scarlet-amelia

fitbit question

I am really confused about how Fitbit works when it comes to exercise...

So, if I wear my fitbit all day, and have 10,000 steps... and 2000 of those are a "walk"... why should I also go out to activities and log a walk?  wouldn't Fitbit have already captured the steps (thus calories burned) for that?  or does it add a certain amount of ADDITIONAL calories burned?  Or, should I take OFF the Fitbit, and just add the walk as a separate activity to get the accurate calorie burn?

Please tell me this makes sense....

I wear a Fitbit daily, and have for over a year. It automatically calculates the walking aspect, and adjusts when I speed up, slow down, etc. I track my food on Myfitnesspal.com and have linked my Fitbit to it. So when I walk in the evenings, I do not go and log it a second time anywhere...my Fitbit has already done that. 

So, if that's the case.. then why do that have a whole tab for you to log your activities?

Where? On Myfitnesspal.com or on the Fitbit app? I would think that would be for things like resistance training and such. 

On the Fitbit app/program. That's what I thought too.. maybe just for resistance training.. but it's not.. it's running, walking biking, hiking.... as well as resistance, yoga, etc... So.. they want you to log your exercise. It has never made sense to me. Perhaps it just "adjusts" the calorie burn?  like, if you say you jogged... that would adjust the calories up for that period of time due to the increase in exertion?  I really don't get it. I've also been using Fitbit for a year and I'm to the point where my weight loss has really slowed down. I want to get my calories in/out as close to accurate as possible so I can identify what is causing my weight to stall more than would be expected at this point..

What I did at one point was to turn off the auto-sync with my Fitbit and Myfitnesspal.com so that I could manually calculate the calories during exercise. I like to see the steps I take, so I use the Fitbit for that (I don't always carry my phone with me) but then if I want something more accurate ... I turn off the auto-sync. You might get more realistic calories in/out that way...

I use fitbit and log on mfp too...I only enter activity in mfp that is not walking-like yoga, aquacize, weights, elliptical, etc.

Fitbit doesn't record certain things like swimming and sometimes when I bike it doesn't record that either so you at that point could add it. Also I understand if you forget it you can add additional exercise. I don't manually add it to fitbit but I do transfer it to MFP sometimes to see where I am overall. 

My Fitbit died after going through the wash cycle :( so I downloaded a free app on my phone that for me, works just as good! Odometer+ (Zed said studio) 

I found that my fitbit does not recognize when I walk on the treadmill holding on to the handrails.  Perhaps that's what it is for.  

This is from the fitbit website:

"For other trackers, manually logging an activity works well when step count isn't the best indicator of the calories burned. If you are doing an activity that does not require steps (like cycling or using an elliptical machine), or an activity that requires more than just steps (like tennis or yoga), logging the activity manually improves the accuracy of this activity's contribution to your caloric burn. "

I found that my fitbit does not recognize when I walk on the treadmill holding on to the handrails.  Perhaps that's what it is for.  

I stick it in my pocket for activities like this.  I also do it when I cruise through the grocery store and will be holding onto a cart.  If you aren't swinging your arm, it won't count.