Darmar

Systemic Candida Yeast Infection

12 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Wow, @Aussie Bear

How are you feeling?  Any relief yet?

Unfortunately each day the oral thrush seems to be getting worse despite following all the directions I've been given to the "T". I really do believe it's possible that I'm coughing this up into my mouth from my lungs. According to the Dr I saw the oral treatment breaks down as soon as it comes into contact with stomach acid. All I can do for now is keep doing what I am. I'm pretty sure I'm not cross contaminating via my hands as they're constantly being washed, and I'm changing towels etc with each use. I'm almost living on probiotics and yoghurt. All I can really do now is try to keep it from getting any worse until I see the surgeon in 8 days.

I am so sorry for you, Aussie. Do you feel pretty confident that your surgeon will be able to help you? I hope so. I can only imagine how miserable you must be.

Do you have any applicators for the oral thrush? The look kind of like straws with a sponge on one end. My husband was on a ventilator years ago and got thrush. Seems like we used those swabs to swab his mouth with something very often.

1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

Unfortunately each day the oral thrush seems to be getting worse despite following all the directions I've been given to the "T". I really do believe it's possible that I'm coughing this up into my mouth from my lungs. According to the Dr I saw the oral treatment breaks down as soon as it comes into contact with stomach acid. All I can do for now is keep doing what I am. I'm pretty sure I'm not cross contaminating via my hands as they're constantly being washed, and I'm changing towels etc with each use. I'm almost living on probiotics and yoghurt. All I can really do now is try to keep it from getting any worse until I see the surgeon in 8 days.

oh my goodness....what an ordeal!  I hope you get relief soon

I have no words of wisdom Aussie - I'm truly sorry you're going through such an awful time.  

@Aussie Bear, I'm so sorry you are going through this :( I've never had thrush luckily, but I used to suffer terribly with skin and vaginal yeast infections when my blood sugars were out of control. I can only imagine how you must be suffering. Gentle hugs coming to you.

19 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Sorry you’re going through that! I’ve never had oral thrush myself but when my diabetes gets out of control I do have issues with yeast infections. My friend swears by rinsing with warm salty water when she gets oral thrush. She says using that really helps hers when she has a flare up. Hope you get well soon. 

33 minutes ago, Animalrescuer18 said:

Sorry you’re going through that! I’ve never had oral thrush myself but when my diabetes gets out of control I do have issues with yeast infections. My friend swears by rinsing with warm salty water when she gets oral thrush. She says using that really helps hers when she has a flare up. Hope you get well soon. 

At this point I'll give anything a try....thanks!!!

Thought I'd update for anyone that searches for this problem like I did. It turns out iron deficiency will affect the production of a liver hormone (hepcidin) that is needed to fight the growth of candida albicans,  the cause of yeast infections. Today I was told my iron levels are severely low. For those struggling after gastric bypass with yeast infections it may be worth talking to your doctor about your iron levels. I'm definitely hoping that an iron infusion (once I can organise it) might provide the solution to my ongoing problem. Will update once I've managed to get one.

2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

.......... Today I was told my iron levels are severely low. For those struggling after gastric bypass with yeast infections it may be worth talking to your doctor about your iron levels. I'm definitely hoping that an iron infusion (once I can organise it) might provide the solution to my ongoing problem. Will update once I've managed to get one.

That is  excellent advice Aussie - I have an internet friend who's been struggling with a yeast infection for months.  I've sent her a message about the link between that and iron deficiency.

4 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Thought I'd update for anyone that searches for this problem like I did. It turns out iron deficiency will affect the production of a liver hormone (hepcidin) that is needed to fight the growth of candida albicans,  the cause of yeast infections. Today I was told my iron levels are severely low. For those struggling after gastric bypass with yeast infections it may be worth talking to your doctor about your iron levels. I'm definitely hoping that an iron infusion (once I can organise it) might provide the solution to my ongoing problem. Will update once I've managed to get one.

So glad you've found an avenue to pursue! Best of luck getting the infusion. I hope that it helps - you've been having so many issues :( Now at least you know something you can do to help your situation. Big hugs.

@Aussie Bear I'm so glad you've finally got some answers. It sounds like a logical path to pursue and I hope the infusion helps fast!

On 26/02/2018 at 9:28 PM, Aussie Bear said:

Time for an update. Today is day 6 after my iron infusion. Yeast infection has completely disappeared. I haven't treated the yeast infection with any pharmacy thrush medications for almost 3 weeks. The only additional  medication I was given by my gyn was a vaginal estrogen cream 3 days ago. No more oral thrush, ear infection, genital yeast, plus no more productive cough or abdominal pain. I don't believe the estrogen cream could have cleared all the symptoms,  so I'm putting it down to the iron infusion regardless of the doubting Thomas medical fraternity. Now I just have to hope they won't let my iron levels drop that low again before taking action to raise it.

That's great, Aussie. I am glad that you are finally feeling better.

@Aussie Bear - that is such great news.  You've been on my mind lately, and I'm really glad you're finally getting past the bad stuff!

That's wonderful!

Haven't updated for awhile...probably because I was so annoyed when the candida was back within a couple of days of my last update. Now both my family doctor and the gyn think the ongoing nature of this is due to my hyperinsulinemia aka reactive hypoglycemia. They say candida (thrush) is often a problem associated with diabetes, and reactive hypoglycemia will create a similar environment for a population growth. The gyn changed all the meds suggesting the infection is now resistant to what I was using. Also prescribed metformin to try to lessen the peaks and falls of my blood sugars.....fair dinkum almost anything sets off that up then fall very low blood sugar cycle. It's been less of a problem the last couple of days, but I'm over all the treatments and still have at least  another week of using them.

This issue has really made me think about all those pre-surgery warnings we get regarding complications.....and how many times I've read people say they want "dumping syndrome". It's one thing to think that is just a complication of eating ice-cream or lollies etc, it's a whole other beast when you find out just how much of an impact dumping can have on our systems.....

Aw, @Aussie Bear - I'm so sorry this has flared up again.  It really is an important thing to keep in mind - that not all complications are big ticket things that happen right after surgery and can be fixed right away.  Not as something to scare people off of surgery, but just something to keep in mind when weighing the options.

And it really SUCKS that you don't have diabetes, but still have to take the meds and precautions diabetics do!  OMG, I would be livid.  *HUG*  I hope this at least keeps things in check and clears you up. 

I'm so sorry this has flared back up. And the treatment plan seems frustrating. Hugs.

5 hours ago, Kio said:

Aw, @Aussie Bear

And it really SUCKS that you don't have diabetes, but still have to take the meds and precautions diabetics do!  OMG, I would be livid.  *HUG*  I hope this at least keeps things in check and clears you up. 

I'm not livid....just super frustrated. Had a brain freeze yesterday as my blood sugars have been pretty good for a few days....ate a scone with some butter for afternoon tea without even thinking and when I had a shower later I started feeling the hypo symtons. Took my blood sugar and it was 2.3!!!! (41 in your language) That never augers well for a good night even when I had it back to normal in 15 minutes.