Mason_The_Lessor

Greetings. New from Cleveland, OH

Hi, my name is Mason.  I'm 45 years old and have been overweight since about age 8.  I only recently seriously considered weight loss surgery and am now in the program at the Cleveland Clinic.  I guess I always felt I could do it myself.  Yet every time I tried I gained the weight back.  I went to see a new doctor to get some new ideas for losing weight and he said flat out "what are you waiting for?  get the surgery" - so here I am.  I have my first appointment with the bariatric dept. doctor tomorrow and the surgeon in a few weeks.  I've been reading, watching videos and it all is making me very excited to start my new life.  Thank you for reading and I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

-Mason

Hi Mason. Welcome. This is an exciting time. Before you know it, you'll be more active and engaged with your daughters' lives and your own. Prior to seeking surgery, many of us believed we could lose the weight on our own and keep it off. Know, though, that you are still doing all the work, just with a powerful tool in your arsenal that you've never had before. I look forward to hearing how things go for you.

Edited by WendyH
Grammar

Hi Mason,

I joined this great place not long ago too. I have been waiting for 8 years for my operation. I always felt that I have been a slim person in a fat woman's body. My operation is set for November 25th. I have been on the pre-program here in Australia of just 3 Optislim shakes a day, or 2 Optislim shakes and 2 cups of veges a day. I started ten days ago and I have lost 7 kilos so far. I am also looking forward to the arsenal that Wendy H talks about. I have struggled since I was a teenager and I am so happy to know that the struggle ends on the 25th and the new me will emerge. So welcome, enjoy the journey and I look forward to hearing about your story. Good luck. 

Welcome and remember that this forum is here to answer questions, and to provide support.  You are making the right choice!

Welcome to Thinner Times Mason and congratulations on making the decision to turn your life around!

welcome as you start this journey to a healthier you.

Welcome Mason. You have come to a great place for information and support. This forum has been a tremendous resource for me and I hope it will be for you as well.

I think most of us always wanted to believe that we were one of those people that 'can do it on their own'. Most weight loss professionals and many doctors don't want to discourage us from trying to get control of our weight so they don't often share with us that only a tiny percentage of people are able to achieve long term weight loss non-surgically. In fact, current statistics note that only about 1% of people who lose 100lbs or more and keep it off for 5 or more years are able to do so without surgical intervention compared to the 50% of people who do it with weight loss surgery. I have an iron will but it wasn't enough. I don't feel bad about that anymore. I'm confident I made the right decision.

The truth is even after weight loss surgery, we're still doing it 'on our own'. It's still work but as Wendy noted, with the help of a powerful tool. It's like cutting down an enormous tree with a chainsaw instead of a dull axe.

Congrats on taking charge of your health and welcome to TT!