washingtondcme

Been Stuck on the Same Weight for 2 months

I've been lacking discipline. I've been having the wrong snacks before bed-time. So, even though I have been eating healthy during the day, I am ruining it by eating a few chips at night. I have a few temptations like thinking it is okay to finish my son's lunch. I will stop this non-sense today. I need to have some healthy snacks available for bed time. I will ready an extra veggie snack for that time. I need to exercise more... I will make some appointments today to go hiking with a buddy.  Wow. It's great to talk this over with you all. Please chime in with suggestions! Rock on!

You could take some music with you by yourself if your buddy cancels. I pace around my house a lot if I have down time. Usually when I'm on TT. Gotta keep moving! When your on the phone too! If your to high on calories for the day and you want a snack you could eat a pickle if your stomach allows it. I think they say no calories...or like 5 calories. I'm not sure if sodium content in the pickles is a no go? Can anyone tell me? 

Also can you have spicy stuff like hot sauce yet? My favorite snack is cucumbers and hot sauce. (I'm pre-op)

If you have calories left, cottage cheese, or a small handful of nuts if you can eat those. 

You can do it washington! 

Thanks NoFear. Great advice! I forgot all about my music for the last few days. That should spark great feelings. Funny that you should mention pickles. I ran out a few weeks ago and did not replace. Pickles are a great low calorie and low sodium alternative. I found the baby dills about 3 inches to be quite tasty. Nice! Thanks again! Rock on!

I've got to try that cucumber and hot sauce. Is there a certain hot sauce that you recommend? Will taco sauce work? I've been eating lots of cucumbers, but I have been eating them plain. I recently added a bit of vinegar and that has helped a lot for flavor. With vinegar as well, cucumbers are great!

Edited by washingtondcme
Needed to add more comment

Cheese sticks are my go to.  2 = 100 calories (mine have 50 calories each;). Jerky is also a back up..  Greek yogurt if craving something sweet..

My go to's are Lite Babybells, jerky and cottage cheese.  Just about having the right stuff around,

And hard boiled eggs. A little high in fat, but a good protein source. You can throw away the yolk if the fat will push you over your goals.

My challenge is usually I have no calories left by the end of the day. Last night I tried carrot sticks. Carrots are a little bit boring, but the thought of more weeks of no weight loss was more important to me than my lack of eating a non-exciting food at 9pm. This morning I got on the scale. Wow -2 lbs! Rock on!

Mostly in the morning, I do not have much of an appetite. I am considering always taking advantage of that. I can get by with a coffee until about 10 am. I wake up at 5:30 am. I am wondering if that is a bad idea. Also, by 10 am, I am not super hungry. And when I do eat, I am still able to make good choices.

Is eating a late breakfast bad for weight loss? I take my coffee with milk and artificial sweetener, so there is probably about 25 calories in that. I found an answer to this. The answer is no. In fact, skipping breakfast sometimes may not be bad.  Here is a good article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/?_r=0

Edited by washingtondcme
More to add.

Thank you everyone! Yes, I too need to stock up on my go to's.

Mine small quantity proteins are: Sardines, cheese, pork rinds, beef stick, pepperoni slices, eggs and cottage cheese.

And light food unlimited are: mixed frozen veggies, curcumbers, pickles, carrots, celery sticks, brocoli steamed or stir fried.

Or mixed proteins and fats such as jalapeno poppers baked, veggie omlettes with no oil, and chicken salads with light dressings.

It's like I've had amnesia or something. I will get back on track and stock up on all supplies!

Thanks team!

Another option is to "snack" with no or vey low calorie drinks that are sweet.  I find that when I am hungry and want something to eat, that I can solve the problem by drinking a nice cold bottle of Vitamin Water Zero or Bai5.  Try this, it may work for you too.

Thank you so much for that tip. I drink a lot of bottled water and Wilers powder added to my water. The Wiler's powder is getting kind of old. Yes, I will give the Vitamin Water Zero a try as well. So, April to July, I lost 40 lbs which was about 10lbs per month. Then August and up to September 15th, I did not loose anything. In the last few days, I have been strictly taking everyone's advice. And now, it looks like I might be busting through some weight loss. 

Thank you everybody.  It's nice to get everyone's input on getting past this setback. All the advice is beginning to work! 

It's breakfast time and I've already sliced up some cucumber for later to snack on when my hunger surges. (My Go Tos are ready to go!)

I am planning no buffets for the next few months. I am also planning on eating salads on dine out events. 

Rock on!

Are you meeting your protein goals?

Protein is so important.

my belief is that if you meet your protein goals, keep your carbs low and drink lots of fluid, you will lose.

I have the same issue of not being a breakfast person and being a late night "snack" (ahem full meal) person.  I am pre-op so I'm in the reading everything I can stage.  One thing I read is that the late night snacking affects the feeling of hunger in the morning.  So simple, right? So obvious! Well, even if I stop eating at 8pm, let's say, I'm still not a huge breakfast person.  I do have to have my coffee.  I've learned that breakfast doesn't have to be bacon and eggs.  It can be a cheese stick or a yogurt and some fruit.  I'm going to try that myself to see if it helps me with my late night snack habit.  Best of luck to you and congrats on your fierce perseverance!!!!! xo

Low calorie meals I ate when I was losing fast were a chunk of boneless skinless chicken breast (40 calories) a couple tablespoons of green beans (15 calories) a couple tablespoons of stewed tomatoes (15 calories) a nutritious meal for less than 100 calories. Sometimes I ate this meal for lunch and dinner. Also another low calorie favorite was a salad with chicken breast, green pepper, celery, tomato, and diet dressing. Depending on what exactly is in the salad it's about 100- 200 calories. This is what I ate often during my weight loss where my weight was melting fast. It filled me up, it was nutritious and the weight came off fast so I was enthusiastic about keeping on my diet. I usually ate a chunk of chicken just before I went to bed. Breakfast was a scrambled egg (100 calories) with cheese. (100 calories)  When I had a taste for sweets I drank a Swiss Miss Diet Chocolate. (25 calories)  Very rich tasting and chocolatey.

Just some menu suggestions..

Good Luck

Cheyenne

Thank you everyone for your advice. Regarding Protein, I tend to get plenty. And as for carbs, I stay away from the simple carbs. Instead, I opt for cabbage, celery, cucumbers and so forth. (Veggie Carbs with lots of water and light on the simple carbs. So corn, for instance, usually is not the best pick for me) So, my biggest challenge seems to be keeping the calories low.

Additionally, my family and friends love fast food and buffets. It seems like any deviation from my planned meal and calories will result in no weight loss or even weight gain. Buffets in my town are great for roasted veggies. So usually that is mostly what I stick too. Fast food is tricky. My go to tends to be a small lettuce burger. (Like a McDouble with no bread.)

Ideally for me, if I eat 600 to 1000 calories and walk 3 days a week, this behavior will usually translate into a 2 to 3 lb weight loss per week. If I happen to eat 2000 calories in one day of the 7, it seems the weight loss will be -1 or even 0 for the week.

I have noticed, however, that my inches seem to be improving a lot. 1 inch off my gut, 1 inch off my waist and 1 inch off my thighs and flabby calves. At least that part seems to have accelerated a lot.

Last week was successful; I lost 3 lbs. But over the weekend, a fast food binge turned my weight loss into -1 instead. Frustrating.

I've been hanging at around 202 to 205. Mentally this very slow stage that I am going through is tough. I so desperately want to get below 200. Yikes! Today is Monday. I pledge to exercise today. Monday's are my super busy day. No excused today! I will do exercise. That is my promise to myself! One day cannot change my life-long abuse. But today, I will keep my word and work out.

One friend of mine, who is super successful at everything he does keyed me in on something. (He is a pilot, an engineer, engaged to a beautiful doctor, believes strongly in God and more.) He told me faith in God is #1, but exercise gives a person the drive to achieve everything else. He told me, "John, it is so easy to get lazy and say, "Well today, I was just too busy to exercise." And in statement, he revealed the lie that I tell myself almost every day!

I want to achieve a weight under 200! My progress has been good so far. But the good habits that got me to drop from 287 to 202 cannot get me to the next level. And at the moment, these habits are only sustaining my weight. Thus, that which got me here will not get me to the next level where I need to be.

I need to continue to focus on the good eating. But, I need to step it up on exercise. For me, light long walks, frequently, are the key!

I also need to not make a big deal about getting started. I'm going to line up the walking shoes and workout clothes ahead of time. And at 10 pm, which is when I am free, I will go for it!

Edited by washingtondcme
more detail to add