Julie_T

My hair is falling out

I know it's normal.  But I am taking Biotin and Zinc and being pretty successful with meeting my protein goals every day so it is disheartening.

Does it come back?  How long does it take to get it back? 

Am I now doomed to live saggy, wrinkly, and bald but thinner??  lol!  It's still worth it but....

It is very common to start losing hair around month 3 post and normally it slows falling out around month 6-9.  I am 10 months post and while I still have some falling out, it is getting to be less and less.  It is something most all successful WLS patients face.  There is nothing that you can do to really counter act it.

A grand lot of us lose hair - and often starting about 4 months.  It is luck of the draw.  Either it is in your cards to lose it, or it isn't.  The condition is called Telogen Effluvium and it is a physiological reaction to the stress/trauma of surgery.  Its the same concept as when women sometimes lose hair after childbirth -  its a stress of the body.

Protein is your number one defense.  Get your protein in.  You can take supplements like Biotin and Silica which may help.  Topical treatments like Rogaine, shampoos or conditioners only promote new growth; they do not prevent loss.  I do all of the above things since the near beginning (protein, biotin, shampoo/conditioner) and I lost from month 4 through month 10 regardless.  That is, unfortunately, just my luck!

Yes it grew back - new growth was noticeable after I stopped focusing at the amounts that were coming out.  Granted my first year post op was a long time ago now - but today nearing 3 years post op my 'new growth' is below my ears at least and just started to get trimmed when I get the rest done.

Protein will get you your hair back. And biotin will make it thicker when it returns. The stress of surgery is enough to make it fall out for alot of us. I have had three surgeries since my bypass and I lose after each of them. I did for prior surgeries and unexpected death in the family. It grows back. Sometimes with a different color or a different texture, for me. 

Sorry to be the downer on this subject, but I seem to be the odd one out here. I had a TON of hair before WLS, but started losing it by the handful in month 3 post op. I continued to lose it for a few months and then it did slow down. However... it did not come back the same. I get all my supplements, all my protein, I take Biotin and watch my iron (I get anemic easy) yet... with doing all that I am supposed to, it has not come back the same. I started using Rogaine foam and a little came back and the extreme fall out stopped, but it is not the same.

I've just started losing my hair to.  Am I worried about it? Nope!  It happens.  The only thing about losing hair that worries me is we are coming into a very hot summer and if my hair gets too thin I'm worried about sunburn on my head and melanomas.  If thats the case I'll just have to start wearing hats and scarves

I don't mind losing the hair on my head (half gone anyway, yay male pattern baldness).

I don't want to lose my beard though. :unsure:

I don't want to lose my beard though. :unsure:

Lol.  I suspect the beard is safe.  I would like my legs to be less hairy but that hasn't changed a bit but the hair on my head sure has thinned noticeably.:(

I lost a lot of hair but I started out with pretty thick hair. It was actually kind of nice because it didn't take me long to straighten it!

Most of it has grown back in but now I have these baby hairs that are half the length of the rest of my hair in the back, lol.

One thing I have noticed that helps a lot is that I don't use shampoo anymore, I just use conditioner unless my hair is really bad from being by a campfire or swimming or something. Conditioner has cleansers in it and I actually can't believe how much healthier my hair is and that it doesn't feel like I didn't use shampoo. And I don't see as much hair coming out in the shower.

Lol.  I suspect the beard is safe.  I would like my legs to be less hairy but that hasn't changed a bit but the hair on my head sure has thinned noticeably.:(

Isn't it strange? Why can't my mountain man worthy brows (which get waxed religiously) fall out, or my leg hair? The body, it is rude. ;)

I lost a lot of hair but I started out with pretty thick hair. It was actually kind of nice because it didn't take me long to straighten it!

Most of it has grown back in but now I have these baby hairs that are half the length of the rest of my hair in the back, lol.

One thing I have noticed that helps a lot is that I don't use shampoo anymore, I just use conditioner unless my hair is really bad from being by a campfire or swimming or something. Conditioner has cleansers in it and I actually can't believe how much healthier my hair is and that it doesn't feel like I didn't use shampoo. And I don't see as much hair coming out in the shower.

I only shampoo every three days, unless I've been extra sweaty. Saves heaps of money!

I had really thick hair and it started falling out within the first two weeks of surgery.   Starting taking Biotin at around the 6 month out and the hair loss stopped.   Not sure if it was the Biotin or my body adjusting or perhaps a combination of both.   Hair is beginning to thicken again and I actually like it the way it is now.   Before surgery, I got my hair thinned at every haircut.   Just give it time and I think as your body adjusts it will get better.

Edited by ThrillBill

I've always had very thin, fine, stringy straight, oily hair - it's hideous really.  But when my thyroid blew it affected my hormones which affected my hair.  My hair got very thick and got as kinky curly.  To the point I looked like Bozo for a little while.  But then when they started treating the hypothyroidism it started straightening and thinning through time.  But this is crazy stuff happening. 

I hope this passes and it thickens up some.

I went through hair loss for several months - then  after I  had emergency surgery in April, this summer it fell out again! It's just finally stopped within the last few weeks. Glad I have a lot of hair to start with.

Edited by cherylm321
fix

I'm gonna get my hair cut quite a bit shorter and see if that helps the look of it.  I sure hope so. 

Plus, I'm gonna keep taking the biotin and zinc.  We'll see if that helps.

I thought it must be a nutrient deficiency after wls that caused the hair loss, but apparently it is the surgical shock to the body that does it.  Apparently, after surgery, your body  diverts the proteins and iron to healing. 

Argh!

Like Jolls said, it's pretty much the luck of the draw and how your body deals with stress.  If you're gonna lose, your gonna lose, if you aren't, you aren't.  I was one of the lucky ones.  Other than getting my protein and taking my multivitamins I didn't do anything different...no biotin, zinc, rogain, etc.... and I never lost a strand of hair.  I was totally prepared for it especially with the double whammy stress of a C. diff infection from a dental procedure 2 months after surgery.  Recovery from having Diarrhea for 2 months was way worse than surgery.  My plan was to shave my head and wear hats.  I already had people asking me if I had cancer because of my weight loss.  The shaved head would have really completed that rumor .

I have super fine thin naturally curly hair, too, so any loss would have been significant.  Instead my hair is currently longer and healthier than it's ever been.  No split ends and no frizziness.  I figure that's due to more protein and better overall nutrition than I ever had before surgery.  So hopefully your hair will come back better than before in the long run.

Everyone seems to be different with this issue.  Mine started falling out at about 6 months out.  I just cut it all off and rocked the shortest hair cut I have ever had.  I take Biotin every day along with my other vitamins and the hair has now a year and a half later begun to come back in.  It's coming back thick and curly!  I never had curly hair in my life and so styling it is a bit of a challenge - but that's OK

We have all gone through this.  I had a hard time with it.  It does come back.  Mine is growing back now but it is a different texture if that makes an sense.  Just keep doing what you are going.  It will be ok.  I never got an bald spots or anything like that.