hthe620110

Losing weight too fast

Hello All, Today I went and seen my Dr, he told me I was losing weight too fast. Now, how am I supposed to slow my weight loss. I am never hungry and I have made a mistake before when I have over ate and vomited it up immediately. Has anyone had their Dr tell them that? Thanks

Was it your surgeon who told you that? If not, I'd just ignore the comment. It seems to me that you're doing great. I'm never hungry either, so totally GET your perspective.

Yes, it was my surgeon. I guess I will need to eat more.

You can eat more frequently or you can incorporate more liquid calories.

106lbs in 6 months as a male - who usually melt quickly.

Now I may not have as much experience as a surgeon who sees probably 1000s of patients a year -  but from what I've seen on these forums I don't think it is THAT fast.   I think you are doing awesome and shouldn't change a thing.  Unless of course you are not feeling well, energy or what not.

If your labs are abnormal, then you might need to slow down to correct the abnormality by eating more or different kinds of food.

He ordered some labs, I will be getting them done today

I am at 5 months and down 106 lbs.  my surgeon is happy with my weight loss.   so am I

Listen to your surgeon....you don't want to lose your muscle mass too fast...

Oh, I am trying. I am down 124 pounds and I have never felt better. I get plenty of protein, matter of fact he said I shouldn't go over 80 grams a day. I told him I have been doing a little more than a 100 a day but with isopure it is really easy with just 2 drinks a day plus and food that I eat. It seems the more protein I consume the more weight I lose.

A surgeon is not a nutritionalist.  As a man of your height should be getting at least 80g of protein, if not more. 

You will not lose muscle mass if you are getting adequate protein and any sort of movement.

I think everyone here might be a little on the protein crazy side, too much protein over a prolonged period of time is going to start damaging your kidneys. I think your doctor is probably giving you solid advice on the protein hthe620110. I'd be more apt to say that you might want to stop with the Isopure, and start grubbing on some real protein sources.

As for your weight loss - it does seem pretty par for the course according to these forums. I know I'm only a little shy of four weeks out, and it's pretty soon after my surgery, but I seem to be rolling along at about ten'ish pounds a week.

I'm aiming for your loss trajectory, doctors approval or not :)

I think your doing great and your loss isn't that different from mine and my surgeon was just fine with my rate of loss.  That said, this would be a good time to move to getting as much protein as possible from food.  That was something my surgeon wanted me to focus starting around 6 months.

It is pretty implausible for a Bariatric patient to get too much protein. 

If you have prior kidney issues then that is where u need to be cautious. Of protein intake. 

I am down 52 pounds in five weeks. I went to first post-op meet with surgeon last week and she is happy. She did increase my protein from 60-80 to 80-100 grams per day.

I have turned into a My Fitness Pal fanatic for tracking calories and protein. I am getting about 1,000  calories a day, give or take 200 calories. If I have a prohydrate in the am and a Syntrax shake made with milk as a 4 pm snack I am at 66 grams and picking up another 30 is not difficult.

Did your doc tell you to eat differently?

No, he just told me to slow down on the protein. I will back it off a little but I can't back it off a lot.