annie_okay

I made a huge mistake

I got approved for surgery in late August, but couldn't do it right away because the semester was starting and I teach. I'm now scheduled for Dec 21 and at my first trip to the surgeon's office in four months. I've gained back 17 of the pounds I lost during my supervised diet and I have to lose most of that or they won't do the surgery. I have to lose in one month what it took four months to gain and I'm really struggling and panicked,

If I can't get my surgery done Iay have to wait I may not be able to do it until May. The chairman of the department said they'd find a way around my classes for the semester, but I teach one of only three capstone courses.

The doc is putting me on a two week liquid diet, instead of one and I'm supposed to swap out one meal per day with a protein shake.

I am extremely hungry and irritable and scared.

Any advice appreciated!

I gained weight during my 6 month period so instead of needing to lose 5 pounds I had to lose 20! I had two months to do it but I was so freaked out that I buckled down and lost all 20 pounds in a month. YOU CAN DO THIS! Who cares if you're hungry when there's something so worth it right around the corner! I was starving 24/7 in that month but I didn't care because I knew it was a means to an end. I kept my calories around 900-1000 and walked 1 mile 3xweek. Nothing too strenuous or your body will sometimes hang onto the fat and you'll lose slower. Check in to TT daily to keep motivated and let us know how you are getting on.

Edited by JulieW

17 pounds in a month is doable if you work at it, and if you're a few pounds shy of that target, all they are really looking for is good effort on your part. After the surgery, you're still going to need daily effort for the rest of your life. Your surgeon wants you to be successful as much as you do.

I lost 22 pounds in 16 days on my liquid preop.  3 protein shakes and unlimited leafy green veggies.....kale and spinach became my best friends.  Make sure you read labels because some "protein" drinks are loaded with carbs.  And yes I was hungry and crabby the whole time, but like JulieW said, it's a small sacrifice to the ultimate end.  So yes, it is doable.

As the others have mentioned, 20 pounds in a month is totally doable. I do have a specific piece of advice to make it a less unpleasant experience. Ratchet down your carbs now, before your two week diet. If you keep them low enough, you'll get into ketosis in a few days, and your appetite and hunger will dissipate to a large degree. Be careful to stay in ketosis so you don't disturb the hunger monster. You've got this.

Keep in mind that protein kills hunger. 

Thanks all. Substituting a protein drink (120 cals) for my afternoon King SIzed Kit Kat (420 cals)  has helped, as has eliminating carbs for dinner and switching from McDonald's for breakfast (800 cals) to scrambled eggs (156 cals). I'm not having anything after dinner (recently my evening snack was consisting of a full row in a package of chocolate oreos).

I'm definitely still hungry all the time, but not as cranky as I thought. I just got on the scale and am down six pounds since Wednesday. I was probably eating 2500-3000 calories a day and am now down to between 1200-1400.

I appreciate all the encouragement and advice.

Edited by annie_okay

I was starving on day 3 of my pre-op diet, but then I didn't feel hungry after that.  The hunger will lessen.

If you need a sweet snack after dinner, grab some sugar free jello and go to town.  I've been lax with my eating and exercising lately, but my daughter is having surgery next month, so I will be going through all the phases with her again, so she has a partner.  It's the least a mother can do.