Pmk2987

Stomach capacity

It's probably too early for me to ask this question, has  anyone experienced being able to eat more at certain times than others? Today for lunch I had a falafel wrap (a vegetarian meal, made with gabanzo beans) and I ate the whole wrap. It wasn't a large wrap but before I was only able to eat half. Has anyone experienced this? I'm hoping my stomach is not stretching.

I can eat way more in the evening than I can in the morning.  I have to be careful about not grazing late in the day, but I'd still say I get 75% of my calories after 4pm most days.

and it's normal to have less restriction as your surgical swelling goes down, your stomach totally heals and your stomach relaxes. The amount I could eat at 6 months was way more than at 2-3 months and by 12-18 months I could eat twice as much as 6 months....anything from 2-8oz depending on the density of the food.  I haven't stretched my sleeve, it's just part of the process.

That's what makes maintenance so hard....in the long run its almost all about your head and very little about your sleeve.

and it's normal to have less restriction as your surgical swelling goes down, your stomach totally heals and your stomach relaxes. The amount I could eat at 6 months was way more than at 2-3 months and by 12-18 months I could eat twice as much as 6 months....anything from 2-8oz depending on the density of the food.  I haven't stretched my sleeve, it's just part of the process.

That's what makes maintenance so hard....in the long run its almost all about your head and very little about your sleeve.

Presicely what she said.  It gives naturally with time;  it is not really feasible to stretch it.  Not impossible - but you would REALLY have to work at doing so and even then, it will NEVER be as big as it once was.

I'm in my 6th week and although I couldn't/didn't eat most of the pita bread it still bothered/worried me that I finished the entire wrap.  I was so used to the tight restriction, I was thinking what happened. But thanks for your input because that makes alot of sense, with the healing comes less restriction as the swelling goes down. And it is a mental struggle that I constantly have to stay on top of.

I am 8 1/2 months out and I still cannot eat a whole wrap of anything.  But everyone's capacity is different and there is no point in trying to compare.  I know when I am full and then I stop eating, so if you can eat a whole wrap, and your body is okay with it, then go with it! 

My sleeve( I no longer have a stomach) varies from day to day as to how much I can eat. I try to minimize risk of  eating too much because the few times I have have been awful. I personally do not even try to eat bread. It is way too filling and has very little nutrition. If I have to order a wrap or taco because there are no other choices, I just eat the filling with a fork. 

Sone days I can eat 7 or 8 ounces of yogurt. Some days it is only 5. No rhyme or reason to it.

I'm like the others, my capacity varies day to day and meal to meal.  The biggest influencing factor is how moist the food is.  If its dry I eat a loss less than if it is in a sauce for example.

Bread of any sort for me is hard to digest, I am 8 months out...although I can now eat a whole taco (small corn tortilla) but it does fill me up pretty much for the whole day LOL...my stomach is not a morning person as of yet....

You will have to make your own decisions about what you put in your sleeve.

i have chosen to fill it with foods that have nutritional value and will help me meet my protein goals.

meeting your protein goal is incredibly important. Your body needs protein for everything and if it doesn't get enough from food, your body wil take protein from your muscles and other organs to use as fuel. 

I am almost 4 months post-op, and sometimes I just can't put more than 2 oz in. At other times I can put 7oz, and 3 hours later - another 6oz. My question, though, would be, at 6 weeks post-op, is it wise to down the whole felafel wrap? Don't forget that 80% of hunger comes from the head and not from the stomach. One you start biting into these kind of thing, it's difficult to stop.

basically,  it is slider foods versus dense protein....wraps/tortillas/crackers all really easy to eat a lot.  Try a piece of 4 oz chicken breast (weighed) ....at any time of day and see how much you eat.  Just sayin'

:lol: that makes allot of sense, I didn't think about that. And you're right I cannot eat chicken breast without feeling extremely full. Matter of fact, when I eat chicken I only eat the drummette of the party wings, that's enough for me. So glad you brought that to my attention.