Sue Dohnim

Sue's Melting!

As a recap, when I first visited my surgeon, I was at 316. About three or so weeks before surgery, I'd dropped into Twoterville, weighing in at the hematologist's office at 299. That means I was probably around 290 at the time of surgery, and at the post-op visit, I came in at 277. I've had some nice, steady drops in weight, nothing outrageous.

I dropped the in-house help with my son after three weeks - they were just sitting around bored, I hated the merry-go-round of strangers, and I hated the restrictions put on me by having to race back to the house after my son's therapies to meet them. I did fine... but I'm also a big believer in lifting heavy things carefully and correctly anyway. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone - YMMV.

Okay, so I saw the doc last week. I'd dropped another 16 pounds, so 55 pounds total since starting this journey, and he's happy with that (so am I!). My severely low iron levels are creeping up, but not as much as he'd like to see when someone's on iron replacement therapy; "I don't know what they're going to do with you," he commented. "Shoot me?" I replied. I didn't get this way overnight, and know the likely culprit, so I imagine it's going to take more than six weeks to fix it. My hematologist already told me on my last visit that I'm going to likely be forwarded to an endocrinologist. It'll be dealt with.

I like that so far I'm not dropping crazy amounts of weight. That'll come later, I suppose.

I struggle some days with water, though not to the point I get dehydrated (thanks, SF popsicles!), but I'm always struggling with protein. Shakes in any form repel me - whey, egg, soy, with regular milk or almond milk, whatever, doesn't matter - blergh. However, seeing that I've had no problem with chicken, turkey, lean ground beef, and eggs, I'm working my way back up. Doc said I'm doing fine with the meat/poultry, though it's a bit early, as long as I'm careful and don't push it. I don't. I had chicken noodle soup yesterday, and I had no problem ignoring the noodles. My 'dump' issue is with some SF stuff - some folks here refer to the sugar alcohol problems and I think I have the same thing. Milk and other dairy products seem to be hit and miss, which is better than the beginning when they were making me outright feel like crap. Iced tea tastes funny still, which makes me sad - I love iced black tea (unsweetened! I drive my Southern friends nuts by saying good tea doesn't need sweetener). Can't touch coffee (*sniff!*), though my local mom and pop coffee place has a fantastic mint tea, so that works.

I like that my clothes are looser; I am wearing things I haven't worn for a few years, and it might just be that, when it cools off some more, I can fit into my jeans without the lower half of my body looking like a blue-tinted sausage. My face is a little thinner - it's the first thing my husband noticed. I can already touch my toes again. I can fold my legs up and clip my toenails like I used to. My wedding band is looser. I feel better, I'm moving better. And I'm glad I timed the surgery when I did - 1) when we go to the Land of Cactus and Flies for Christmas, I won't need a belt extender (!!!JOY!!!), and 2) by the time our new house is done, I'll be a dynamo. I like this progress very much.

But the bummer is that during this past week - six and a half weeks post surgery - my hair started to fall out. {{Sigh}} Not in big handfuls, but definitely noticeable. I started taking biotin pills... I figure that it can't hurt the new growth that'll come in soon enough; the upside is that I'm growing fantastic fingernails!

Sounds like overall you are doing really well! Congratulations! You will be a dynamo before you know it!

Sounds like things are going well, congrats on your progress.

Sounds like you are doing fine. Just take one day at a time and remember the big picture.

I've been slowly experimenting... knowing how finicky sleeves can be, I've been apprehensive, although according to my surgeon's schedule I'm cleared to try everything.

Chicken and beef and turkey, YAY. Well-drained and dabbed in paper towels, crispy bacon is great in tiny, cautious amounts (because of fat content, not sleeve reaction). Edamame, yes! Eggs (which can be hit or miss according to posts around here) - yes! Sunflower and pumpkin seeds - yes! All this means I can cram in protein in different ways. Hallelujah!

Cheese is still hit or miss. Haven't dared to try straight milk again since my first experiment. Peanuts may have caused a semi-dump, so I'll back off of that for a bit.

Slowly introducing veggies - had tiny amounts of carrot, spinach, and lettuce last week - all good! That means I can have salad again! WOOHOO

Carefully tried a shredded chicken quesadilla (wound up eating the insides after the couple of small bites to be safe)... YES!

Had a couple of Saltines, they went down fine, no problems, but felt guilty after. Just wanted the crunch since I haven't worked up the courage to go to raw veggies as my schedule tells me I can. I've avoided puking so far and I'd like to keep it that way.

You just don't know how good the simple stuff is until you are forced to do without. I practically cried when I ate lettuce and had no problems. ;)

Another five pounds gone after my hematologist visit on Wednesday (11/4)! Down 60!

Good news: my iron and hemoglobin levels are on the upswing. Let's hope they stay that way!

Edited by Sue Dohnim

I still have trouble with meat most of the time, but sometimes it's okay. Cheese and dairy is my primary source of protein. We all have to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I love your posts Sue.  Very encouraging for me...and funny!  Great job!

Donna

My hematologist visit was today (anemia issues that existed pre-op), and my weight is... 226! That's thirty pounds down since my last visit back in November, not bad! My ticker will tell you that I'm down a total of 90 pounds from when I started this journey, with 60 to go.

As I said in the NSV thread, I walked for a mile or so yesterday and didn't bat an eyelash. I could NOT have done that six months ago. I was so jazzed by that milestone!

I feel better physically and mentally, have more energy... and I like how clothes are baggy on me. I'm not quite ready to dump the 3x stuff because it still "fits" and therefore not wasting money, but it's nice to actually look at the lower end of the plus sizes.

I'm losing weight in weird places, but it's all good. My face and neck are definitely thinner, I don't have the protruding belly anymore, I think my butt is smaller, I can see the tendons in my hands again, my wedding ring is loose, my forearms look normal again, but I think I'm developing "bingo wings." I'm probably going to have to buy a new bra here in the next six weeks or so - that new bra I bought back in November is already on its tightest hook and slipping. After yesterday's walk, I bent down and touched my toes to stretch - VICTORY!! Awww yissssssss!!!

My diet is relatively normal - meats, veggies, fruits, cheeses. I nosh on nuts a lot when the snackies catch me. I avoid pasta (when my mother in law made her legendary lasagna for Christmas, I ate the filling out of it - YUM), but occasionally have a baked potato with butter, but only after I eat my protein and veg; I avoid potatoes otherwise. I had one single Goldfish yesterday and while the taste is still as good as I remember, I didn't care for another. I have an aversion to the protein shakes these days, so sweet, ugh. My one indulgence is the tiny organic popcorn packet from HEB - satisfies the crunch factor, keeps the salt and crap down.

I had leftover quinoa (cooked with half water, half chicken broth) with toasted almonds for breakfast this morning, but alternate that with Special K with protein with a touch of milk, and oatmeal made with milk topped with walnuts. I also found an oatmeal mix at Sprouts that has chia and quinoa in it, and I like that a lot, too. Every once in awhile I'll do a hard boiled egg, but I'm not a big fan of eggs, really. But I do sorta like them hardboiled, and tolerate them.

A surprising problem cropped up today. I had peanut butter on crackers (saltines), followed by an apple. Separately, I've eaten peanuts, saltines, and apples, just not together. But today... OMG, I thought I was going to die. I don't know if I ate the apple too fast, or too much of it, or it was the peanut butter itself (PB for the first time since surgery), but I came *thisclose* to hurling. Not pleasant at all. Why? Why did such a simple snack turn turtle on me? Hmmm.

Sugar free popsicles still keep helping me stay hydrated - my biggest challenge is water, still. I don't have any problem drinking water, it's just ... bleh. I do have iced tea (unsweetened) and in my mornings I have hot mint tea.

I continue to have dumping problems with artificial sweeteners. My MIL made cookies with Stevia - supposedly a natural alternative - and while they tasted great, oh man, did it give me the worst stomach cramps and dumping!! What a miserable experience. So, when I have my hot tea, I make sure to grab the little packets of regular sugar, not the canister that you pour from. If it's a small tea, one teaspoon; if large, two. That way I know exactly how much sugar I'm ingesting. Strangely enough, with iced black tea, I don't use any sugar at all - I drive my Southern friends crazy by telling them good tea doesn't need sweetening. ;)

So yeah - good update here. I see my bariatric doc next month, so I'll update again there. 

WOOTWOOT :D 

You sound like you're doing great, both physically and mentally. Keep it up. :)

You are doing great!  

It is strange how some foods bother some people, while they do not bother other people.  For me, peanut butter on wheat thins is my favorite high protein snack.