washingtondcme

I'm 30 something and lacking discipline!

I've been lacking discipline. I've been having the wrong snacks before bed-time. So, even though I have been eating healthy during the day, I am ruining it by eating a few chips at night. I have a few temptations like thinking it is okay to finish my son's lunch. I will stop this non-sense today. I need to have some healthy snacks available for bed time. I will ready an extra veggie snack for that time. I need to exercise more... I will make some appointments today to go hiking with a buddy.  Wow. It's great to talk this over with you all. Please chime in with suggestions! Rock on!

I'm tired of being my same old self. I have this habit of living in denial. When I hit a wall, I normally turn to food. At the moment, I am not doing that. At least that is good. For now on, I think when I am feeling kind of blue, I need to hit the gym. The gym always makes me smile. It's time for me to grow up. And I need to find some good clean constructive ways to help me loose weight and feel good.

Edited by washingtondcme

Any advice would be appreciated! Rock on!

I'm struggling for answers. I feel disconnected from the forum. Now I know how Mugatu felt. After all, he invented the piano key necktie!

How about just getting rid of all snacks in the house? I know that seems extreme, but perhaps substituting your son's snacks with healthier options will kill the temptation.

Have you considered mindfulness training or meditation to change how your brain works on this issue?  There is lots of cutting edge information available on the latest neuroscience for dealing with urges and managing emotions and behavior.  

How about just getting rid of all snacks in the house? I know that seems extreme, but perhaps substituting your son's snacks with healthier options will kill the temptation.

I agree with this one.  If I'm not supposed to eat it, I don't buy it.  It's easier to say "no" once at the store than it is to say no over and over again if it's in the cupboard at home.  How old is your son?  You could tailor his meals so it's OK for you to finish them. If not then grab it the second he's done and throw what's left in the garbage and pour something gross on top of it.

Great advice team! regarding tossing out my son's excess lunch. I have just discovered that I have an aversion to "wasting food." It is something I learned since I came from a big family. I am coming to the conclusion that I have a life-long set of bad eating habits that I need to fix. Today, I am going to deal with this bad habit head on. Today, the 1/2 a bag of chips or a 1/2 sandwich for instance, will get tossed in the garbage immediately! My son is 6 years old and fortunately, most of his snacks are healthy.

Regarding mind training and meditation. I dabbled into brain wave technology in college. It was quite successful. I love the Beta wave. It tends to make me focused and productive. I've now just downloaded an app that can play different waves. Nice! Thanks for bringing that subject up Gamzap! It will be a great tool to add to my arsenal. I need to figure out which brain wave I tend to have when I feel like overeating. And then knowing which wave is the "bad wave" I can perhaps switch to my Beta wave. For me, the Beta wave tends to be a highly organized and the systematic wave for me. It is where my discipline lives.

I am on the computer a lot. So, I found this great site for waves:

http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/isochronicBrainwaveGenerator.php

I am also a man of faith. So each day, I am dedicating myself to surrendering my food addiction to God. I realize I can't do this on my own.

Thank you guys so much. I am not used to asking for help. I believe I have been living in denial regarding my weight. Today, I refuse to live in denial anymore. I want to live a long life and dream of seeing my grandchildren and maybe great grandchildren. But, I won't likely fulfill this dream if I do not deal with my excess weight.

Rock on!

I am also a man of faith. So each day, I am dedicating myself to surrendering my food addiction to God. I realize I can't do this on my own.

Thank you guys so much. I am not used to asking for help. I believe I have been living in denial regarding my weight. Today, I refuse to live in denial anymore. I want to live a long life and dream of seeing my grandchildren and maybe great grandchildren. But, I won't likely fulfill this dream if I do not deal with my excess weight.

Rock on!

I love your attitude!

You are so right - we can't do this on our own.  We need the help of family, friends and/or a faith in a higher power.

I can't think of anything stronger than wanting to be around for grandchildren.

412lreJJEML.jpg