itching and other questions

I had my arms and breasts done almost 3 weeks ago.  I had a small implant put at the top of my breasts and that's about the only thing that still bothers me somewhat.  I had questions though I was hoping you guys could answer.  I'm sure these have already been answered, but I'm not having much luck with the search.

1. What did you do about the itching?  I tried taking benedryl and it didn't work.

2. How long did it take before you saw the final results?  Specifically, how long did it take for the swelling to go down.

3. When do the implants drop to where they're supposed to be?  My boobs look a little weird right now because the implants are sitting higher than they should.

4.  When were you able to start sleeping on your stomach again?

I'm going in for my LBL next Wednesday, I'm really nervous about that, but excited too.

I had my implants put in December 2013. I was swollen for a good few months, and my surgeon said to give it 6 months for them to settle and even out. I'm not gonna lie, I was freaked out at how high they were and also uneven. But lo and behold, six months later - PERFECT!

I wore an elastic band thing to push them down. All day in the beginning and then just at night. It definitely made a difference. Just be patient. 

I had my arms and breasts done 3 weeks ago too. I had my lower body lift in August so that really helped me anticipate the itchiness that comes with healing.

1. The itchiness is a sign of healing. I know it's frustrating but it will resolve. Don't scratch, the only thing that offered me relief was gently rubbing or massaging the incision areas which my doctor recommended for scar treatment anyway. 

2. Swelling-it will be here a while at least 3 months and could be up to a year. Again, our body is healing and it takes time.

3. Mine have dropped some in 3 weeks and and will take awhile. My surgeon echoed what Greer said- 6 months.

4. I'm a side sleeper so I don't know (Dr. cleared me for sleeping on my side last week-yay!). Definitely a question for your surgeon. 

Congrats on the lower body lift. I have a really good result and they removed 12 pounds of skin. I was a size 12 before and now a size 8 and could easily be a size 6 once the swelling subsides and my body settles down. I had a goal of 100 grams protein per day, very low sodium, and at least 80 oz. liquids (lemon water is key here) per day to help with the healing and swelling and I think it made a difference. My swelling for the BA and arms has settled in my tummy- waist is 2 inches bigger right now (remember, it's temporary) and with the lower body lift it was in my thighs..... like seriously 3 inches bigger for awhile.  

Thank you, that makes me feel better!  What sort of elastic band did you wear?

I am not sure what it was called, my surgeon gave it to me along with the sports bra I had to wear for weeks! It was Velcro and just went around the top of my breasts over my breastbone. Its sole purpose was to push them down gently. Ask your surgeon. I saw mine very often for follow ups initially.

i love my boobs :)

Thank you so much for your responses!  If you don't mind me asking, what was your bmi before the surgery?  Have you lost any more weight since you had the surgery?

I was 178 before my lower body lift in August and was 166 before my 2nd surgery 3 weeks ago. I am of course retaining fluid and am 171 right now. i fully expect that I will return to 166 following my low sodium,100 grams protein and 80+ fluids regimen. I'm a daily weigher which I think helps me and helps me keep an eye on my fluid retention. It takes me awhile to lose the fluid and then it happens randomly-1.6 pounds, next day 2.3 pounds (from 1st surgery)-it's really weird how the fluid can go just like that :) Oh, I also started moving and walking again as soon as possible but you must be careful that your heart rate does not get too high or you don't get sweaty which could hinder your healing. Your doctor can let you know what an optimum healing diet and activity level is for you. Best of luck and let us know how it goes! 

Thank you so much for your responses!  If you don't mind me asking, what was your bmi before the surgery?  Have you lost any more weight since you had the surgery?

Not sure if you meant me...I had a BMI of 21ish before my plastic surgery and did lose a little more after the swelling went down, but it was more body changes/inches than anything else.

Thanks to both of you.  Laurie, are you worried about losing another 16 pounds?  I'm almost the same height and I'm the same age as you.  You said you lost 12 pounds after the surgery, was that from all the skin and fat they took out, or was that just on your own?

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm really nervous about this and you guys are helping me feel a little better.

No, I am not worried (I'm excited) about losing another 16 pounds. I was 178 the day of surgery. They physically removed 12 pounds and replaced it with fluid that your body filters through so I weighed in at 178 the day after so it took my body several weeks to lose the water weight. I still have my thighs to do which are probably a good 6 lbs. So an 10 additional pounds other than that is not that daunting to me and won't make much if any of a difference in skin laxity. What I would say is follow your surgeon's recommendations because every body is different. My surgeon could tell that I had lost my fat, did not need any lipo, and had good solid muscle tone underneath. Remember though that losing weight afterwards is not guaranteed. It seems like from what I have read here and on other sites, that most generally remain at their pre-surgery weight. I think I lost the weight for 2 reasons: my body needed to lose the weight and I put the work in:)

And who knows maybe when my body adjusts  after losing my fluid from this surgery, I would be lower than 166 anyway..... 

With my implants and breast lift I slept on my back for probably 2 months. I wanted the tissue around my implants completely healed before sleeping on my side. My implants didn't need to drop. Not sure if that's because I had a lift at the same time? They have stayed in exactly the same place. It took about 6 weeks for the swelling to go down.

• 4 weeks later...

Were you given instructions on how to massage? (Break down scar tissue ) this was given to me on my 3 or 4 week appointment I think? Was very helpful,  somewhat painful the first couple times but really helped drop the implant that was sitting much higher than the other.