tmcgee

Does anyone else not enjoy eating anymore?

I struggle with getting enough food in every single day. While I do consider it a blessing, I ate everything in sight for 63 years. Some days I truly have to force myself, and I often throw away more than half of the very small meals I've prepared. Physically, I enjoy continued success with being the weight I am, but psychologically, it weighs on me.

Comments are quite welcome!

I I definitely enjoy the things I choose to eat. But I rarely get hungry, and sometimes nothing sounds good even when I know I need to eat. If that make sense. 

Even when I do enjoy my food, I fill up crazy fast. To the point of being extremely uncomfortable after eating very little.

Some days (like today) I have no appetite and when I try to eat, I can only eat a few bites at a time. On those days, I try to drink 2 shakes so that I get 60g of protein. I rarely enjoy eating but I don't dislike it either. It's kind of like washing my hair and brushing my teeth. I do it everyday because it needs to be done but I don't enjoy or dislike it.

I don't enjoy eating as much as I used to.  Some days I forget to eat regularly, which isn't good for me as I either suffer a hypo or something else.

There is food I enjoy, the problem is deciding what I want to eat at times.  Good. Example is I needed a snack this afternoon and just couldn't decide on what I wanted.  It wasn't that nothing sounded good, and it wasn't because everything sounded good, I had no tastes in particular making the decision very very tough.  I needed up having some pumpkin yogurt with a bit of granola (a literal toss of the coin) and it tasted great, but so would have a Quest bar or anything else.

Oh how I suffer.  :)

I love cooking and that includes making cheesecakes and chocolate gateaux etc. etc. but eating no longer has the appeal for me that it did pre-WLS and I don't even bother to taste those things.

I suspect that it's a combo of not eating the high carb, rich foods or the sugary pies and cakes etc., along with not having that comforting, stuffed feeling - you know, the carb coma thing that I loved.  Now, one bite too much and it hurts!

Do I regret it?  Not one bit.  I wouldn't swap the life that I have now for anything.

Edited by cinwa

Do I regret it?  Not one bit.  I wouldn't swap the life that I have now for anything.

I have no regrets either, except that I wish I liked eating more things. My short list of things I truly do like is sweet corn on the cob and high fiber cereal with frozen berries and skim milk. Sometimes I enjoy fish, though not always.

Eating to me  is like  going to work! Somedays, I love it and complete everything on my to do list. Other days, not so much.  I can say that I am no longer married to food! We are now just friends with benefits! 

1. Some days are a definite chore.  If I see the scale go down I force myself to eat more.  I don't like hamburger.  Pork is ok.  Chicken is my go to.  I can do more with it..

Most days I enjoy my food- But I max out at 2 ounces. 

I never thought eating would be a job. Most things I eat do not taste good or feel good. Some days I am taking in under 500 calories. The reason for surgery was because I loved eating. Now sometimes I can't imagine eating anything. Protein drinks are my go to on those days. Today I cooked and only took a taste no meal for me.

I'm only about 6 weeks out but so far there are many days where eating is work. One of my biggest problems is that I don't get hungry the way I used to before surgery and if I'm not paying close attention to time, I wait too long to eat and get really physically hungry. It's a shaky and uncomfortable feeling. I get seriously hangry and eating becomes a bit urgent.

Before the surgery I had an absolutely monstrous appetite and getting used to my tiny stomach post-op was a major adjustment. I didn't do a very good job of judging fullness and I've learned that if I have even one bite too many, I pay for it big time. I have to be mindful of the physical signals of fullness and put the fork down.

Edited by Jabsie

I usually don't feel like eating in the morning. I keep it simple and sometimes just opt for a protein shake. I do enjoy eating at times but the things I miss would be bad for me so it is a good trade off.

I couldn't care less if I ever ate again.... I seriously didn't think this would happen to me after surgery. The smells of food the loss for sugar or sweets cravings.  I can look at something and think " yum that looks good" but it's the old brain because tasting it is a whole different story and if I bring leftovers home and try again later, forget it.... it  tastes slightly "old" not as fresh as the minute I ordered it, it no longer tastes the same. 

Yesterday was my son's 13th birthday but also homecoming for my 16 year old daughter so because of lack of time I grabbed him a pre made chocolate cake I tried a small I mean SMALL 1"×1" piece and within minutes I had my first "dumping" experience. .... just forget it... it's too much work. I'll eat on schedule with my boring 3 items I can eat and be done with it. 

P.S I know it's early for me to be trying cake! Any size but try telling that to your kids... I did it for the kid people!  ;-)

This question was very interesting to me, I especially wanted to see the replies of folks who have been post-honeymoon for quite some time. That, honestly, is what I worry about the most- that I'll be out of the honeymoon, and end up back where I was/am. I mean I KNOW you have to deal with your food issues and that the surgery is a tool, and you have to do the work. I am completely ready for it. But Tom you have mentioned many times that you don't get hungry much anymore, don't desire food often, and honestly-- many times I thought to myself "I hope my surgery does that to me".  As far as my relationship with food goes, the happiest time for me in the last 15 years, was when I was on Phentermine. That 6 weeks that I was on it before my body started building a resistance to it, was bliss. It was simply wonderful to not think about food at all, and to eat only because I had to stop and make myself.

I know WLS is not a magic bullet. And I know I'm not really qualified to say some of this, not having had it yet (I'm working on it!). But my life has brought me to the point where I think I would be happy giving up most of my "enjoyment" of food if it meant that food never again could do to me what it has done to me. 

That probably sounds a little whacked, I know :-)  It's just what's been on my mind.

Thanks for posting this interesting topic Tom.

Last time I lost 135 pounds, it was phentermine for me as well. It did take 20 years to gain it back, and that's when I knew I couldn't do it again without help. Lord knows, I tried, over and over again.

I had a very hard time eating enough food the first year. I just wasnt very hungry, filled up after a couple bites, ate mainly protein. Lived the first year terribly constipated all the time. Metamucil and supositories were my best friend.

I'm just over 2 yrs out now. I am eating a wide variety of foods now, carbs included. I just don't over eat. I fill up fast. My weight has plateaued but thats ok. Surgeon says i have 25lb of loose skin so I am at a good weight now he thinks. My constipation is totally gone now. That makes me really happy! 

I don't enjoy it like I used to, for sure. That warm, soft, stuffed-and-satisfied feeling doesn't exist anymore. Even when I feel full, it doesn't feel like *that* anymore. Now it just feels uncomfortable. The only food that really tastes good to me right now is meat. Sweet things gross me out, which is crazy because I have always adored sweets. I can't stand my protein shakes at the moment, but that's okay, because every meal lately is pureed meat and sometimes some cottage cheese, so my protein intake is still good even without the shakes. Did anyone else totally lose their taste for sweet things and or suddenly crave meaty, umami flavors?

I stopped liking sweets after surgery. I do eat a bite or two of ice cream once in awhile, and that's a long way from eating half a gallon, like I used to eat once in awhile.

1. Going out to eat is another thing.  On the menu is only about 1-2 things that aren't fried or all carbs so there isn't much choice.  And I can make a grilled chicken breast at home!  Hubby ends up with my leftovers for lunch the next day..

I have been lamenting for the last two weeks that eating is no fun anymore.  nothing tastes good or else it hurts.  if I go too long without eating I do feel hungry but it takes a long time.  the only thing that appeals to me is yogurt.  it is the only thing that tastes good.  I tried deviled eggs yesterday.  nope.  they weren't bad.  just not really good the way they used to be.  last week I made a ground beef, black bean, corn Mexican type casserole.  again it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.  most of it will be going in the trash tonight.  (pick up tomorrow).  most of the time when I want to eat, I can't think of a thing that I want to eat.  cheese and yogurt don't hurt so they are my go to's.  also protein shakes and quest bars. 

I actually just gave away a brand new bag of protein powder with just one scoop taken out because it was gagginly sweet.  I was sorely disappointed.  the reviews on amazon.com were great. 

I don't miss the way I felt fat, but I do miss liking food. 

I also find reading all of these responses super interesting. Personally, I am thrilled with my lack of hunger, and hope it never finds me again. 

I was thinking about this a lot the last two night though, because nothing has really sounded appetizing to me lately. Maybe it's the pregnancy, I don't know. As soon as I go to eat something, I feel so full, and just not satisfied.

The one thing that has been my go-to this last week is egg drop soup. I am keeping our Chinese delivery place in business :) It feels so comforting and yummy, but again, I fill up so fast. I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

I go through spells of enjoying food and hating it.  Right now I am on a spell of I hate meat.  I am having to work really hard to get protein in, I am only wanting fruits and veggies.  Made a killer vegetarian lasagna the other night that was heaven.

I go through spells of enjoying food and hating it.  Right now I am on a spell of I hate meat.  I am having to work really hard to get protein in, I am only wanting fruits and veggies.  Made a killer vegetarian lasagna the other night that was heaven.

I am very similar. I go through stages where I can't handle the thought of eating meat. 

I don't enjoy it like I used to, for sure. That warm, soft, stuffed-and-satisfied feeling doesn't exist anymore. Even when I feel full, it doesn't feel like *that* anymore. Now it just feels uncomfortable.

This is a very good description for me. 

I don't dislike eating.  I don't really like it either.  I do not have hunger.  I still want to eat.   Nothing tastes bad.  Nothing tastes all that great either.   Nothing is all that unappealing.  Nothing is super appealing.  I like things.  I don't love things.   Everything is just very middle of the road/on the fence/riding the gray line....