JennaG2014

Have people forgotten you were fat?

This may sound silly, but people in my life are starting to forget that I was ever fat. It has been 4 1/2 years since my bypass. Those people that have known me for about 5 to 8 years are starting to forget I was ever heavy. 

To be honest, I can't remember the last time anyone brought up the subject of me as a puffy person.  I guess they're used to seeing me as a slimmer person now.

And I'm actually glad about that.  For a while it seemed that every time someone spoke to me, it was to tell me I was too thin (and that was even before I got to a normal BMI).

I'm not quite 2 years out so no, people have not forgotten.  In fact, I still get comments like "quit losing, you're skinny enough". The joke's on them....I quit losing a year ago.

LOL!!!  People have forgotten until I show them a picture and they always say I never realized you were that big.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_1358.JPG

Edited by Jodi
add pics

I'm sure no one's forgotten, but they don't bring it up all that much.  Those who never knew me obese have a hard time getting their heads around it if they find out, but other than that I don't hear much about it any longer.

Honestly no idea what anyone remembers.

But I will never forget that I was fat, and how much I hated it. Keeps me focused and realistic about maintaining this new life.

Not yet but I'm only 13 months post op.  A lot of people still comment. My very best friend who's known me pre, during and now after my obese years says I look "back to normal" which is exactly how I feel.  I'm looking forward to my weight being a total nonissue and the way I look now just being "normal".

1. My family told me last year that they couldn't remember the heavy me.  Some days I feel "normal" but other days I still feel like 250 pounds.  My reflection still takes me by surprise at times:)

I am not a year post yet, so no, people are still in the shock and awe faze of Holy Crap you have lost weight.  While I enjoy that right now, it is nice to know that I might just be "normal" one day.  I can barely get it through my head that I am no longer fat - it is even hard to say that.  But, at 144 lbs and wearing a 6 comfortably I am not really fat, or am I?

I ran a golf tournament over the weekend and this is my 7th year doing it....we have the same groups play each year and many of them had not seen me in a year.  They were in shock!!  I also had on a brand new golf shirt (was a little tight for my taste, but still fit appropriately) and a cute new khaki golf skort.  4 of the teams were the guys I work with....I am pretty sure several of them, even though they see me daily, did not realize it was me until I turned around or got close enough.  It was hilarious to watch....but I just played it cool.  Let's just say there were many drinks offered...none taken....but many offered!  I had fun but still stayed very cool and professional.

So I do think many people still remember that I was heavy because it was not that long ago...but I also think many don't realize how much I have actually lost...like Jodi said earlier...."I never realized you were that big!"

That's really my true "goal", not a number on the scale.  I want to be "normal" for so long that it seems like that's the way it's always been.  Don't know when or if, that will happen, but it's what I hope for.

I really dont know if people remember. Now I am known as someone that is committed to health and fitness. I work hard at it and receive many compliments about my dedication to health and maintaing my fitness levels. I am far from perfect, but am committed and I love it.

That's really my true "goal", not a number on the scale.  I want to be "normal" for so long that it seems like that's the way it's always been.  Don't know when or if, that will happen, but it's what I hope for.

Me too. Exactly this.

Yes, people I see on a regular basis tell me they forgot I was fat. It comes up when they come across an old picture. Occasionally someone will email me the pic and say - can you believe it?! I say - yes. I lived it. I will never forget but I'm glad you did!

I am 14 months out. I don't know how I will feel 12 months from now. Right now, I am just starting to feel like a smaller person!  I haven't reached goal and working on it daily. I've been through a lot other surgeries in the last year! I am healing from my last surgery which occurred three weeks ago! I am still trying to find my new normal!  I'm so happy I had WLS surgery!  I just have to get use the improving me!  Some people do talk about the fat me!  I soon will be moving 800+ miles away!  At that point, all people will know is the upcoming new me! 

Edited by LadyFl

Approaching three years post op and while I don't think people have forgotten, it is becoming a distant memory and this "me" is replacing that old image of "me" they had.  What the see now is what their new normal perception is - at least for my family that sees me fairly often.  I still will get some comments how great I've done and great I look but they are dwindling slowly but surely. 

For people that don't see me often, I still get shock and amazement.  I ran into two people I graduated with just the other day while on a walk and neither of them knew who I was...and one of them I was really close friends with throughout high school and a few years after.... The last time I saw her around town (and while still quite fat) she recognized me straight away; this time she had no clue when I called out her name. 

Aside from other people, it is becoming but a memory to even myself!!  No I won't ever forge being 400lbs but when I see old pictures of myself I really have to pause and think about it.  Just like when I was 400lbs I never thought I looked THAT big, now when I look at myself that size it's hard to even look at the reality that was my size.  If that makes any sense. It's almost like it wasn't even me, I am getting very used to the size I now see myself in the mirror. 

Edited by Jolls

. . . Aside from other people, it is becoming but a memory to even myself!!  No I won't ever forge being 400lbs but when I see old pictures of myself I really have to pause and think about it.  Just like when I was 400lbs I never thought I looked THAT big, now when I look at myself that size it's hard to even look at the reality that was my size.  If that makes any sense. It's almost like it wasn't even me, I am getting very used to the size I now see myself in the mirror. 

nope doesn't make any sense at all and I totally get it.  big or small I don't think I ever related to what my actual size was.  right now every time I see my reflection I'm totally surprised.