Jolls

Bite me! Oh, and be hydrated...

Today I would like to bring to the forefront the awesomeness of Camelbak water bottles.  Specifically - the straw bottle (also known as bit valve). Straw straw straw straw.  They are not the devil and yes you can use them.  I encourage you to use them!  I encourage you specifically to use the Camelbak one!   

It wasnt until 8 months post op that I was introduced to the Camelbak straw bottle and boy did my life change after that.  Instead of setting a timer to remind myself to drink and barely, if even, getting in fluid goal - I now was sucking down 64-80oz of just water easily and without much thought or effort.  

By sitting with the bottle bite valve between my teeth and slowly - steadily drawing from the straw, I can suck the whole bottle down in literally minutes without even noticing it's gone that quick or any discomfort.   Now I will note I do not have trouble with liquids in general - I can take several gulps in succession and have never found a limit (nor tried to) of how much my sleeve will take. 

image.thumb.jpeg.645962c0bcb2b6aa5c36738

Here I am nearing three years later and I still marvel at how much fluid I I take during the day with this bottle.  I have two types as you can see from the picture.  The bite valve (light purple) and the Chute (dark purple).   I drink far far more from the straw bottle then I do from the chute bottle.  The only reason I have the chute version really is because I walk outside in the winter and the straw freezes making it useless - so I need that open mouth bottle.  The straw also tends to leak (some sort of random pressure issue I've never been able to figure out) sometimes so I don't like taking it with me on over night stays as I've had it leak my red crystal lite on someone's carpet. 

The chute bottle also has a wider and more comfortable carrying hole so I've been using it a lot lately on my hour walks.  I usually drink the whole bottle on my walks but as it gets cooler and cooler here in MN, I also drink less. Tonight I decided to take the straw bottle with me and suddenly realized a little over half way through my walk I almost had polished off the whole bottle of water!  So again - I drink far more water from the straw bottle then any other bottle, cup, glass or mug. 

If you haven't tried one, consider heading to Amazon and getting one!  Or Target, I've bought them there too. If it helps you get your fluids in as much as it has for me, you never really have to worry about hydration again!   If you don't want to buy a water bottle that is okay too - but get a straw still!

PS - I have one 32oz straw bottle, two 32oz chute bottles, one 18oz insulated bottle and I had two 20oz straw bottle that I've now given 1 to my dad and 1 to a friend when her Camelbak died.  The chute and straw caps are interchangeable so if you currently have a bite valve and want/want to try a Chute - you can buy just the Chute lid and swap it out (or vice versa).

Edited by Jolls

Jolls, I LOVE my Camelbak bite valve. My NUT was very against it, but like you, as soon as I started using it last week, I now have no problem getting 50+ oz just at work. 

I have used a straw since day one and my camel back or a sports valve is how I drink probably 80% of my liquids. I have an unhealthy obsession with Ikea (no-bend) straws. My husband bought me 3600 for my birthday and I got weepy because he knows me so well!

I am a big fan of straws too. I don't like the bite valve water bottles but I love my Camelback Chute. It doesn't leak. No matter what. Upside down in my purse all day and not a drop leaked. 

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order one today.

Thanks for this - I struggle with getting in my water each day both from post-op water aversion and a weird difficulty with drinking without a straw. Frustrating because I pre-op I drank so much water and never had any issues.

I definitely get in my fluids more easily when I use my Camelbak bottles. Like Jolls I have a variety of sizes, and yes, they can leak  :o

I also got a Bubba Bottle which I like a lot. It can leak too. Ugh.

But getting in the fluids is worth it-I went on a road trip last weekend and put regular bottled water in my purse with Powerade Zero flavor drops in it. Without that straw, I noticed I was hardly drinking anything! I felt like I was taking it out for a swig constantly-but without a straw I was really just getting a very small sip.

My doc said don't use a straw due to air getting into my pouch.  I know a lot of people who do use them with no problem, but honestly I get to much air on my belly if I use them.  Makes me burp a lot and hurt.  The only time I will consider using a straw is in a restaurant.

Due to my udder hatred of warm water I use a tervis tumbler with ice and a pack of grape propel and I am able to drink down my water.  I have several large tervis in different styles for my mood - love them.

The most important thing is to use whatever we can to get our water in!

I definitely get in my fluids more easily when I use my Camelbak bottles. Like Jolls I have a variety of sizes, and yes, they can leak  :o

I also got a Bubba Bottle which I like a lot. It can leak too. Ugh.

But getting in the fluids is worth it-I went on a road trip last weekend and put regular bottled water in my purse with Powerade Zero flavor drops in it. Without that straw, I noticed I was hardly drinking anything! I felt like I was taking it out for a swig constantly-but without a straw I was really just getting a very small sip.

Yes exactly!  I seem to always be swigging from the Chute on my walks and yet barely any is gone....  switch to the bite valve and its gone without me even realizing in no time.

I use Bubba Kegs too, especially when out of town.  I really do not like warm water at all;  and the Bubba Kegs will hold ice virtually all day and most the night.  I have the 32oz and the 56oz bubba kegs  :)   I do drink from those very well too, even with no straw, away from home.  When I use them at home I don't drink out of them as much... its pretty odd.

My doc said don't use a straw due to air getting into my pouch.  I know a lot of people who do use them with no problem, but honestly I get to much air on my belly if I use them.  Makes me burp a lot and hurt.  The only time I will consider using a straw is in a restaurant.

Due to my udder hatred of warm water I use a tervis tumbler with ice and a pack of grape propel and I am able to drink down my water.  I have several large tervis in different styles for my mood - love them.

The most important thing is to use whatever we can to get our water in!

You are quite honestly the only person I have EVER seen claim this.  It is really odd because by design, its less air then gulping from an open container/glass.

I'm with you Jolls…that bottle changed my habit.  This issue comes up all the time at our local support group.  The NUT leading the group cringes every time someone in the group says… "use the straw".  Funny… this subject usually comes after some version of the "follow the plan" discussion.  Yes, follow the plan but use a straw!  LOL.  

I use Bubba Kegs too, especially when out of town.  I really do not like warm water at all;  and the Bubba Kegs will hold ice virtually all day and most the night.  I have the 32oz and the 56oz bubba kegs

This is my only issue with Camelbak.  I have one at my desk, actually.  But I use the Bubba more because it will hold ice.  I might have to go back to the Camelbak for a while though, I have to figure out how to routinely hit more fluids in a day than I do.  I had a stomach virus last weekend and it's been like starting all over again getting the fluids in. 

I put ice in my Camelbak sometimes-and add one of those can insulators to keep it chilled. My Bubba is only 20-something ounces, but is thermal with a straw. I use that at home mostly. On bike rides I take my Camelbak back pak-it holds 2 liters - awesome! !

I hoard water bottles. I'm so picky because I want one with a straw that I can fit my hand into so I can clean it all the way to the bottom of the bottle. I had a Camelbak but I got extremely grossed out by how nasty the straw got after a while. Plus it kinda hurt my teeth/jaw to constantly be biting on it. The closest I've gotten to my perfect water bottle is a Contigo bottle with a straw. But that's not very transportable. The straw is stiff (not bendable) and there's no handle/loop so I can't take it with me on a walk. 

So my search continues...

I get the variety if bottles for a variet if uses.  I also use both a long water bottle brush and a baby bottle brush that also has a nipple brush to keep my various styles clean.  The bottle brush is a combination of brush and dense foam and has a really king flexible handle. 

Yes cleaning the bite valve is very annoying;  another reason I started to gravitate to using the Chute or my Bubbas more....cause I'm lazy and don't want to rinse it out every time night.  (yes I know I'm gross)    But man, there is just no denying I drink considerably more with that bite valve so I need to just deal with these "annoyances".  Oh to have third world problems, right?  :P

My doc and nut told me to avoid straws because of gulping air. If you pour water into your mouth you are less likely to swallow air because you expel it when you close your mouth. I admit, i use one now and then when eating out, but I prefer using my canteens that just have a bottle type opening. I have noticed that if I do use a straw, I tend to burp quite a lot, so it has led me to believe my doc was right. 

Maybe it has to do with a difference between a bypass and a sleeve? Dunno, but happy that you have found a way to get your fluids. 

Air is in your mouth when you close it, it is there when you swallow it.  A straw you are only intaking fluid, no air as the straw is within liquid.  The bite valve even less.  I've seen a ton and a ton and a ton and a ton of people who benefit from straws and never a single person who had problems (until that one person up above) - doesn't matter the surgery.   But clearly if it causes you issues - you shouldn't be using it, that's a no brainer  hehehe

BugDocmom did research for us on it (in her medical resources - not google) and can find nothing to support the claim btw.  http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/92638-straws-forbidden-by-my-surgeon-anyone-still-use-them/?do=findComment&comment=1040778

I use a camelback back pack on long distance motorcycle rides (300-700 mile days) to stay hydrated. You can find ice and bottled water at every gas stop. I've got a two liter and 4 liter version and the hose and bite valve aren't difficult to get under my full-face helmet. I replace the bite valve every year or so, parts are easy to find at places like REI. Ice lasts for several hours, even on 85 degree days. It makes a huge difference to my riding comfort, as does my helmet mounted audio system, for music, comm gear, phone, and GPS directions. Nothing like music to change your mood for the better.

I bought two Camelbak Eddy's with the bite valve from Amazon after reading this and so far they are great! I keep one at work and one at home. After getting used to biting and drinking at the same time, they really do help me get my water in. I've not had any issues with leaking as long as I remember to drain the water out of the bite thingy (bite without sucking). :)

I have a camelback bite valve too but I have been using a new hydro flask, which you can get a straw lid for.  I love because it's insulated, I like my water cold, and it doesn't sweat.  The camelback is about 1/2 the price though :unsure:

The Camelbak I ordered on Amazon after reading this post delivered a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is......where have you been all my life?!?!?! I can't believe how much more water I'm drinking using this bottle! I don't know if it's because you don't have to tip the bottle to take a sip or because of how little air gets in when I drink out of it. Either way, it works great. Thanks Jolls!

I do wish that bariatric programmes would get their act together and start promoting the use of straws and bottles with a bite valve.

The single biggest issue post-surgery is struggling to get enough fluids in and across the board, a bite valve can help enormously because all that sip-sip-sip thing generates a lot of internal gas.

If anyone is still sitting on the fence about spending money on something like CamelBak, hit Walmart (or like) and grab a toddlers sippy cup with a bite valve.  It'll make life a whole lot easier. 

I haven't tried a bite valve, but yes, I get SO much more water in when I use a straw. I use a tervis tumbler with a lid and then a regular disposable straw. 

I have a bite camelback. It was okay for a while but went back to my Bubba mugs which is what I need.

the buppa's dont sweat and they hold a lot of ice.

I have a bite camelback. It was okay for a while but went back to my Bubba mugs which is what I need.

the buppa's dont sweat and they hold a lot of ice.

My Bubba bottle has been sweating lately. I don't know why...bummer. Don't have a dishwasher in this old house, so that can't be the problem.