakes, eating protein, but zilch. It was supposed to be fairly easy to lose this first 6 months. It's not happening. Then I read about ppl who are worried about losing too much and not being able to stop. That kills me. When I breastfed all three babies, the preg weight did NOT fall off, like it does for most women. What's wrong with me??? What I feared would happen, has. Am I doomed to never be able to lose?

You have lost an average of 2.5 pounds a week-great job! Everybody is different, please do not compare your journey to others. Your body has underwent an amazing transformation and is adjusting. By following your plan, it will happen. I have lost over 200 pounds (over 2.5 years) and never lost more than 13 pounds a month so all the so called wisdom about heavyweights losing more was not true for my body.

Take this time to embrace and trust your plan and try staying off the scale for a few weeks. Remember, this is truly a lifestyle change so don't focus on the rate of loss, just that you're losing. Three words in your post stick out to me-wrong, feared, doomed. Please choose not to stay in that head space, it WILL derail your efforts. If you have not lost ANY weight in the next 2 weeks (again, stay off the scale), then meet with your team to develop a plan. 

I know it can seem overwhelming in the beginning and losing weight quickly and having it validated by the scale is intoxicating. This is a mental journey much more than a physical one and having a healthy relationship with food, our body, and the scale is what will make you successful long term. I wish you the best in your journey! 

Concentrate on getting well. You're sick with a fever, not energized and motivated to focus on weight loss. Have some chicken soup. Have a protein shake. Eat foods with smooth textures. Take one thing at a time, and getting over your cold is at the top of the list.

Thank you. someday I hope I'll be able to be an encourager on this site and tell newbies I  was very discouraged starting out. It's tough to continually be running into a wall on this 'journey'.  Those who reply to questions and problems are my heroes! Thank you again.

• I agree, stay off the scale for a week or two.  Until I got close to goal, I only weighed every other Saturday.  I never saw a stall and never got discouraged..

Relax, just stick with the program and stay.off.the.scale.  Make sure you are drinking plenty 64-80+ oz/day and taking your vitamins.  Eat non starchy veggies.  Give you body what it needs to fight your illness and stay healthy.  Then step on the scale in a month or so for a nice surprise.  Stalls happen.  gains happen.  It's all part of the process.

That's good advice. I keep looking for positive reinforcement by scale watching. I know better but still do it, glutton for punishment... Guess I'll put that scale elsewhere and resist temptation! Thank you for your response. :-)