ktgrok

Vaginal dryness and low libido?

I'm 5 months out from surgery as of today, and for the past few months I've had NO sex drive. None. Like, nope, not happening. And vaginal dryness. My OB thinks its from my mirena IUD, as both are known side effects, but I'v ehad the mirena for 3 years and this stuff has only been an issue since surgery. Anyone else deal with this, and did it get better?

I suppose it could be the mirena, and now that I've lost 20% of my body weight I'm more sensitive to the hormones in it?? Or it could be from the surgery directly. I don't feel i'm dehydrated anymore, so that shouldn't be it. Any thoughts?

I had a mirena when was 310 and have one now at 165. I didn't have any of the symptoms you are experiencing. It could be from the surgery. Check with your WLS and see what they think. 

I had a mirena when was 310 and have one now at 165. I didn't have any of the symptoms you are experiencing. It could be from the surgery. Check with your WLS and see what they think. 

I asked the surgeon's office and they said no one had ever complained of this before. 

Many women begin experiencing these issues around 40 so I doubt it's related to WLS. For most it's hormonal changes that are driving these symptoms. Would you feel comfortable in talking with your PCP or a Gynecologist about it? They could do some testing to see if it is hormonal or thyroid related. 

I did talk to my gynocologist. He prescribed a DHEA supplement for the libido issue, and said to use lube, lol. He did check and my testosterone and DHEA were low normal, so not optimal. If the DHEA doesn't work he can prescribe testosterone, but that would interfere with trying to have a baby later so I'm hesitant to do that. 

On November 13, 2015 at 6:19 AM, ktgrok said:

I did talk to my gynocologist. He prescribed a DHEA supplement for the libido issue, and said to use lube, lol. He did check and my testosterone and DHEA were low normal, so not optimal. If the DHEA doesn't work he can prescribe testosterone, but that would interfere with trying to have a baby later so I'm hesitant to do that. 

HI Ktgrok, Did the supplement help?  And if so, which one did he prescribe if you don't mind me asking...  Thanks! 

On 7/21/2016 at 8:57 PM, Leilani said:

HI Ktgrok, Did the supplement help?  And if so, which one did he prescribe if you don't mind me asking...  Thanks! 

I'm also wondering if the supplement helped?

I had a Mirena for 5 years in my late 30's and had no issues. It was great. I was bummed when it was time to retire it ;-)

Something to consider: of the 2 types of Estrogen that contribute to our overall level, one is produced by fat. This is one of the reasons that obesity compounds the risk of certain reproductive and breast cancers so greatly in women....by a shocking amount in fact. As we begin to rapidly lose weight the amount of Estrogen producing fat we have also reduces which may explain some of the changes you're experiencing.

I'm not sure how old you are but the symptoms you described are very common with perimenopause. I noticed that my symptoms became increasing pronounced the closer I got to my goal weight. It's actually how I came across this post. I did a search to see if anyone else has had the same issues I'm having now. It feels like a switch got flipped the minute I lost about 20% of my excess fat.

I don't know if it would help you or not but I'd HIGHLY recommend a book called 'The Estrogen Window' by Dr. Mache Seibel to any woman (or anyone who loves a woman) who is struggling with symptoms. https://www.amazon.com/Estrogen-Window-Breakthrough-Balanced-Through-Perimenopause/dp/1623366747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476807915&sr=8-1&keywords=the+estrogen+window

It's been nearly a year since you first made this post. I'd be interested in hearing how you made out with everything and if you could give people like me any advice based on your experience.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 8:19 AM, ktgrok said:

@ktgrok I know it's been eons since you posted this thread, but I am wondering if the supplements helped.  I had a similar discussion with my FP and she said weight loss can lower your estrogen levels - and also advised lube :/  Painful sex is not fun whatsoever - and doesn't seem fair to the hubby either.  Sadly, lube isn't the answer.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:32 PM, TammyP said:

@ktgrok I know it's been eons since you posted this thread, but I am wondering if the supplements helped.  I had a similar discussion with my FP and she said weight loss can lower your estrogen levels - and also advised lube :/  Painful sex is not fun whatsoever - and doesn't seem fair to the hubby either.  Sadly, lube isn't the answer.

I'm not Katie (obviously), but I'm on another forum she frequents and I'm guessing she found a solution as she wound up getting pregnant and having another baby. Hopefully she'll visit here and respond. On a related (kinda TMI) note, have you tried coconut oil or a silicone based lube? They last longer than the water based ones. Just don't combine silicone-based lube with silicone toys or coconut oil with latex.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:06 PM, athenarose said:

I'm not Katie (obviously), but I'm on another forum she frequents and I'm guessing she found a solution as she wound up getting pregnant and having another baby. Hopefully she'll visit here and respond. On a related (kinda TMI) note, have you tried coconut oil or a silicone based lube? They last longer than the water based ones. Just don't combine silicone-based lube with silicone toys or coconut oil with latex.

I have not, thanks for the info I will check into both!