My Bariatric Life

Gall bladder removed with gastric bypass 12-yrs go, now having digestive problems

Twelve years ago when I arrived at the hospital to have my gastric bypass, just before going into surgery, the bariatric surgeon suggests removing my gall bladder. Back then, I was not an empowered patient. So I just said, "OK" trusting that my surgeon new best. And now I am having a host of digestive issues, and wondering if the surgeon made a bad decision that day. After all, why remove my gall bladder when I wasn't having any gall bladder problems???

Here is a linked article about how to achieve optimal digestive health if your gall bladder is removed  http://bodyecology.com/articles/is_your_gall_bladder_removed.php .  I do not advocate any of the products listed. I am posting the link so folks can read about the role of the gall bladder in digestion and its vital role with the liver.

I have had to take many products to help relieve my severe digestive issues, issues which include constipation, distention, bloating, gas, pain. 

A gastroenterologist did upper and lower endoscopies and a CT scan. All of that is normal. 

A naturopath/chiropractor has been doing energy work on me. 

Despite all these efforts, my digestion is still not normal. It is much better than what it was... oh the constipation was awful... my husband said it sounded like I was delivering a baby... the pain was awful and I seem to have given myself a hernia trying to have a BM. 

Has anyone had similar problems? I sure would like (love) to get this resolved. 

Thanks for your help

Edited by My Bariatric Life

Very common after GB removal (regardless of WLS) to have digestive issues. I use papaya enzymes to help (I still have my GB) and need extra fibers (the clear stuff) and senna each day to keep things moving. 

Thanks. Yes, I use papaya enzymes and two other digestive enzymes that I get from a naturopath, as well as a pre biotic and a pro biotic, intestinal soothe and ease, super aloe 450, psyllium husk, simethicone, and magnesium citrate. I think that about covers it. Hopefully there are items on the list that will help others like me. I had to do a lot of research and talk to other patients and be my own health advocate. So far, the allopathic doctors haven't been able to help me after 8-months.

Edited by My Bariatric Life

I had my gall bladder removed 17 years ago and I've never had any issues. Want to put this out there in case any newbies read your post and think gall bladder removal = issues.

I had my gall bladder removed 17 years ago and I've never had any issues. Want to put this out there in case any newbies read your post and think gall bladder removal = issues.

Yes, fair balance is a good idea! And I am glad that you are doing well!!! 17 years is impressive. Continued good luck! 

Learned a trick to help with going the bathroom. I eat a salad with kale, spinach, romaine and O & V dressing everyday and I go like clockwork. Sometimes twice a day. Kale attracts water to your digestive track and helps get things moving.

Learned a trick to help with going the bathroom. I eat a salad with kale, spinach, romaine and O & V dressing everyday and I go like clockwork. Sometimes twice a day. Kale attracts water to your digestive track and helps get things moving.

THANK YOU!!! Thank you very much!

THANK YOU!!! Thank you very much!

Are you just thanking in her in general?  Or because it worked??  Enquiring minds want to know...  :-)