Anxiety/panic after surgery?

I had my bypass on the 29th. Today I spent the whole day having rolling panic attacks and feeling like everything was surreal and frightening. I have been having trouble getting enough fluids, and the fear of hurting my heart or kidneys via dehydration caused the first panic, but after that they just seemed to keep feeding off of themselves.

I was frightened of things I can't even put a name to. At one point I was panicking because I felt like my body wasn't "mine"...like someone had given me someone else's body and my own was somewhere in great danger. (????) I seriously thought I might be hallucinating or something--can dehydration and lack of food do that?? I have been starving for a couple of days now...I am afraid I'm not going to get a honeymoon. Still not allowed any food save for a few sips of protein shakes.

I have been sooo fortunate--this totally came out of nowhere. I have had absolutely no nausea or vomiting, no serious pain, I've been in great spirits since surgery, and today I even had my first post-op bowel movement (yay, proof that my guts still work!). I have no idea what happened to me today. I feel exhausted and weak after all of those panic attacks, and scared that it'll happen again tomorrow. 

It may be wise to get n touch with your bariatric team, and to talk it out with family and friends. The first few weeks were very emotional for me, and I do take an antidepressant and anti panic meds.

Edited by tmcgee

Like Tom said, the first few weeks can be very emotional and filled with feelings of fear of failure, and a myriad of other feelings were often unprepared for.  Have you ever had panic attacks before surgery?  

Brandy I think it normal to feel like that in first time after your surgery... I am readings a lot of posts here and a lot of people feel depressed post op. The best think just like tmcgee suggested to rely on your support team like family and friends. Hopefully you are going to start feeling better soon... It will probably help when you are going to see those pounds melting off you. You will see that it wasn't all for nothing!!!

No panic today, and I am feeling much better and getting lots more fluids in. Maybe my brain just had a chemical meltdown for a day? lol.

What matters is that I am feeling much better now. I have my first post-op appointment tomorrow. I'm really hoping for permission for pureed food. :) 

It is normal somewhat for your hormones to be out of wack and for that to affect your emotional well being early out. I would take it day by day and if you feel this way again talk to your surgeons office about it.