The honeymoon is over

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. My weightloss has been great until about 2 months ago where I plateaued (which happens) and since then I have struggled to lose 5lbs. Im not where I want to be at all. I feel great, I have energy etc... but I'd really like to lose another 20+lbs (approximately).  My diet is fine, still high protein, low fat and very low carb. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice etc... I did have a car accident a couple of months ago, also, and am still in pain from that, but don't want to use that as an excuse - though Im only just back at the gym with an almost healed rotator cuff injury. Im not sure what to do next?  Any suggestions for the post- honeymoon stage would be great.

Wendy

Edited by wendysal

Try increasing fat, it isn't the bogeyman that food marketing makes it out to be.  Hmmm, I just noticed that you are banded. I don't recall reading from anyone who has great success with this method. Just an observation, there may well be some who have reached their target, though there are far too many who have a revision. In my original group of 20 people, only one was planning on the band.

A completely unscientific observation on my part, mostly reading here, is that ultimate success is RNY, VSG, and band, in that order. We do have many many folks here who have lost well over 200 pounds with VSG. I've never read a story of the band being that successful.

Stay with the program, it's essential for long-term success for all of us, every day for the rest of our lives.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Im not sure about increasing my fat levels -that's a scarey thought- might see what others think. I had my reasons for chosing lapband. From the start I've followed the advice from members here, most who haven't had the band, and I believe that is why I have been successful in losing over 100lbs to date. Very little info was given to me on diet/ lifestyle post band, so this site has been great - and I just treat it like a bypass pouch ;) and eat accordingly.  I am now thinking, maybe Im not getting enough protein? Do I need protein to lose weight?

Wendy

Like tmcgee said,  fat restriction has not been a part of any WLS postop diet plan that I have heard of.  For most people it's all about the carbs.  In fact, I probably eat more fat now than before I was sleeved.  But good fat, not greasy fried food fat....lots of cheese and full fat dairy, fatty meats, nuts, and real butter, mayo, etc.  hell, I literally take my vitamins with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or coconut oil every day to help with absorption.

Are you tracking your food?  How many calories? Protein? Carbs? Knowing those numbers may help others help you.  I don't track or measure, but if I were struggling to meet goal I would definitely start.  In general, if what you are doing isn't working then you need to do something different and knowing your macro intake will help you know what to change.  Are you taking vitamins?  Getting at least 64oz fluids?.  Remember it takes less calories to function as a 200 pound person than a 300 pound person.  Just walking around burns less calories, so the last 10-20 pounds are always going to be harder to get off. Losing 5 pounds in 2 months is still losing.  You could still lose those last 20 pounds in less than a year.  After all, losing as much as you have in such a short period for the band is really quite good.  

I have a very good friend who was banded like 8 years ago.  In fact, she was my inspiration to have WLS.  But it was also her that discouraged me from having lapband.  She started out at 340 and got down to 220 (she's 5' 11').  It took her more than 4 years to get there and she looked great but she was never able to reach goal.   The daily struggle and not losing finally took its toll mentally.  She has gained back 50 pounds over the last 2 years and is now looking at revision.

good luck

Edited by ThinCVT

I agree that fats are not the enemy. But ThinCVT, you can now say you've heard of a program that restricts fat. My program doesn't provide specific macro nutrient numbers but does recommend limiting fat. I kind of smile and nod and move forward. I don't go nuts with fats, but I do eat the real thing, and frankly, with three sources of calories (protein, carbohydrate, and fat), if I'm watching my carbs and wish to remain nourished and fueled without overdosing on protein, then fat is my other choice.

And Wendy, you have every reason to relish in your accomplishments. You are now like "normal people", struggling with that last 15-20 pounds, and you know what? You're making progress at getting rid of those pounds too. How awesome is that.

Do you track your food? If you share your usual protein, carbohydrate and fat levels, people out here might have some thoughts on minor adjustments you could make.

I eat more fat now than I ever did in my life, but none of it is what I'd call greasy food. I do avoid that.

A big part of this process is figuring out what works and doesn't work for you, it varies for each of us.

Thanks everyone for responding. I think the fats issue has probably hit the nail on the head. My dietician (who doesn't seem to know anything about bariatrics) has pushed the 'no more than a tablespoon of fat per day' from the start. It means all my protein is low fat (egg whites etc).  My diet has been very limited (I seem to live on fat free/ low fat yogurt, beans and soup)- and I'm probably not getting enough of anything really.  I'm going to start eating avocados etc... (looking forward to it too!).  Im feeling very encouraged, thank you.

Wendy

when the "no fat" craze was raging, I was like, captain of the craze.  i could never get below 135, i was hungry all the time, my skin was terrible, and i craved sweets so bad.  I wasn't getting enough good fat and protein in.  I would agree with everyone else that maybe upping your good fats will help and dense protein will help? best of luck to you, you've done an amazing job!

Also, try increasing your no (or very low) calorie liquids.  It should keep you feeling full (which may cut down on your calories) while helping your body lose weight without damaging the kidneys.  

Finally, remember that everyone's body is different, and thus everyones weight loss journey is different.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in, Fats really helped me.  I eat peanut/almond butter, avocados, butter from grass fed cows, etc.  Ran into a problem before I incorporated it as I was always craving sweets, severe plateau on weight loss and fog brain.  Come to find out it wasn't recommended to keep my fats low like I had been and once I incorporated it back into my diet, BOOM...my problems went away.  Also my weight loss began to start back up.

Hi everyone,

Well I took your advice and this week ate healthy fats, which also upped my protein. Guess what?

- I feel a lot better

- And I broke my plateau and dropped 3lbs!

:D

Thanks for the advice... I feel I am back on my journey.

Edited by wendysal