KALINY

How much ALCOHOL is too much for us?

I never drank alcohol before.  After surgery and may social events I started. 1 or 2 glasses on weekends hit me like 5 bottles.

I am starting liking a lot.    I have had half a glass on weekdays.   

is this risky, too much for a by pass patient?  I have been out for 18 months.

It's big trouble for many of us, check out the threads in the addiction transfer section here.

Listen to Tom, the issue is often one of addiction transfer, overdoing Alcohol because our coping mechanism of food is gone.  I wouldn't worry about the calories as much as the other dangers of over drinking.

I'd recommend you do a search on Tom's thread on the subject.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Added to which, although I've never been much of a drinker, I have watched a DS friend turn to alcohol post-op, lose his marriage, driving license and consequently his job to his addiction to alcohol AND recently his access to his children because he refuses to admit that he has a problem.  He was stopped by the police - he had his children in the vehicle.  He was already banned from driving so he's possibly looking at some jail time.  But he still refuses to admit he has a problem!  That is enough for me to never want to drink alcohol.

In response to cinwa, and generally on the topic, I wish I could commit to "never want[ing] to drink alcohol", because:

* way too many calories 

* it is SO tempting

* it is so easy to want more, and more, and ...

My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and he likes a glass of wine once in a while. I'm ok with that, as long as that's all it is, but for me it's so easy to want to drink the hard ciders on the in-between days, more than one of them, and the calories and sugars in them are terrible for me. Alcohol is all too tempting, and if we can just commit to not ever having it we'll be SO much better off. Working on this issue myself, it's hard.

your husband is a recovering alcoholic and he drinks wine???  Never heard of that.

a

About every 3 or 4 months I have a half glass of wine but I can stop and my husband usually finishes mine instead of ordering a 2nd drink for himself.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Edited by Spunkycat

I've never been much of a drinker, that said drinking is a big part of the social side of my job.  I tend to order a bourbon and nurse it all night, never finishing it.  It tastes fine, but it's wasted calories, I'd rather have something with nutritional value if I'm staying in my nutritional daily goals.

2 hours ago, PapaG said:

I've never been much of a drinker, that said drinking is a big part of the social side of my job.  I tend to order a bourbon and nurse it all night, never finishing it.

Your approach makes sense. I've never been a drinker myself, and it's such a non-issue for me that I wonder if I fail to appreciate the social aspects of the activity. I typically drink still water with a twist.

But to the original question of how much is too much, that's 100% individual. For some people having a drink or two on a semi-regular basis is probably okay, whereas for others, one sip may be too much.

Drinking is just like any other food--how much is too much depends on if you have trouble saying no or stopping. Most of us have problems saying no to something--or we wouldn't be on this website. That means we're probably more susceptible than the average person.

If you can have a glass of wine every night but skip a few days and not feel any strong cravings then you're fine. If you have trouble saying no, or you keep drinking more and more, then you need to back off.

It isn't any different than cookies or potato chips. Some people don't have problems consuming in moderation and some have to avoid certain things entirely.

Most of us know people who have a beer a few days every week and are fine, and most of us know people who absolutely can't stop drinking if they start. Be mindful of yourself and figure out which you are. If you do have a problem, stopping early will be easier than stopping later. If you don't have a problem, then be grateful and enjoy it.

I used to enjoy a margarita on our deck in the summer.  I loved bloody Mary's.  Looking back I probably drank way too much.  Now, alcohol makes me ill probably 80-90 per cent of the time.  It's just not worth it.  And I'm flat out drunk if I drink a whole drink.  I just don't need it.  I'm now designated driver if we go out..  Can't get tipsy on water;)

I never was a big drinker (hated that drunk/hangover feeling) and so I don't drink at all now - it's just not worth it to me.  You can certainly be social without drinking - it's actually a lot of fun being the only sober one in the crowd and you don't have to worry about what you might have done the night before.  When I go out I might get a virgin bloody mary which tastes great - but often it's just water with a twist of lemon or lime.

6 hours ago, PatriciaAnn said:

I never was a big drinker (hated that drunk/hangover feeling) and so I don't drink at all now - it's just not worth it to me.  You can certainly be social without drinking - it's actually a lot of fun being the only sober one in the crowd and you don't have to worry about what you might have done the night before.  When I go out I might get a virgin bloody mary which tastes great - but often it's just water with a twist of lemon or lime.

Hah--that's funny, because being the sober person in the room is awful, for me. I don't like drinking that much but I can't stand drunk people if I'm sober. Being a drunk in a room full of drunk people is just fine, though.

6 hours ago, PatriciaAnn said:

Hah--that's funny, because being the sober person in the room is awful, for me. I don't like drinking that much but I can't stand drunk people if I'm sober. Being a drunk in a room full of drunk people is just fine, though.

I am the same way, as an onlooker I get critical of those drinking. Of course when I drink it's fine! (Being hypocritical...)  I can sip on one glass of wine, but after that it just doesn't taste good. I have a friend who did the bypass twice, but binge drinks and gained most back in the tummy! It makes me think twice before even ordering one glass.

Yes, addiction transfer is a problem but it's not the main reason the surgeon tells you no drinking after surgery. Once the stomach has been cut and for RNY people, our intestines have been rerouted, alcohol is not processed the same in our bodies. This leads to higher levels of toxicity and increased strain to organs like our livers. Since most of us have already spent a good amount of time taxing our livers by being obese for so long, adding alcohol into the mix after years of forcing the liver to function under such stress is just too much.  Anyone who says just a half a glass makes them feel like they've had half a bottle, you are right! Here is a research article that talks about this issue and how even with drinking just a little bit, it can put a bypass patient over the legal limit to drive. http://bariatrictimes.com/alcohol-and-the-gastric-bypass-patient/

On 9/21/2015 at 0:08 PM, tmcgee said:

It's big trouble for many of us, check out the threads in the addiction transfer section here.

I decided not to drink at all after the surgery and don't miss it at all - figure it's just safer